2013 CMax Hybrid, 100k miles, entertainment dead

2013 CMax Hybrid, 100k miles. 4th OEM battery installed at 97k, now failing.

Radio/nav has failed several times in our 3 years of ownership, always resetting itself after pulling a fuse, or...after each battery disconnect/replacment (3 replacement batteries!!!!)

Entire entertainment window is now black. Dealer just phoned, says it's the APIM module, $1k+ to replace, WITH NO WARRANTY after replacement.

??????? YES, he says, they fail all the time. YES, he says, Ford hasn't figured it out, and the entertainment module/software is sold to them, "by a vendor that visits" the dealership. He claims the vendor isn't even a Ford employee.

????

I'll bet the APIM is the current drain.  It's been known to be the source of high current drain.

You can replace the APIM yourself with a used one.  There are videos on-line that show how to remove / install and to program with FORScan if the APIM isn't from a C-Max.  You can probably DIY for a few hundred $$ including buying a OBDII Elm327 adapter and the FORScan app that allows programming (IIRC, windows free version with free extended license for a couple months).  You can also buy a used APIM from companies that will program it for your VIN but at about 2X+ the cost of a used one.  Also, perhaps a shop that does car audio can do the install for a lot less than $500.

https://www.flvpmods.com/apim-replacement.html

Dealer phoned later in the day, told me the equipment they used to check for parasitic drain killed the battery overnight.

I asked about the possibility of the failing APIM fully draining the battery, and tech says he's never seen/heard of that before. We're in west Ft. Worth, the dealership sells a zillion trucks, and services very, very few hybrids, so...

I'll be speaking with them again tomorrow. Hope to resolve this. So far, since I'm out of the 5 years extended warranty on the APIM, dealership won't help with replacement cost.

My service adviser, who is totally straight with me, says he and his fellow advisers catch a lot of flack from customers about failed APIM.

Do an internet search “APIM dead battery drain”.  Owners of many Ford products have had the dead battery issue when experiencing problems with Sync 2 APIM.  Coincidence? I highly doubt it. 

This is (among) my main reasoning that it is worth it to consider the sync2 to sync3 mod/upgrade. At this point a Cottage Industry has sprung up to support this upgrade.