new tires

Marc Smith

so had a flat today.  thankfully close to home so i was able to pump it back up and get home.    weird.  run around all morning and stopped for lunch came out and it was flat.

sidewall almost looks like it was stabbed... 

but I got my moneys worth out of these tires.  ran them a bit too long.  77K for the originals

So I don't see myself owning this car for another 77K miles.  and 900 bucks for tires is a stretch...  I'm thinking about maybe 2-3 years and this car will be gone.

Anyone have any success stories with other tires?

I like my General AltiMax RT43s (look at TireRack for ratings / review).  One will lose some FE over the Energy Savers (maybe 2-3% or about 1 mpg at 40 mpg) but gain better handling especially in wet conditions. Two years ago I paid $475 out the door (including tax and free rotation for life).  I also added a specially priced $39 alignment with tire purchase which brought the total cost to about $520.  I saved about $300 at that time over ES (including Michelin $70 promotion). 

27k miles on now with tread wear virtually flat across tires (no cupping, feathering, and noise as I experienced with the Energy Savers and Ecopia Plus) with around 6/32" tread remaining on all 4 tires. I run around 47-50 psi.  Checked this morning via ForScan and all tires are between 48.7 and 48.9 psi @ 74F.  Since tires wear slower as tread depth decreases, I'd expect 65 k+ if I ran them down to the wear bars (which I never do).

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

i knew i was going to replace them this year before my annual safety inspection.  last year they said they were getting close.  Glad it happened when it did.  Its not uncommon for me to head out of town 80-100 miles away.  would have sucked to have gotten stranded...

That's why, even with legal tread remaining, I go ahead and replace. TX heat isn't kind to tires. Inconvenience, in rural TX, is a real pain.

so had a flat today.  thankfully close to home so i was able to pump it back up and get home.    weird.  run around all morning and stopped for lunch came out and it was flat.

sidewall almost looks like it was stabbed... 

but I got my moneys worth out of these tires.  ran them a bit too long.  77K for the originals

So I don't see myself owning this car for another 77K miles.  and 900 bucks for tires is a stretch...  I'm thinking about maybe 2-3 years and this car will be gone.

Anyone have any success stories with other tires?

I would recommend giving NTB house brand tires a look (some branded as epic, others such as aspen, etc.).  While not for our cmax, bought a set for our minivan that we drive about 5,000 miles per year (epic tires with 40,000 mile warranty, so at 5,000 annually, more than I need) and so far quite happy with those.  As with our cmax, I keep epic tires inflated to near-max pressure, so... worth a look IMHO.

Greg

Ended up going with the BFG Advantage TA Sport. got a deal i think... 489.97

looks like I could go off roading with this tread  but surprisingly quiet 

Pain....yeah I usually am ahead of the curve on replacing tires,  as all it takes is early snow, or odd rain  and you'd be screwed    and with no spare.  is a true kick in the nuts if it happens away from home.

I have a full tank of gas,  and I'll set the pressures tonight and see how much MPG i lose..

Edited by Marc Smith

Ended up going with the BFG Advantage TA Sport. got a deal i think... 489.97

looks like I could go off roading with this tread  but surprisingly quiet 

Pain....yeah I usually am ahead of the curve on replacing tires,  as all it takes is early snow, or odd rain  and you'd be screwed    and with no spare.  is a true kick in the nuts if it happens away from home.

I have a full tank of gas,  and I'll set the pressures tonight and see how much MPG i lose..

Remember, new tires travel less revolutions than the old "worn" out tires per mile.  Assume about 2 * 9/32" or 2% increase in diameter of new tires over old. So, you can expect your FE will go down by 2% just due to the miles recorded by odometer being lower with the new tires.

Just got a Costco email and there's a $100 off on the BFGs.  So, price shows $547.92 + taxes including the $100 off.  So, your deal looks great.  By comparison, the ES have $150 off and are priced at 753.92 + tax including the $150 off.   So, you likely saved around $264 plus tax.  That buys about 100 gallons of gas around here.  

Remember, new tires travel less revolutions than the old "worn" out tires per mile.  Assume about 2 * 9/32" or 2% increase in diameter of new tires over old. So, you can expect your FE will go down by 2% just due to the miles recorded by odometer being lower with the new tires....

More tread depth does something else, too. It stiffens the tread, increasing rolling resistance. That might be a factor if you'd stay with the same tire or manufacturer. Over several lines, Michelin seems to be invariant; I never see the snow tire transition, and the wife's getting good mileage out of the CrossClimate. 

Frank 

New tires at Ford cost me less than $500 dollars for a set.

what brand and model of tire

Plus3- yeah figured overall I'd expect a drop since the tires are "low rolling resistance"  Eco tires.    pumped them up to 40 yesterday so we'll see.  also did oil change and air filter change. 

weather is going to change  so less AC use will help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Serious question....  do tires break in? 

the reason I ask, is that my fuel mileage is getting closer to what it should be for this time of the year since replacing the tires last october. 

I took a big mileage hit initially, put a bout a thousand on them and and then I did a 2000 mile road trip to florida an back. and BAM  mileage is almost back up to where it should be  given the weather, winter fuel, ect.

My driving style hasn't changed, the only thing that I can think of is that now that the tires have been on the car for several thousand miles they are "broken-in" like a new pair of shoes.

am i nuts?

13 hours ago, Marc Smith said:

... almost back up to where it should be  given the weather, winter fuel, ...

Unfortunately, weather and winter make it hard to see small changes like a few percent rolling resistance. See what you get this summer. I bet you're still ahead on the tires. 

Frank

• 1 month later...