New C-Max owner of a used C-Max - worried about overcharging at 28miles EV.

jkaminsky

I recently purchased a 25k 2013 C-Max .

I'm trying to understand the basics of using the EV. I guess the first question is why does my battery after my all day charge or my all night charge (I charge at home and then I charge at work, my commute is about 33 miles each way)... why do I sometimes get 21miles max, 23miles and this morning it showed 28miles available in EV mode.

I would think that the capacity is computer controlled to prevent overcharging? Is 28miles charged going to cause a problem?

Is it common for the gas cap to be very delayed in opening (last time I pressed it 3 times, and after 10 seconds I started looking in the owners manual to see what I was doing wrong)... at 15 seconds it popped open and I felt foolish.

How common is it to get the Audio Off bug? It happened to me.

Btw I've put 2000 miles on the car since I bought it, I love the car, and my current mpg is 69.5.

Probably good questions for the ENERGI forum since this is the HYBRID forum and the majority of us do not have the ability to plug in our cars.

(Not to suggest you can't be on both forums but questions here relate to features shared by both models)

Good luck!

Edited by Adrian_L

I am an Energi owner (2 plus years).  You can't over-charge. Actually, it is best to leave the car plugged in at all times. Take advantage of the MyFord Mobile app. Precondition your car using the scheduler in the app.  This is especially helpful in winter. The delay with the gas cap in intentional and normal. It is a sealed and pressurized system to preserve gas freshness. Hit the open button once. In a few seconds it will pop. The projected battery number is quite variable base on weather, driving habits and climate control use. All is good.  You will really appreciate the car in spite of a few quirks! Check out the CMax Energi forum for good info.

I recently purchased a 25k 2013 C-Max .

I'm trying to understand the basics of using the EV. I guess the first question is why does my battery after my all day charge or my all night charge (I charge at home and then I charge at work, my commute is about 33 miles each way)... why do I sometimes get 21miles max, 23miles and this morning it showed 28miles available in EV mode.

I would think that the capacity is computer controlled to prevent overcharging? Is 28miles charged going to cause a problem?

Is it common for the gas cap to be very delayed in opening (last time I pressed it 3 times, and after 10 seconds I started looking in the owners manual to see what I was doing wrong)... at 15 seconds it popped open and I felt foolish.

How common is it to get the Audio Off bug? It happened to me.

Btw I've put 2000 miles on the car since I bought it, I love the car, and my current mpg is 69.5.

I do recommend you frequent the Energi forum, you will get more answers there. I read both, because the Energi is a hybrid at highway speeds.

The gas cap time depends on how much pressure has to be released. The energi pressurizes the gas tank so the gas lasts longer - it can go up to 18 months before the car forces you to use up the tank to keep the fuel fresh.

The range changes because it is based on the current Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE). If you have been getting good MPG, the estimated range will be higher. After my last road trip this past weekend, I only showed 25 on the HVB guage; I normally show 31 because I do most of my Energi driving in town. The computer can only estimate based on recent driving - it is trying to guess how much battery you are going to use. Long term, the main battery will lose some of its capacity to hold a charge, and the range will decrease. There are a couple of threads over on the Energi fourm, and the Fusion Energi forum, about this, but I'm not too worried myself. The HVB should indeed last the "life of the car".

EDIT: Don't worry about "overcharging"; the car has protection circuits to prevent damage.

Edited by stevedebi

I do recommend you frequent the Energi forum, you will get more answers there. I read both, because the Energi is a hybrid at highway speeds.

The gas cap time depends on how much pressure has to be released. The energi pressurizes the gas tank so the gas lasts longer - it can go up to 1800 miles before the car forces you to use up the tank to keep the fuel fresh.

The range changes because it is based on the current Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE). If you have been getting good MPG, the estimated range will be higher. After my last road trip this past weekend, I only showed 25 on the HVB guage; I normally show 31 because I do most of my Energi driving in town. The computer can only estimate based on recent driving - it is trying to guess how much battery you are going to use. Long term, the main battery will lose some of its capacity to hold a charge, and the range will decrease. There are a couple of threads over on the Energi fourm, and the Fusion Energi forum, about this, but I'm not too worried myself. The HVB should indeed last the "life of the car".

EDIT: Don't worry about "overcharging"; the car has protection circuits to prevent damage.

My understanding is that the Energi will not burn fuel based on range (at 1800 miles) but rather on the age of the fuel -- from what I recall it is after a year. Is this information incorrect?