Dreaded TSB No. 14B07 transmission issue. New user here, need help!

net48734

Long story short.. I need help....

First time poster here.. I made an account to ask this specific question in hopes that you people here can help me.

My wife bought a 2013 Fusion Hybrid 1 year ago or so from a large well known Ford dealer here in MI. Fast forward to Sept of this year and we notice a dime size spot of tranny fluid on garage floor. Called dealer and took car in. The vehicle does have an aftermarket warranty from Alpha warranty services. Never buy from them.... We get call from dealership that transmission is toast and the transfer shaft can be moved back and forth by hand and you shouldnt be able to do that I assume. Almost a 9800$ cost to fix, which I find is absolutely ridiculous for a car with a fair market price of 7-9K. Warranty company is denying claim because they say they do not cover mechanical breakdowns because of a leak. Now mind you when fluid was found it was parked and taken in the next available appointment time.

So, now im fighting with dealership and warranty company. Heres my question... I found this Customer Satisfaction Program 14B07 that details Ford was fixing this problem at no cost. I know this program was years ago now as I read through the threads on this topic but I believe this cars tranny failed from this issue.

Now, I am getting no help from dealership (no surprise) and Im wondering... how would I find out the previous owner got a letter for this problem, and if he in turn got it fixed or it was ever done? And if he did... if a new transmission was put in what is the warranty for these transmissions that were replaced? I realize this is a TSB and not a formal recall, but if my wifes cars VIN falls within the affected vehicles build dates and assembly plant (which from what I as a consumer can see was manufactured in Mexico and during that build time) and resembles the same exact problem that it describes in that  14B07 program. Im lost. We owe probably 10K on a car with a transmission failure that costs more than almost what we owe. I need to know if this previous owner A. got this letter and B. Had it replaced. I also need advice... what the hell do I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

The transmission failed before the leak. The mechanical breakdown was a bearing in the transmission. The leak did not cause the failure. The leak was caused by the transfer shaft moving because of the bearing failure. The moving transfer shaft then bored a hole through the transmission case allowing some oil to leak out.

You might need to hire an attorney to help in your case. The dealer might also be some help in documenting the chain of events that would create the leak. What is your recourse per the warranty contract in resolving disputes? I believe you would win in arbitration or if you would file suit.

The original transmission has a 8 yr, 100 k mile warranty on the transmission. The dealer knows whether the transmission was replaced prior. If it was replaced under warranty, IIRC, the balance of the original warranty applies. If the owner paid for the new transmission, IIRC, the greater of 24 months or balance of factory warranty. Look up Ford’s parts warranty.

One last point, you can source a used transmission and find a shop to install (perhaps even dealer at reasonable cost) for around $2500-$3000. Two members, snowstorm and stratosurfer, recently did it.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

There are several points and questions I see that relate to your problem:

• How, exactly, did the dealer determine that the transfer shaft can be moved "by hand"?  That shaft is buried inside the transmission.  To get access to it you have to remove engine/transmission assembly from car, remove transmission from engine and open it up.  If the shaft has bored a hole through the side of the transmission (as mine did), you can't see it until the engine and transmission are separated.  So, how did the dealer arrive at their diagnosis?
  • Are there any abnormal sounds associated with the transmission?  Mine only made a whirring or whine during EV mode around 30 to 40 MPH that would come and go depending on accelerating, coasting or braking.  Other possible sounds are thumping or grinding as described in CSP 14B07.
  • Later, TSB 17-0039 was issued that seems to address the same issue.
  • A totally separate leakage problem is described in TSB 15-0174 that involves sealant failure.  The transmission still has to be removed but can be repaired with new sealant.  However, their shouldn't be any noises.
  • Did the dealer check the transmission fluid level?  In my case, the level was low by maybe two quarts.  The fiber pan under the car was totally saturated.  I have no idea how drastic the leakage is if the sealant fails.
  • My Ford dealer replaced my transmission which I bought from a wrecking yard and had shipped to them.  I believe stratosurfer used an independent shop.
  • My dealer would have put in a new transmission from Ford for around $7k+.  I think it came with a 3 year warranty.

Really, you may need a second or third opinion (and second or third quote!).