Car not starting

ewalsh

OK, so I bought a used 2013 Ford Cmax Hybrid (no plug in) in 2016. Occasionally, and on more than one occurrence, I will turn the key to start the car, and the "ready to drive" message will not appear. The check engine light will come on instantly. I can put the car in gear, but when I step on the gas, nothing happens. I also cannot turn my steering wheel. I purchased a diagnostic machine, and this morning when it happened, the machine said there were no errors and everything was working fine. Obviously not! Anyway, if I turn off the car, open the driver's door, close the door, and restart the car, everything magically works.

WHY?!

Please help me.

Edited by ewalsh

What code reader did you purchase? The FORScan App for smartphones will scan all modules in the car. Since the check engine light is on, there are diagnostic trouble codes. You likely just need a code reader that scans all the Ford modules. You will need an elm327 interface to plug into the OBDIi port. Read the link below.

https://forscan.org/

The starting instructions in the Owner's Manual states:

Vehicles with an Ignition Key:
Note: Do not touch the accelerator pedal.
1. Fully press the brake pedal.
2. Turn the key to position III. Release the key when the engine starts.

Vehicles with Keyless Start:
Note: Do not touch the accelerator pedal.
1. Fully press the brake pedal.
2. Press the button

Are you depressing the brake pedal when turning the key/pressing button? 

If not, you will not get the Ready to Drive indication (and Check Engine will illuminate).

I believe the brake needs to be depressed to facilitate some sort of safety check, or the car will not start.

I just checked operations with ForScan.  The only DTC that is set when I don't press the brake pedal when starting is B10D7:81-2F PATS Key (Invalid Serial Data Received) from the body control module but this DTC does not trigger the CEL.   If the OP presses the brake pedal and car does not start but gets this DTC, perhaps the brake switch is faulty.