Capless tank, any possible problems with topping off?

Jus-A-CMax

I am curious, I tend to top off the tank till it hits a quarter. Are there any issues with doing this with the capless fueling system in the CMax?

No more than in any other car...  I have found I can add a half gallon after the pump kicks off in both the C-Max and my SHO which is a different variant of "cap less"... 

• 3 weeks later...

The owners manual specifically address this issue:  For consistent results when filling the fuel tank:

•  Turn the ignition off before fueling; an inaccurate reading results if the engine is left running.

•  Use the same fill rate (low–medium–high) each time the tank is filled.

•  Allow no more than two automatic click–offs when filling.

Results are most accurate when the filling method is consistent.  

• 3 weeks later...

But why would you top off?  Generally, when the pump clicks off, the tank is full. Overfilling can pollute the environment with fumes, get you charged for gas you don't get, damage your vehicle's vapor recovery system, and damage the station's vapor recovery system. That's why (at least in my state) every single gas pump has an EPA sticker on it specifically saying not to top off. Here's the lowdown: http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Sorry to be a party pooper...those fumes are precursors to smog, and I have family members with asthma, so this topic is a bit personal to me.

But why would you top off?  Generally, when the pump clicks off, the tank is full. Overfilling can pollute the environment with fumes, get you charged for gas you don't get, damage your vehicle's vapor recovery system, and damage the station's vapor recovery system. That's why (at least in my state) every single gas pump has an EPA sticker on it specifically saying not to top off. Here's the lowdown: http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Sorry to be a party pooper...those fumes are precursors to smog, and I have family members with asthma, so this topic is a bit personal to me.

Why? Because quite often the pumps click off well before my tank is full.  And no two pumps are exactly alike in the amount of back pressure it takes to cause it to shutoff.  I have had pumps click off when there was still room in the gas tank for five gallons.   And the Gas Pump based Vapor Recovery Systems are going away,  see this article on GreenCar Reports for the details...

Edited by RedLdr1

Why? Because quite often the pumps click off well before my tank is full.  And no two pumps are exactly alike in the amount of back pressure it takes to cause it to shutoff.  I have had pumps click off when there was still room in the gas tank for five gallons.   And the Gas Pump based Vapor Recovery Systems are going away,  see this article on GreenCar Reports for the details...

Mine started doing that just before the "Check Filler Inlet" light came on permanently. Now even at the slowest flow rate I can't pump more than a gallon or two at a time. I can usually fill no more than 3/4 tank before the pump will not go any more. Ford dealer says a redesigned part should be here next week and this will be my 3rd time for a fix.

If its clicking off that early, try using it on a lower flow rate. Don't run it at full flow...

I do not use full flow on any vehicle I currently own.  I've seen to many gas tank "burps" :nonono:  down the sides of vehicles...  Back when I had my diesel Excursion, and was pumping in around fifty gallons, I used full flow so I could finish filling up on the same day I started... ;)  

Edited by RedLdr1

Mine started doing that just before the "Check Filler Inlet" light came on permanently. Now even at the slowest flow rate I can't pump more than a gallon or two at a time. I can usually fill no more than 3/4 tank before the pump will not go any more. Ford dealer says a redesigned part should be here next week and this will be my 3rd time for a fix.

Boy darrelld, you got the car that likes to vacation at the dealership. Sorry to hear this man.

No trouble with filling my gas tank as my husband always does it, and he is Mr. Meticulous (retired pilot who always follows the rules) and goes slowly and never has spilled a drop of gas in his life.  Now me I have had to go inside the gas station asking for help to get something to absorb my spillage so the gas station doesn't go up in flames.LOL I have the tendency to day dream and getting fuel is one of my least favourite things.

Being an old gas pump jockey ( remember the days when someone would come fill your tank when you ran over the bell-cord entering the station- ah memories) we would round up to the next quarter of a dollar for ease in making change.

With pump nozzles now recovering gas fumes in many cities, and with car emission systems designed to capture vapors, it is a bit more complicated.  As one of the other posts stated, if you fill "up to the brim" gas can invade the charcoal cannister that is intended to process the fumes.  That can render your emissions bad and guess what- if you have emissions testing for vehicle registration, you would fail.  IT can be expensive to replace.

With that background, to your exact question:  with fuel over $3, getting to the next quarter dollar is less than a tenth of a gallon, and most shutoffs happen with that much space.  Top off slightly to make the "CFO" happy.....but don't try to squeeze in another $ 2-3 of gas.  If the auto shut-off kicks more than twice, stop fueling.

Hope that helps.

Side note: a friend was looking over my C-Max and talking about fuel prices lately.  About how we were so happy a month ago when prices went under $3 for about a week in Phoenix - then remembering when we had a pipeline problem a few years ago and people panicked when it went of $2 as fuel was short in supply.   And now we read how the supply is being constricted and Brent crude is headed up---makes the C-Max look better and better.

Out

• 2 months later...

Ditto, I have asthma also

• 3 months later...

Being an old gas pump jockey ( remember the days when someone would come fill your tank when you ran over the bell-cord entering the station- ah memories) we would round up to the next quarter of a dollar for ease in making change.

With pump nozzles now recovering gas fumes in many cities, and with car emission systems designed to capture vapors, it is a bit more complicated.  As one of the other posts stated, if you fill "up to the brim" gas can invade the charcoal cannister that is intended to process the fumes.  That can render your emissions bad and guess what- if you have emissions testing for vehicle registration, you would fail.  IT can be expensive to replace.

I remember those days and am still living them because I live in NJ where it is ILLEGAL to pump your own gas.  I am planning to quickly hop out of the car and guide the attendant about how to properly fill the tank and observe that he doesn't do it wrong or spill any. Ugh, what a hassle this will be!  Luckily, I'm not expecting to visit the gas station too often!

I remember those days and am still living them because I live in NJ where it is ILLEGAL to pump your own gas.  I am planning to quickly hop out of the car and guide the attendant about how to properly fill the tank and observe that he doesn't do it wrong or spill any. Ugh, what a hassle this will be!  Luckily, I'm not expecting to visit the gas station too often!

Same thing can be said for anyone living in Oregon. Basically the only way to pump your own gas there is to go to a Pacific Pride or CFN station. 

It irks me as a Washington State resident, that Oregon Residents can come up here and purchase items tax-free (sales tax exempt), yet when we go down there we have to pay the additional fee for beverages & have to have our gas pumped for us (however let us pump our own gas, & you can have sales tax exemptions).