Dead battery

Caldecott

Went to start my C-Max and the battery was dead. Not even the dome lights came on. Nothing left on. It has auto headlight, auto everything. Jump started the battery, it ran ok and restarted fine. Now it's back to normal. I have just over 1,000 miles. I'm afraid it may happen again. Anyone else have this problem? I'm bringing it to the dealer to have it checked out.

• 3 months later...

Howdy all,

New here, left a message on the poll page.

Leased our C-MAX from Kemp Ford on Jan 15. March 10th dead in AM. About 800 mi. Had AAA come out and jump start. He read 6v when testing. Called dealer next day and they had me bring it in. Left it overnight and was called next day and told they could find nothing wrong.

A couple of interesting things: the 1st service manager I talked to said this was the first he had heard this problem. A 2nd SM (the 1st went to lunch) said this was the 2nd time he has seen this. The 1st one was fixed (?) by replacing the electrics in the doors. (or something like that)

Also when I got the repair sheet it said that "the 12 volt battery is unable maintaing a charge, or becomes discharged when the vehicle is operated with maximum electrical loads for short drive cycles and then left unattended for several hours. Engineering is currently investigating this concern...... Advise customers to consider not using high load accessories, such as laptops and DVD players during these peak load conditions. Continue to monitor OASIS for updates."

When they called the wife to let us know we could pick up the car, the lady at the dealership said that her hubby drives hybrids a lot and he recommends using the brake a lot to keep a charge in the battery.(regen).

And to members oxnard and andrewwx, when we went to Vista for a test drive they had to jump start the C-MAX to get off the lot. (white one)

lumike

Purchased our CMax SE December 1, 2012.  First dead battery 2-1-13.  Second dead battery 2-26-13.  First time dealer replaced the battery at our insistence. Second time they took the instrument panel off checked for chaffing wire harnesses, loose connections, tons of diagnostics, monitored for battery draws, and still could not duplicate the problem. I did notice on several occasions the rear battery fan would come on while the car was parked and had not been driven.  I live in the Pacific Northwest, so in December, January and February we are not talking some sort of warm weather issue here.  The service manager at the dealer drove my car for a week and couln not duplicate the problem.  I have heard the fan and clicking noises from both ends of the car after it has been parked. 

The first dead battery, all electronics were dead.  The gear shifter cannot be moved when there is no power.  The second dead battery the dash lights flickered and then went dead.

I was fortunate that each time this occurred I was given a loaner but I live in a remote location and each time this happens I lose anywhere from 2-4 hours and the car has had to be flatbedded out of our driveway.  We had to jump start it to get the shifter into neutral or reverse and push the car out of the garage.

So what is the procedure for a lemon law thing, I love the car but if I wanted an unreliable vehicle I could've saved a ton of cash and purchased a used econo car...

So far the car has been mine for 106 days and been in the shop for 18 days.  I haven't even made my second payment on it yet.

For the Lemon Law, you first need to take a look at what your particular state allows as it can differ from state to state.  You can this information by googling.  However, I suggest you talk to the service manager at your dealership first.  Or, the manager of the dealership.  Ask about a buy back or refund or trade for another C-Max.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,  We purchased our C-max in November, 2012. First dead battery February 15, 2013. Second dead battery-- April 3. Not only dead but all four windows were down when I went out in the late afternoon to drive it and it was raining. No we didn't leave them down.  It was raining when I took my child to school and therefore I would not have rolled them down.  Now the entire interior is wet and the car still has no power so I can't roll up windows!

Ha Ha... I have no idea how the windows got down.  I NEVER roll all four down and cetainly would noty have had them down in the rain nor would I leave the car with them down.

What a mess :)

Triple, That is interesting info. if you hold the unlock button down on the key fob, all four windows will roll down. This is helpful when walking towards the car on a warm afternoon, especially since the sunroof doesn't open.

Is it possible that the key fob accidentally triggered the window roll-down?

I understand anything is possible.  It is just so darn unlikely ---I have gone over and over in my head,  my normal exiting the car routine.

Of course it hasn't rained here in weeks either .., so I could have mistakenly hit the unlock key..but I just find it so unlikely... I have never experienced that before...on accident or purpose...and for it to happen the same time as my mystery dead battery is very suspicious.

Anyway, roadside jumped it, I happily drove it back to the Dship service dept. for a check out --second time (6 1/2 weeks since first dead battery)

They called yesterday to say they replaced the battery, are trying to get permission to clean/dry the interior and are planning to keep it until Monday/Tuesday to check everything out.  Offered a rental but I declined bc I didn't think it necessary.  I really want this to be fixed and move on. 

Almost am afraid to mention this bc I know we are going to sound like a crazy family... but I will.  We own three Fords. AND, Up until Feb 15 (when the new C-Max battery was dead) Never had an Issue..seriously...  Today, April 5, My daughter and I drove to Texas A & M  at 5:30AM for a campus tour. Parked our 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid in the Visitor Garage 8:45 AM.  Left Campus at 12:45 AM--so car in no way  hot, weather perfect, etc.  My almost 17 year old was driving us home when 30-35 minutes in a warning light came on,  "Safely Pull Over NOW " came up and ----TOTAL LOSS OF POWER--.  Never been so afraid in my life...bc of the scream! (I was trying to nap LOL)   I thought she had overreacted, told her to pull over, turn car off,etc.  We did then started back up. Then back on the small state highway..and it happened again about 10 minutes later. Needless to say experienced driver took over.  In order to shorten the story, it took us 6 hours to get home (normal 3 hour drive) had 9 more total loss of power events, forced to drive access roads and uncharted territory to avoid Interstate, 18 wheelers and concrete construction blocks all of which could have led to an unpleasant death.  

