Newest Car I've Ever Owned

revanoff2

Hey all,

After doing some searching, it occurs to me that this forum would be the best option for membership. 

I went to Hertz last Wednesday (8/19/15) to look at a Chrysler 300 (for what reason I don't recall O_o ). Anyway, the car had way too many miles on it (124k) for what I am going to do. My job requires that I drive over 1000 miles at a time at least once a month. I needed something that would be comfy and get good fuel economy.

The gentleman at Hertz was very helpful, and found me this tasty little 2013 C-Max SEL. I hadn't even considered one because I had no idea they even existed. It has higher miles on it compared to what seems most people have (64k when I bought it, 66k now). It was a fleet car of some kind for awhile, and Hertz bought it from whatever company that was. They went through it tip to stern and found absolutely nothing wrong with it.

There are some very small nicks on the outside, but the interior looks and feels brand new. Being the SEL, it has a lot of the really nice things, group 300A. So; no Sony Stereo, no auto opening rear liftgate, no panoramic sunroof, and no back up camera. Honestly, I don't need any of that stuff. It is Ingot Silver which I call "Inconspicuous Business Silver". 

Couple of questions: Who has the highest miles on their C-Max? I'd like to get at least another 100k out of it before shipping it off to someone else, or I may choose to drive it into the ground. Also, has anyone got a spare navigation SD card? Mine is missing and while the compass is neat looking, its pretty much useless for getting around to specific locations; and I'd rather not need to use my phone for everything.

I really like how it drives; though it does seem to have some acceleration torque steer to the right, and deceleration torque steer to the left when only using regenerative braking to slow the car. As others have mentioned, you do have to be wary of parking, it turns about as sharp as the Exxon-Valdez.

I've also experienced the A/C freeze up situation. To prevent it from happening, I simply set the temp slightly higher and I haven't had a problem (68 deg min).

Anything else I should be concerned about? I look forward to being a part of this group.

20150819_194225_zps1ddab097.jpg

~Revanoff~

Edited by revanoff2

Couple of questions: Who has the highest miles on their C-Max? I'd like to get at least another 100k out of it before shipping it off to someone else, or I may choose to drive it into the ground. Also, has anyone got a spare navigation SD card? Mine is missing and while the compass is neat looking, its pretty much useless for getting around to specific locations; and I'd rather not need to use my phone for everything.

Navigation card won't do you any good if you don't have the Nav hardware installed -- when you look at the monitor on the dash, on the upper right quadrant, does it say something like "Nav software not found" or some such (there's a thread about what to look for here and I don't remember where it is exactly, but the monitor will definitely tell you if the Nav system is in place but the card isn't, whereas if you don't have the hardware you don't see that message).

If you DO have the hardware your best bet is eBay, where you can get the latest for around $35.

Navigation card won't do you any good if you don't have the Nav hardware installed -- when you look at the monitor on the dash, on the upper right quadrant, does it say something like "Nav software not found" or some such (there's a thread about what to look for here and I don't remember where it is exactly, but the monitor will definitely tell you if the Nav system is in place but the card isn't, whereas if you don't have the hardware you don't see that message).

If you DO have the hardware your best bet is eBay, where you can get the latest for around $35.

With the 300A package, I don't believe it has Navigation. Then again, another easy way to find out if Navigation is installed is to pull up the Window Sticker on one of the Ford Sticker lookup sites, like this one.

Um, not necessarily -- we don't have Sony audio but we have Nav.

If you have an SE, you obviously don't need the Sony sound system to get Nav. However, on the SEL, I believe he is correct. I don't believe the Navigation can be added as a separate option but rather you have to have, at least, the 301A package (or 203A on the SE).

If you have an SE, you obviously don't need the Sony sound system to get Nav. However, on the SEL, I believe he is correct. I don't believe the Navigation can be added as a separate option but rather you have to have, at least, the 301A package (or 203A on the SE).

Thank you---exactly.  We're talking about the SEL model here. 

Well shoot. I've been looking and saw many places where the info stated if I had a compass I had nav, but if 300a doesn't have Nav as standard, I guess I'm not going to get it.

