can the onboard charger be upgraded?[2016 cmax]

I was trying to look into the future [after a few dozen payments] to upgrade the 3.3 KW on board charger to 6.6 or better. I noticed that the ford focus ev has a 6.6KW charger and was hoping someone had extra money and tried to see how similar they were for the cmax.

At one point it was noted that the cmax form is based off the Focus so I was hoping they might be swappable and use the charger from it. I also have to hope the wiring is strong enough to take the added charge.

Thanks for any info

• 2 weeks later...

While I understand the desire to 'soup up" your car, this isn't where you want to do that. Consider a few facts.

- Your Energi has 1/3 the HVB capacity of the Focus EV (which truly needs 6.6 KWh)

- Batteries charge by application of a voltage greater than the cell's current output voltage, so current flows into the battery.

- Li-ion battery life is quickly shortened by overcharging and high temperatures.

If you upgraded to the 6.6 KWh charger, one of two things happens

If you're in luck, the 6.6 KWh charger never delivers more than the 3.3KWh the Energi's battery can absorb. The batteries never get hot, and never see over-voltage, and last years.

If not, your HVB dies really early.

Frank

I was trying to look into the future [after a few dozen payments] to upgrade the 3.3 KW on board charger to 6.6 or better. I noticed that the ford focus ev has a 6.6KW charger and was hoping someone had extra money and tried to see how similar they were for the cmax.

At one point it was noted that the cmax form is based off the Focus so I was hoping they might be swappable and use the charger from it. I also have to hope the wiring is strong enough to take the added charge.

Thanks for any info

Just curious why this is on a C-Max hybrid forum. Did you mean to post in the Energi Forum?