2013 CMAX Hybrid not Considered Clean Special Fuel in Virginia?

NavyRuss

Recently I purchased a 2013 used CMAX.  When I received my tax bill in my county, I was surprised to find I did not receive the tax discount offered to clean special fuel vehicles.  I checked the Virginia DMV's website and found that the 2013 CMAX 2.0L Energi is listed as a clean special fuel and both the 2014 CMAX 2.0L Energi and 2014 CMAX 2.0 L but that the 2013 CMAX 2.0L is not. 

Anyone know why the 2013 CMAX non-energi models don't get the tax discount in Virginia when the 2014 and 2015 models do?  Were the 2013 standard models less efficient?  I thought the whole reason I was paying extra for a hybrid was to try to capture some of the tax discounts and now find the 2013 model appears not to qualify.  I don't think every county in Virginia offers a property tax discount but mine does and they base it off the vehicles that qualify for clean special fuel plates.  I never guessed that a CMAX hybrid would just be classified as a standard vehicle when the Prius and other competitors qualify.

Edited by NavyRuss

Why dont you ask VA what their requirements are for a vehicle to qualify? That would probably answer your question.

I guess the indirect implication of my question-- is the 2013 basic CMAX any less fuel efficient that the 2014 or 2015 models which receive the fuel efficient property tax break?  I guess I can call the VA DMV, but my assumption is that I will receive a non-answer.  A bit odd that the 2014 and 2015 CMAX models qualify for special VA license plates for fuel efficient vehicles but the 2013 model does not.  Is it perhaps a political issue rather than one of fuel efficiency?  -- i.e. until recently VA charged a higher registration fee for hybrid vehicles with the assumption they would receive less fuel tax revenue, so maybe the 2013 model year was caught up in politics while 2014 and 2015 receive the state tax breaks?  Or has the CMAX fuel efficiency improved on more recent model year non-energi vehicles?  Really appreciate your comments!  Thanks again!

Edited by NavyRuss

Most states, as well as the federal government, now limit "clean vehicles" to those that can be driven in electric mode -- so normal hybrids are excluded. At least part of the reason for this, as I understand, is that there are now too many hybrids on the road, particularly in comparison with the money/costs that were allocated for these programs when they were put into the law. Even with plug-in hybrids, such as the Energi, they still typically only qualify for partial tax breaks (around half) as compared to electric only vehicles.

On the flip side, as someone else mentioned on this forum, EVs and plug in hybrids are not holding their value well. For example, in searching my area for the C-Max, dealers seem to be asking around $2,000 less for the Energi than comparably equipped Hybrids -- despite the Energi costing more to buy new.

Navy.

I asked the same question....  here was my response

Dear Mr. Smith,

Vehicles that qualify for clean special fuel plates are approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. Once they notify DMV, the vehicle list is updated, DMV doesn't make the determination.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for visiting www.dmvnow.com.

Navy.

I asked the same question....  here was my response

Dear Mr. Smith,

Vehicles that qualify for clean special fuel plates are approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. Once they notify DMV, the vehicle list is updated, DMV doesn't make the determination.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for visiting www.dmvnow.com.

Is VA a CARB state? I recently learned that it is the automobile manufacturer that has to specify which CARB category applies. It depends on how the car compares to other vehicles, and how long the manufacturer is willing to warrant the car. But this sounds wrong, I don't think Ford would have changed it for one year.