Should have taken Ford Service Dept up on loaner car!  Now  Afraid to drive anywhere in Escape without a shoulder to"Safely" pull over on or store to pull in..Who are they kidding--65 MPH to total DEAD--no warning--scary doesn't begin to describe   I am THANKFUL I was with her and we are both alive. Looks like Ill be searching a new Forum in a minute...(after I finish my Margarita Mas Fina :)

Yippie!  My C-max is back today--dropped my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid in its place due to near death experience on highway...complete power failure--multiple times without warning I might add--bad "CARma" in our house right now...

Some of  what the our service paperwork on the C-Max  SE  says:

PERFORM TSB per Ford Hotline   CAUSE:..... MT 1121108A  2756  WF.....N/C (no charge)

PARTS:....  (?)  6398 121108A 0.40 Contacted Hotline and was instructed to perform TSB #12-11-8 and REPROGRAM the FCDIM. per 12-11-8 (?)

MT BATTERY 2756 WF

1 BXT*67R* BATTERY

1 WPRD 10655

....... Verified concern tested, charged and retested battery, and found battery will not hold a charge..REPLACED BATTERY

Multipoint Inspection Performed... (No Charge N/C)

They also removed all of my seats and carpet and throughly cleaned and dried them due to the rain damage...

(N/C no charge)

So----- thanks to all of you who helped get the ball rolling on the changes needed!!!! I hope this is our last unscheduled visit for the C-Max  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 2013 Cmax Oct. 31 2012. now have 6500 miles. Five times dead battery no start. been in dealer four times taking it back again after no start 4/20/2013. I have gave them car over night once and five days the last time  still has battery go dead. this time I'm will pursuing the lemon law in Florida. It says three strikes and they our out. It would be a great car if not for this issue. I get over 50mpg.

Bought 2013 Cmax Oct. 31 2012. now have 6500 miles. Five times dead battery no start. been in dealer four times taking it back again after no start 4/20/2013. I have gave them car over night once and five days the last time  still has battery go dead. this time I'm will pursuing the lemon law in Florida. It says three strikes and they our out. It would be a great car if not for this issue. I get over 50mpg.

Naplesfred:

Please keep us posted as to the resolution of this.  Based on the poll posted in the Batteries sub-forum, over 30 of us C-Max owners have experienced dead batteries in our new C-Max.  It's a shame--Ford has a serious problem on its hands.

Edited by BobJustBob

Got my Cmax back today after five times dead battery. They do not know how to fix it yet Ford is working on it. However they said that all short trips may be the cause. The engine only runs %40 of the time. The computer is programmed to use up the Hybrid electric in the last few miles. This runs the battery down with no charging before home.

I set the headlights to manual when I turn off the key they go out. This saves a 20 second drain on the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

20 days ok after fix. I found that if I leave my climate control on with the AC off, I get 5 mpg less, 48 versus 53mpg.  Has anyone tried this?

Are you saying that your mileage is better with climate control on and AC on?  Or do you mean mileage is better with everything off?  Our mileage is much better with climate and AC off.

he means turn off AC but leave fan on. AC light will be off. to do this you have to turn it on, then press ac button to just use the fan only.

AC surely lowers mpg as it has to use engine to power the ac unit to cool the air temp to your desired setpoint

Edited by salsaguy

he means turn off AC but leave fan on. AC light will be off. to do this you have to turn it on, then press ac button to just use the fan only.

AC surely lowers mpg as it has to use engine to power the ac unit to cool the air temp to your desired setpoint

Actually, I believe the air conditioning compressor is electric, unlike most cars.  However, the "juice" has to come from somewhere, so the engine will need to recharge the battery more often when using AC, and that "surely lowers mpg".

Edited by Bill-N

It does. DId a Mammoth to San Fernando run last weekend, temps were a HOT 95 and peaked at 99F (Mojave) as I went thru Independence thru Mojave, wifey had the AC on 64 and that trip back cost me 47MPG and I usually do this with 51/52MPG (if I recall correctly). Same full load, route and all but this time the AC was one. The interior was cool but DANG, not one for the MPG record book :sad:

Let me make it clear about MPG. With the climate control completely off I get 53 mpg. With the climate control on with the AC  OFF I get 47 mpg. I tried this twice and got the same result. This is all in town driving.

Set up My View in the right display for the Climate and Other usage screen and then run your tests again and see what the average usage readings are for both tests.  It's hard to believe that the other usage (which should just be the blower motor) jumps up enough to lower your FE by over 10%.  About what speed is the blower setting when climate is on but ac is off?  

Also, how many miles are you running these tests for?  and is the battery level the same on both tests?