ECO cruise opinions?

jhritz

I tried my second drive into work with ECO cruise turned off.  It could be a fluke, but it seemed like it was going in and out of EV mode more frequently.

Is anyone seeing a benefit to ECO cruise mode?  Is there a speed that seems to work the best?  62 mph is the maximum speed for EV mode on the flat.

I have only used eco cruise because it does a satisfactory job of maintaining speed and I have had no reason to bypass it. As for the frequency of EV mode, it would be better to jump in and out of EV less frequently, but stay there longer. I believe that is the goal of ECO. Of course, it could also be a bunch of bunk.

Tdefny - can you elaborate on why you think it's better to jump in and out of EV less frequently?  It make sense to me, but curious to hear someone else's thinking or common theory about this.   I've been trying to figure out for myself whether to go in EV mode whenever possible, even if the battery is almost depleted (by engaging ICE just long enough to charge the battery ever so slightly, then revert back to EV until battery is depleted, rinse/repeat), or to sustain ICE mode until the battery charges at least 1/2 power, 3/4 even better, then dive into EV mode for a sustained period of time.    Anyone else, feel free to chime in.  

• 3 weeks later...

ECO cruise still seems like it may not be the right choice in every situation.  The MPGomatic folks note that you can induce EV mode by double-tapping the cruise decel.  I note that if you are out of ECO cruise, you can go into EV with one decel.  I am back to thinking that ECO cruise may prevent opportunistic use of EV mode in rolling hills.  On relatively flat roads, it's probably a win.  All too often, I look down and I have plenty of battery but the car isn't using EV even at 60-62 mph.

• 1 year later...

ECO Cruise has always worked fine for us for freeway cruising, (and longer arterials).  I do 'drop out' occasionally in order to take advantage of the terrain / HV battery charge (or keep up with heavy traffic).

Edited by C-MaxSea

My 2c:

1. Eco seems to ride right next to max EV point (allowing speed to drop a bit if necessary) much better and easier than the driver can.  I would expect the switch out of EV to be delayed (compared to "normal" cruise) thereby staying in EV longer.
  2. Eco is great for roads where you can use cruise but have periodic stops.  You can accelerate "manually" to just over 20 mph, tap Resume, and get a nice easy 2 bar acceleration all the way back up to speed.  Normal cruise is too fast.
  3. I use standard cruise when traffic is heavier and there are hills so car stays at constant speed and doesn't mess with traffic flow. (It bugs me when other drivers speed up and slow down so neither should I.)  But its a pain to switch modes.  Left, up, right, right, right, down(up), OK, left, left, left, down, right - or some such rigmarole! :drop:

If 62 MPH is the maximum speed you can get for EV mode, you need a software update.  The CMax should be able to run EV mode at speeds up to 80 MPH.

HannahWCU

Welcome back to the forum.  It's good to have more NC owners active.

Under what conditions and for how long are you getting full EV mode above 62mph?  I had the update done almost a year ago.  I think I have seen full EV mode above 62mph, but I feel that it has been for very brief moments and not that often.

Normal cruise on a normal non CMax car would be:

Set cruise to 55 mph and it stays there. If you climb a hill the RPMs will significantly increase (bog down/load the engine and really suck up the gas and mpgs)

ECO Cruise with the CMax means :

Set cruise to 55 mph and the car will smartly increase or decrease the speed +/- 5 or so mph to keep the cruise AROUND the setpoint but get the best mpgs,

If you climb a hill it will reduce the speed so it doesnt ramp up the engine rpms like a normal car

If you like to feather the pedal on your own you can sometimes get better mpgs if you leave eco cruise off (like super nypermilers Jus-A-CMax and others)

if you just want to drive and forget it and not play the "mpg game" then just leave it on

ECO cruise is best left for longer trips on the highway instead of the shorter trips around town but some like it on around town as well

If you do it in town you wil get folks mad if you set it fotr 35 or 40 mph and then the car drops down the speed to 25-30 when there is a big hill.

if you drive flat roads its best to be ON but if lots of rolling hills leave it off but then again you wont get as good mpgs as it will perform like normal cars cruise and increase the rpms and waste more gas.

its a give and take

run a week with it on and note the mpgs and then a week with it off and note the mpgs and then determine what works best for your style of driving

some dont like that aspect

what have you done so far?

I tried my second drive into work with ECO cruise turned off.  It could be a fluke, but it seemed like it was going in and out of EV mode more frequently.

Is anyone seeing a benefit to ECO cruise mode?  Is there a speed that seems to work the best?  62 mph is the maximum speed for EV mode on the flat.

Edited by salsaguy

its one of the bigger forums but there is a lot of talk about ECO cruise in this topic/forum:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/288-c-max-fuel-mileage-what-are-you-getting/

have fun reading 500+ posts though

Here's some results from the guys at MPGomatic on the C-Max Hybrid:  http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/12/13/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-gas-mileage-testing-notes/

In short:

ECOcruise on, HVAC off, cruise set to 60 mph: 46.4 MPG

hmm there should be a 1 button switch so you can do ECO cruise or regular cruise

on a hybrid the more options to make it easy to get great MPG is in Fords best interest to make it easy for the owner

and to avoid controversy on low mpg #s

hmmmm

My 2c:

1. I use standard cruise when traffic is heavier and there are hills so car stays at constant speed and doesn't mess with traffic flow. (It bugs me when other drivers speed up and slow down so neither should I.)  But its a pain to switch modes.  Left, up, right, right, right, down(up), OK, left, left, left, down, right - or some such rigmarole! :drop:

obviously it needs to be on a flat or downhill road not an uphill

and yes many reported it doesnt last long when at 80 mph

sucks up battery really fast

HannahWCU

Under what conditions and for how long are you getting full EV mode above 62mph?  I had the update done almost a year ago.  I think I have seen full EV mode above 62mph, but I feel that it has been for very brief moments and not that often.

Truthfully, I don't drive much above posted speed limits ... It is a Hybrid   :rockon:

That said, I regularly go full EV in the 65-70 mph range on the downside of the many hills I drive over..

HannahWCU

...ECO Cruise with the CMax means :

Set cruise to 55 mph and the car will smartly increase or decrease the speed +/- 5 or so mph ...?

Not in my car. Perhaps 2 mph but nothing like 5mph. And it's not as simple as grade. Yes, you have to go downhill to see just how fast it will let you go, but...

- on a flat after a downhill, it stays at the higher setting quite a while

- on a flat after an uphill, it stays at the lower setting for a while

Still a dog to follow on the highway, as my wife discovered over Memorial Day... but also easy to control; blip cruise off and on, and you'll fall in EV mode if the grade and SOC warrant. Set+ and Set- both do what they claim, just not immediately.

I guess you might call it "patient cruise" for those who don't need precise control or immediate response?

HAve fun,

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

Love to cruise. Ride is so smooth cause I use the cruise to moderate my speed in conjunction with the decease speed ahead and speed limit signs. You can hit right on the speed limit at the end speed sign. My instantaneous fe is 41.3. Just use the accelerator to get to speed up if I have someone behind. Working my way to my next goal of 45. The day trips I often get 56,65 but the best is when I go a few hundred feet and it shows 999.9.And the hill assist is a great tool on these western mountain declines where you need to keep it say around 25-35.