Thinking about C-Max Hybrid or C-Max Energi

jack

I'm considering a Ford C-Max Energi or Hybrid. The Energi seems to get (according to press material) great mileage, but since I travel a lot will probably need something that can be refueled easier, so I am leaning toward the C-Max Hybrid.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not new to Hybrids, but I would be to Electrics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Jack! I think I might be leaning toward the hybrid as well. An all electric will be the tops when they can nail down some more practical refueling stations.

That's what I was thinking to as well. For those longer trips, the C-Max Electric won't be practical; although, I expect the C-Max Energi to be very popular as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
How long is the commute?

61 miles each way, and my company does not have a place to plug in while at work, I suggested it about a year ago but there is not one yet, not sure if one will be available in the future.

So this makes me think that an Energi would not my much more for me than paying a higher price (looks like $4-5K higher) just to have the newest thing on the block -- but I'm not one who cares alot about showing off the latest gadget, so the hybrid is probably the way to go for me.

61 miles each way, and my company does not have a place to plug in while at work, I suggested it about a year ago but there is not one yet, not sure if one will be available in the future.

So this makes me think that an Energi would not my much more for me than paying a higher price (looks like $4-5K higher) just to have the newest thing on the block -- but I'm not one who cares alot about showing off the latest gadget, so the hybrid is probably the way to go for me.

That's the problem - the plugin at work or while on the road. Hybrid looks like what I might be getting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I, too, am considering one of the two C-Max cars. My question is The Energi will give you 20 miles on electric power only. Will the Hybrid be more like the Prius in that some gas is used at most times and you really do not get an electric only ride?, thanks

I had a Prius for over 120k miles, and I expect the C-Max hybrid will act in the same way, meaning that the below are the general guidelines for when electric and gas is used:

1 - Speeds under 62 MPH (for the C-Max, my Prius was 40) when additional power is not needed to attain the speed desired by the driver = electric only.

2 - Speeds over 62MPH = gas engine is on.

3 - Speed is under 62 MPH but additional power is needed to attain the speed desired by the driver = gas engine kicks in.

4 - Speed is under 62 MPH but high-voltage battery is low and needs charging = gas engine kicks in.

5 - Speed is under 62 MPH but engine's emissions system needs to heat up to maintain optimal temperature = gas engine kicks in.

6 - Other reasons that I can't think of or don't understand (others can contribute here) = gas engine kicks in.

The mix of the above under good driving conditions (conditions for EPA ratings are always very good) should yield the 47MPG as advertised on the sticker.

Good luck!

ps - I think the speed for electric only on the Energi is 85MPH if I read another posting correctly.

Edited by jeff_h

• 1 month later...

I believe the only difference between the hybrid and Energi is a larger battery pack. They both have gas engines and transmission. Energi costs more money when compared against the Hybrid model but I think the Energi has more features with the base model.

I believe the only difference between the hybrid and Energi is a larger battery pack. They both have gas engines and transmission. Energi costs more money when compared against the Hybrid model but I think the Energi has more features with the base model.

The biggest drawback aside from the price on the Energi is the hit that cargo space takes. I found a pic (and a cool website) which demonstrates how much they raised the cargo floor to accomodate the bigger battery pack. It would be cool to be able to top off the battery though (would even like to be able to do it on the hybrid since it makes a big difference in EV performance).

http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2012/02/accounting-for-trunc-space-of-c-max.html