How to change engine air filter!

The video looked too intensive for my arthritic hands compared to the ease of changing the filter on the Fusion! My 2017 Cmax is close to its 3rd year at 12,500 miles , so I think it doesn't need a change for another year or so!

Thanks for responding!

Edited by Degrandbob

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, stratosurfer said:

I think I’ll do mine now. I’m at 147,000 miles...

Probably go K&N.

I went with that because I could not find a dry synthetic (reusable) filter replacement.  Not sure if any other manufacturer makes one now for the C-MAX.  Here's the instructions from the Owner's Manual.  Note the "rotate" instruction and exactly how it is rotated, looks like clockwise 45 degrees.

Screenshot_20200103-062759.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Several of us on this board have changed the filter:  there are YouTube videos that explain it succinctly.  It's a bit fiddly, but quite doable.  If you go for it, by all means wear gloves that protect from abrasion and refrain from expletives in front of small children.  HOWEVER...for 25 bucks, it's a no-brainer to let them do it.

And I'll make the case that you don't want to change the engine air filter on a hybrid. Two reasons. 

Paper filter particulate efficiency improves with age

We tend to focus on the pressure drop across the filter because we tend to think in terms of maximum capability, giving the engine optimum conditions for running at redline. That's when the pressure drop matters. At low to moderate RPM, particulate efficiency is more important. One measure is the amount of Si in the oil. My levels are half the initial SI content after 45K miles, and leveling off even lower, consistent with improved particulate efficiency. 

Hybrid cars are a low RPM application.

Power demand, based on throttle position, determines engine speed, unrelated to vehicle speed. Set up MyView with a tachometer, and you can see what your ears are telling you; engine speed doesn't change as you speed up. You can certainly floor it, if you want, but I find no need to. I want to optimize performance below 3000 RPM, because that's where I spend 99% of engine hours. 

The last bit is to understand that the engine's control system is using sensors to match fuel delivery to airflow. As the air filter collects dirt and starts to clog, the control system adjusts fuel delivery to maintain performance. As the filter ages, the air entering the engine is getting cleaner and cleaner without affecting performance. Leaving it in seems like a win-win proposition, absent severe operating conditions.  

HAve fun,

Frank

Well, I guess I'm with Frank too.  In 190k miles I've changed it twice.  First time at maybe 30 or 40k.  The filter was still so clean that a service guy at my dealer suggested I put it back in!  (I didn't.)  I ran the second filter to about 180k miles on the car.  My gas mileage seems to have dropped a bit over the last year or so.  I thought my bad transmission might have been the problem but it wasn't.  I changed the filter since it had about 140k miles on it and that didn't seem to make any difference either (didn't really expect tit to).  That second filter had some dirt at places (more than the first one) but I wouldn't call it "dirty".  I don't plan to ever change it again even if I make it to 300k.  I'm not trying to "recommend" anything - just giving my experience.