I've had it for a little over a week, and put over 1000 miles on it since then. I genuinely do like the car, but I am still getting to know it. Today I played around with basically telling the car when I wanted ICE and when I didn't. Doing this yielded me 2 trips of about 14 miles each at 51mpg avg. I am astounded by this.

Granted, I won't get that on the open highway, but for between-town runs, and in-town I think it can pull some serious mpg, provided I drive with mileage in mind.

I am still interested in he/she who has the most miles. I will have 100k on this car within 6 months, so I guess it will be interesting to see just how far it will go.

I'll definitely be around. :)

~Revanoff~

Well shoot. I've been looking and saw many places where the info stated if I had a compass I had nav, but if 300a doesn't have Nav as standard, I guess I'm not going to get it.

I've had it for a little over a week, and put over 1000 miles on it since then. I genuinely do like the car, but I am still getting to know it. Today I played around with basically telling the car when I wanted ICE and when I didn't. Doing this yielded me 2 trips of about 14 miles each at 51mpg avg. I am astounded by this.

Granted, I won't get that on the open highway, but for between-town runs, and in-town I think it can pull some serious mpg, provided I drive with mileage in mind.

I am still interested in he/she who has the most miles. I will have 100k on this car within 6 months, so I guess it will be interesting to see just how far it will go.

I'll definitely be around. :)

~Revanoff~

The right hand driver display has the compass if you have Nav equipped.

There was a TSB on the freezing problem, your dealer can check to see if it applies to your car. TSB should be done for free even out of warranty.

There was a TSB on the freezing problem, your dealer can check to see if it applies to your car. TSB should be done for free even out of warranty.

You can check all Field Service Advisories for your car at the Ford Owner site, under recall. You do not need to sign in, or even an account, you merely need to type in your VIN.

Not true.

Every 2013 C-MAX has a simple compass display or the Efficiency Leaves display available in the right hand driver display screen.

Can't speak about newer model years, since we own a 2013 SE with Equipment Group 201A, and that does NOT include Nav.

Even when the Efficiency Leaves are displayed, a small direction indication, "N", "NW", "SE", and so on, is displayed in the lower right screen when the car is running.

Edited by kostby

Not true.

Every 2013 C-MAX has a simple compass display or the Efficiency Leaves display available in the right hand driver display screen.

Can't speak about newer model years, since we own a 2013 SE with Equipment Group 201A, and that does NOT include Nav.

Even when the Efficiency Leaves are displayed, a small direction indication, "N", "NW", "SE", and so on, is displayed in the lower right screen when the car is running.

That isn't the compass I was speaking of. The Nav has an actual graphic compass on the right hand driver display. You can use the arrows to set some nav destinations from that same screen.

I had thought the compass on other models would be on the MFT if anywhere, but I have no experience with the SE or those equipment groups. Good to know!

The "floating ball" type compass on the SE only jumps in 45 degree increments - quite lame.  The internal OBDII data moves smoothly in 1 degree steps.  They should have a real aircraft style instrument graphic like a heading indicator.

Yes, the compass on the C-Max is lacking. Not only do they do 45 degree increments but they switch directions around on the "floating ball" compass. At a minimum, I'd prefer seeing 22.5 degree increments, though I'd love having it change by degrees.

I have the compass selectable on the right-hand screen, as well as those useless leaves.

Per the factory Build sheet which I got from Ford, it doesn't specify NAV as an option with the options package I have, 300A.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but if I could locate a wrecked one, I'd pull the unit out and switch it with mine in a heartbeat.

For the Bluetooth issues, I performed the Gen2 v3.6 update to MFT, and that quickly solved a number of issues. It no longer skips on bluetooth playback, and the screen is much more responsive. Phone calls are answered and ended much more quickly than they used to be as well. Overall, I'm much happier with the MFT than I was previous.

On the update for fuel economy, is there a way that I can determine whether that update was performed on my vehicle? The Ford website doesn't list an update for the PCM on the subject, and the only other recalls are to do with the restraint system, and something else I can't remember.

I am achieving what the EPA sticker states most of the time, but only while using purely due diligence; driving it like a Hybrid instead of a normal ICE powered vehicle. 

Normal C-Max newb issues I suppose.

~Revanoff~