Stopping Thieves: Buy A Faraday Cage?

This might be a good idea if your car is parked outside.  I have been seeing these stories for some time but never saw how it was happening until now.  A cheap device amplifies the car's signal to/from the fob and unlocks the car.  This article is about a Prius but I would not be surprised if it applies to all cars that use this technology.  http://jalopnik.com/thieving-teens-likely-used-17-gadget-to-break-into-ny-1698036188?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=wednesdayPM

Very interesting! I would be concerned about putting keys in the freezer though like the NYT writer is doing because the cold could damage other components of the keys.

I wonder how far the range can be amplified with one of those devices and if it would allow thieves to start the car or just unlock it.

Very interesting! I would be concerned about putting keys in the freezer though like the NYT writer is doing because the cold could damage other components of the keys.

I wonder how far the range can be amplified with one of those devices and if it would allow thieves to start the car or just unlock it.

From what I recall reading, it only helps to unlock the car. The sensors in the car can tell the key is not in the car, despite the booster, and so it refuses to start.

Locks/keys  just keep honest people honest.

and to be honest.  if someone wants to break into my car,  I'd much rather them doing it without the collateral damage.

I had a 1994 Impala SS  wife and I were at Lamaze classes ath the hospital in Florida.   The theives bent the door skin, broke the window, tried to cut out the air bag, , cut the seats, bled on the seats and broke the dash removing the radio.  at the time I had a $1000 deductible.... 

This might be a good idea if your car is parked outside.  I have been seeing these stories for some time but never saw how it was happening until now.  A cheap device amplifies the car's signal to/from the fob and unlocks the car.  This article is about a Prius but I would not be surprised if it applies to all cars that use this technology.  http://jalopnik.com/thieving-teens-likely-used-17-gadget-to-break-into-ny-1698036188?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=wednesdayPM

One option is to grab a car key faraday cage pouch which would do the job nicely: http://www.carkeycage.com