New C-max reliability results at Consumer Reports

djc

Consumer Reports appears to have updated their car reliability survey results.
That data is based on a large survey of owners.  It is not CR editors' opinions.

The 2013 C-max now shows up as "excellent" in all potential trouble areas except:

Drive system  -      very good    (2014 same)
  Fuel system  -       very good     (2014 improves to excellent)
  Electrical system - very good    (   "                "     )
  Body Integrity   -    average       (2014 same)
  Power Equipment - poor           (2014 improves to average)
  Audio System  -      poor           (2014 improves to below average)

"Body integrity" includes squeeks, ratlles, wind noise, water leaks.
"Power equipment" includes cruise control, wiper motor, lights, body control module, tire pressure monitors, and more.

The overall reliability of the 2014 is rated as "average".   They say they have insufficient data to report 2015 models.

CR says that based on the data they expect reliability of a new C-max to be 17% below average.
That is much better than the previous prediction (if I remember correctly it was something like 83% below average).

I believe the improvement in the overal reliability score, and the improvement from 2013 to 2014, indicate Ford is fixing / has fixed many of the first model year problems with the C-max.   The CR results are now closer to the pretty good reliability experience, based on a much smaller data set, reported at www.truedelta.com.

I suspect that the below average overall scores may stem from above average numbers of C-max owners experiencing problems with the 12 volt electrical system (especially draining overnight and preventing vehicle start), and possibly the cold weather loud moaning vibration noise being counted as "body integrity".  

Elsewhere CR says the owner survey data show cars overall have continued to improve in reliability in recent years.  Thus "average" is pretty good.  These newest survey data should be good news for C-max owners -- especially those in the sunbelt with a new 12 volt battery.

"Elsewhere CR says the owner survey data show cars overall have continued to improve in reliability in recent years.  Thus "average" is pretty good."

Exactly!  We had our '13 SEL for 30K miles - it never had to go back to the dealer for anything but software updates.  Our '15 SEL has been perfect so far (OK...only 600 miles LOL)

Let's suppose that the average car has a problem that requires a repair once during the 3 year warranty period, and a specific model has a problem that requires a repair once every year and half, then that is twice as often, and yes, much worse than average...but still not too bad

Is the audio rating based on repair of the system?   I would think this one might be more about how users like using it?   

I think the system is very good and one of the best in class (MFT).   Sure there are better but I have seem much worse.   I think the power of what this can do adds confusion on how to use.   I also think the sound quality is very good too. 

I wonder what the breakdown is for the Sync system, MFT and the Sony options? 

We have an SEL with the upgraded Sony head unit - I consider the base radio sound quality fair to poor - the Sony unit only fair, at best.  That assessment is based on the sound of the Sirius radio and USB drives; I have heard that CDs sound better, but I have not tested that (who uses CDs anymore?  I say that, and I work for a CD/DVD company!).  I consider the operation of the system to be good to very good.  Yes, some functions are controlled with small buttons on the touch screen, and I have a few more minor quibbles, but the system does usually recognize my voice commands and does what it's supposed to do.

Is the audio rating based on repair of the system?   I would think this one might be more about how users like using it?   

I think the system is very good and one of the best in class (MFT).   Sure there are better but I have seem much worse.   I think the power of what this can do adds confusion on how to use.   I also think the sound quality is very good too. 

I wonder what the breakdown is for the Sync system, MFT and the Sony options? 

I've taken the surveys many times.  The questions relate to "serious problems / down time / remedies".  I don't recall any questions on "sound quality".  IMO, CR needs to change the category label to rid consumers inference that the audio category is primarily related to the stuff highlighted in red below.

AUDIO SYSTEM (in-car electronics): CD or DVD players, radio, speakers, GPS, communication system (e.g., OnStar), infotainment system with integrated controls (e.g., MyFord Touch, Cadillac CUE, HondaLink), Bluetooth pairing, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors.

So, if your phone won't pair or somehow becomes unpaired, if the clock resets show the wrong time, if GPS puts you in the middle of a field, if integration of the the numerous systems is problematic , and so forth, that's a problem.  Some may believe such problems are serious and others may not.   There is downtime to go to the dealer for a fix - generally a software upgrade.  Then compared to other cars, C- Max owners have reported more issues / downtime with the "audio system" than others.  Of course, there are also hardware failures in the mix and we don't know how CR weights the components that make up the "audio system" category to come with their overall rating.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I've taken the surveys many times.  The questions relate to "serious problems / down time / remedies".  I don't recall any questions on "sound quality".  IMO, CR needs to change the category label to rid consumers inference that the audio category is primarily related to the stuff highlighted in red below.

AUDIO SYSTEM (in-car electronics): CD or DVD players, radio, speakers, GPS, communication system (e.g., OnStar), infotainment system with integrated controls (e.g., MyFord Touch, Cadillac CUE, HondaLink), Bluetooth pairing, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors.

So, if your phone won't pair or somehow becomes unpaired, if the clock resets show the wrong time, if GPS puts you in the middle of a field, if integration of the the numerous systems is problematic , and so forth, that's a problem.  Some may believe such problems are serious and others may not.   There is downtime to go to the dealer for a fix - generally a software upgrade.  Then compared to other cars, C- Max owners have reported more issues / downtime with the "audio system" than others.  Of course, there are also hardware failures in the mix and we don't know how CR weights the components that make up the "audio system" category to come with their overall rating.

Thx for the explanation.  That does make sense. 

I think this an issue today and why many things are being simplified.  More complicated gives you the power to do more but also makes it harder to use.   I remember when everyone was talking about the Ford Sync system and how advanced it was.  You could do so much more with it.  If someone can not figure out something then they blame the system.  Now they have removed features to simplify things.  

I do believe that the system could be improved like any computer system but I think Ford is getting a bad rap for a good system.    

We have an SEL with the upgraded Sony head unit - I consider the base radio sound quality fair to poor - the Sony unit only fair, at best.  That assessment is based on the sound of the Sirius radio and USB drives; I have heard that CDs sound better, but I have not tested that (who uses CDs anymore?  I say that, and I work for a CD/DVD company!).  I consider the operation of the system to be good to very good.  Yes, some functions are controlled with small buttons on the touch screen, and I have a few more minor quibbles, but the system does usually recognize my voice commands and does what it's supposed to do.

I'd have to agree with you.  My previous Audi had a Bose surround system and you absolutely felt enveloped by the music.  The Sony system is OK, but it is not a premium system in comparison.

Edited by Adrian_L

Our cars have telematic cellular modems in them, with data capabilities. It's beyond me why they don't design the systems so that software patches to fix the identified problems aren't automatically pushed out to the cars, without driver intervention (or even knowledge), instead of the hassle and inconvenience (and expense) of taking the car to the dealer so that they can plug in their special computer for a few minutes.

This way, instead of identifying a problem and letting owners trickle in for a fix once they get exasperated enough with the issue and decide to book an appointment, the issue just "fixes itself" and the owner is happy and NOT inconvenienced.

THIS should be the future of automobiles.

At worst, mail us out a $2 USB drive once or twice a year that we can plug into the car and that updates all of the systems with the latest patches and fixes.

Edited by GSMacLean