HF 35 ECVT Ford Oil Change Recommendations/ Mercon LV/Gear Oil...

stratosurfer

All,

With ECVT going out and weighing options, I have been researching these long drain intervals that Ford puts on their transmissions of all stripes, not just our HF-35 ECVTS. As we know, there are known issues with the 2013-2014 Fusion/C-Max Hybrid and PHEV HF-35's. When I source a replacement HF-35 I am considering Amsoil Full Synthetic instead of the Ford Mercon LV and putting a quart of Molyslip in place of one quart. My question to the group, from my review of the HF-35 I don't see anything resembling a clutch, or any other mechanical device requiring friction to operate. But for the electric motors this transmission looks more like a differential mechanically. With these transmissions failing I can see majorly shortening the drain intervals, but furthermore, would it not be sensible to consider a more gear lube-oriented product than Mercon LV? I understand that the motor windings have a ceramic coating that I suppose Mercon LV has been tested to not degrade, but I think, again in light of the short lives of these transmissions (do we truly know that problem is definitively fixed?) I would think a lighter weight gear oil (80w?) would be more appropriate for this purely mechanical hybrid drive, maybe with some molyslip added in. We do know that transmissions are failing routinely from the early models, and Ford will not recall. The 150K drain interval seems dubious in light of this. The Mercon LV seems to be used purely due to the Low Viscosity to gain mpgs, which is great until you replace a transmission and all the gains are lost. 

In summary: I have a failing HF-35 in light for a salvage unit, still driving but quite loud on Regen and EV modes, should I try some differential synthetic in the unit? With Molyslip?

I've seen a number of videos of mechanics discussing these extended drains recommended by Ford on most all of their transmission, that the 150K sounds great, until to replace a tranny out of warranty...

Thoughts appreciated.

Well, we get our car back tomorrow along with the old transmission which promptly gets torn apart.  I'll let you know if I find a clutch in there!  More seriously, I'll try and figure out what wore out (or what part was missing!?!?!) that allowed a gear to wear a hole clear through the side of the case.  Ford really should do something for customers with such bizarre failures - we're not talking about a normal wear out mode here (at least I hope not!).

As to oil, I have no answers to your questions but would wonder about heat dissipation (you can monitor temps of course) and possible electrical conductivity.  The windings are insulated but there might be bare surfaces at the connectors.  I'll try and figure that out during tear down.  Again, I have no knowledge of the various oils - they might all be good insulators but there are voltages in the hundreds and possible transients above that.

I think most of us are happy with this Ford Hybrid Vehicle EXCEPT for this rather serious transmission longevity issue. I think I will just drop a quart of molyslip in my ecvt and see if that slows the condition from proceeding much faster. Yes Ford should do a recall, but i suppose, at this point, they may not even have a good solution?

I know I will be interested in what you find when you tear it down.

BTW, what year model salvage HF-35 was it again?

THX

MBM

Anyone know what the transmission failure rate is on c-max?

On the 2013/2014 it seems to be not a matter of if, but when. I think Snowstorm got 172K or so on his so that somewhat mitigates the failures that have happened (often under 50K miles: but under warranty). I'm at 123K with whining getting louder on REGEN and EV modes, trying to source a salvage tranny now.

• 2 weeks later...

In my case it made more noise when the ICE was running.

Paul

That’s interesting, mine are so loud on REGEN and EV modes I don’t really know if mine is ‘loud’ on ICE mode in comparison. I seem to have almost the exact same symptoms experienced by SnowStorm. Did you have to replace yours?