A/C Fan Rumbling -> Cabin Air Filter

stratosurfer

All, I’ve isolated a noise from the dash as my A/C blower fan or motor as producing a ‘rumble’ that is quite pronounced at high speeds. I’ve got the auto thermostat SEL package so I can manually over-ride it to a slower speed which greatly reduces the noise. Am I looking an an A/C Fan/Motor replacement. Secondarily since this happened I reviewed changing the cabin air filter, it seems a fairly major job... Meaning I thought I might replace it to see if it took some load off the A/C blower motor, no chance after watching the Care Care Kiosk video. 

Anyone had to replace their C-Max A/C Blower/Motor? Dealer only repair? Cabin Filter?

Thanks

Mark

If you have an air conditioned garage that would be ideal, the worst part is usually 90F in 90% humidity when I try to change mine and it's not easy to lay across the passenger footwell area.  I get why they put the filter box there but it was a lot easier on the Prius and HHR (right behind the glove box vs. under the center console stack in C-MAX/Focus).

Edited by jestevens

It was fairly easy in our 2018 C-Max - minimal fasteners to remove. The awkward part was compressing the filter to fit through the opening. It doesn't just slide in like the tray-style filters.

Also check under the hood next to each hood hinge where leaves and debris can collect. Remove debris with forceps or chop sticks, then flush the area with bursts from a garden hose. The foam wedges inside seem permeable to water, which will then drain behind the front wheels.

• 1 month later...