Seems the market wanted something other than a Prius afterall

AgentCMAX

There were a lot of people doubting Ford's strategy of only offering the C-MAX in a hybrid.  With Ford's quality having improved dramatically over the years and with Ford having not taken any tax-payer money, there has been a lot of people looking at Ford and purchasing their products.  It also seemed that people were waiting for something that was U.S. made and affordable.

Well the reason I bought was the styling and then the value.  I hate the Prius look, the centered console, poor performance, and lack of upscale appointments.

For $30K Ford has all the features of a $40K car.  It just feels solid.  My wife is short and when she kept seeing seats you had to pump to raise it turned her off.

I bet a lot of other people felt the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

My last Ford was an Australian Falcon XR-6, bought that in 1998 brand spanking new and it was a great car. Fast for it's time but now, if I raced that car agains the CMax in 0-60, the Max would kick its butt. It was a 0-100 8 second car, manual shift. 

Really good finish, top engine and great wheels. I've always liked Ford, it was solid and very little things go wrong with it. Back in those days, the more you drive, the more it was a tax relief (Aussies tax rules) and I drove it a ton.

This CMax finish is solid, everything is tight, no squeaks - I am impressed with the Ford build so far. 

In 2008, I looked hard at a 2009 Prius and 2009 Jetta TDI and bought the Jetta.  In 2012, I looked hard at a Prius again and bought the C-Max for virtually all the reasons stated above.  

As I see it, the only two things the Prius has over most cars is fuel economy and reliability. In most other attributes like perfomance, refinements, comfort, handling and so forth, the Prius is woefully lacking.  Hopefully, the C-Max will match or surpass the reliability of the Prius.  Time will tell.

With respect to fuel economy, I was aware prior to buying my C-Max that the fuel economy is likely not going to be as good as a Prius.  But, the likely difference in fuel savings with the Prius simply didn't outweigh the other benefits of the C-Max.

• 2 weeks later...

This year I looked at the Jetta TDI wagon and the Prius and the Volt and the C-Max and it was C-Max for me by a good bit.  The mileage at 37 is really just fine with me; the interior quality and the quiet interior and more rear seat room were the deciding factors, notably the leather seats of the SEL.  Downside is the wider turning radius, and we'll just have to live with it.  Looking forward to delivery in February.

TDI was second choice.

Volt would have been in contention with a roomier interior.

We didn't care for the Prius much.

Motor Trend Prius V vs C-Max review (NOT a comparison test!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RYVjrb80o

Jerry

US made and affordable had nothing to do with my choice.

I just liked it better than the Prius or the Volt.

My last Ford was garbage. Lets hope things have changed in 20 years.

I agree with the 2nd line, but not on the 1st.  I try and support US manufacturers when they have a good product, and am happy to see that Ford has a potential winner on it's hands.  There is no shame in buying American (or making that part of the buying choice).  Being affordable put it on my list (unlike their Focus Hybrid which priced itself out of the market). 

Regarding the last point, I've had a ford before and it was a good car, even with high miles, but I think Ford needs to be more active in soliciting feedback from owners with the C-max.  It is hard to fight an impression and negative ones seem to get the most traction.  I have friends who love my car, but have negative impressions of Ford - and they have never owned one.  The C-max (which likely draws in non traditional Ford buyers) is really a chance to be aggressive in showing that quality is a major concern.  I'd like to see Ford send out an owner survey at 3 months and then 9 months on a new model like this so they can sift out any problems and then actually address the ones they can.

Edited by CNCGeek

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all make cars in America.  So does BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes.  Hyundai/Kia do too.

My 1999 Honda Valkyrie sported more American content than the equivalent Harley Davidsons of that time. No matter where the CEO gets his mail, "Made in USA" does not have to mean Ford & Chevy.

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all make cars in America.  So does BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes.  Hyundai/Kia do too.

My 1999 Honda Valkyrie sported more American content than the equivalent Harley Davidsons of that time. No matter where the CEO gets his mail, "Made in USA" does not have to mean Ford & Chevy.

I was responding to the broadly stated "US made" in your original post, which would also cover those "Made in the USA" in your second post, but I believe I understand your viewpoint now.