Which would you buy?

raadsel

I've been looking at two different C-Maxes, one is a 2013 and has almost 40,000 miles, the other is a 2014 with 27,000 miles. Other than that, they are very similar; both are SELs with the 302A package, both are CPO so come with the 100,000 mile warranty. Because of the model year and mileage differences, the 2014 is priced over $1,500 more than the 2013. 

Given this information, which would you buy?

I second the motion - only $1,500 for 13,000 fewer miles works out to 11.5 cents per mile. Strikes me as a pretty good deal.

Of course that assumes the overall pricing on either is acceptable. You didn't indicate how much was being asked for either of them.

What if the 2013 has a Pano roof, and the 2014 doesn't?

I have the pano roof, and would not have ordered it except that it came with the vehicle color I liked. If you really like the interior feel with the pano, by all means to with that.

But I think the 2014 is a better deal.

Check the initial sale date of the 2014. With the Certified PreOwned extended warranty, it probably doesn't matter much, but if you're still within the first 36 months since original sale, you'd still have ~9,000 miles and some number of months of original factory warranty remaining.

If it was my purchase, I'd always go for the pano roof. The option price increased from $1195 on the 2013's to $1315 on the 2014's and newer. It completely changes the perception of the vehicle interior, especially if you carry passengers and take extended trips. If you're virtually always commuting alone, traveling just a few miles, or traveling primarily at night, you would probably not appreciate the difference vs. the increased cost.

But if neither vehicle is exactly what you want, just keep looking.

There's no hurry, because not much can happen in the marketplace that would suddenly increase used-C-MAX resale prices, short of a sudden gas price increase well beyond $5 a gallon. Right now, there's an oil glut, and it is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. More than 62,000 C-MAX Hybrids and more than 20,000 C-MAX Energis have been sold since introduction, and many were fleet vehicles with panoramic roofs, especially the ones initially delivered in Florida.

I agree.  You can't put a price on the pano roof.  It completely opens up the interior.

When open. It is so hot here in SoCal that I don't open it that often. It is raining today, so I have it open!

Some folks have tinted the roof, I'm still thinking about that.

I had a sun roof for a few years.  SO glad its gone.  I hate the errant sun beam in the eyes and the reflective glare across the various surfaces.  Why would I want to increase that.  And oh yea more reasons to have to put on sun lotion.

I also just had a Melanoma just removed recently from my trucker wrist so to speak.  IE left wrist.  Clearly from lots of sun driving.

Edited by zalusky

Pretty much sums up my thinking of sunroofs. :)

But maybe a fixed panoramic roof as the link says "offers a level of openness to the driving experience that make them a treat to drivers and passengers alike".  But I hate a bright, sun filled cabin (would be virtually every day in AZ).   Also, isn't the pano roof essentially behind the driver's head? So, is there really a driver and front seat passenger $1200 / $1300 benefit? 

IMO, skip the pano roof and buy the 2014.