Greeting from Central Massachusetts with new-to-me 2016 CMAX Hybrid

bigqueue

Good Day,

I am in the midst of buying a 2016 CMAX Hybrid with 84K miles on it, and I am excited at the idea of having a nice car that gets good MPG. I have read up on the vehicle a lot before buying, and this is why I went for the 2016 over earlier vehicles. (I don't mean to say anything bad about earlier years)

I hope to read through this forum and gather ideas and insights into the many features and functions of the car, and also be active enough to participate with helpful replies to others.

I live in Central Massachusetts and have a home I hope to retire to in northern NH some day, so I am always interested in finding folks and gatherings of folks to get together with and chat up our experiences.

I have some prior experience with a BEV having leased the Honda Fit EV for about a year, and I have to say the range of 84 miles of that vehicle was just not enough in New England winters because that range would  easily go down to 30 miles in the cold....and I wasn't even using the heat!

I have a bit above a 60 mile commute to work, so I like the idea of cars that get great MPG. Also, I like to keep cars a long time.....I think  my last 6 or so cars (not counting the Fit EV) have gone over 210,000 miles with my current Scion xA having 233K (and running great) and my Honda Element just over 211K. So I hope this CMAX can eclipse both of those in the next number of years. (I'd say I drive about 45K a year)

That's my intro....I look forward to the forum!

-Quentin

Welcome!  I have a 2016 (SE) that I bought in June of 2018 with 2,200 miles (yes, 2,200...).  So far so good.  We don't drive it a lot so after a year and a half of ownership we're at 12,000.  Getting about 38 mpg in winter and 48 mpg in spring / fall (no AC and no heat).  Summer on the highway with the AC and 70 mph we get around 44 mpg.  Very nice car - quiet, comfortable.  Wish we had a back up camera as it's hard to see out the back.  Kona blue color. 

Run our Michelins at 50 lbs. (51 is the max and Michelin said 50 is fine 'as long as you like a 'firm' ride'.  It feels totally normal and helps the mpgs a lot. 

14 hours ago, stolenmoment said:

Welcome!  We're neighbors; I live in Concord and work in Westford.  I have a 2013 Energi that's still going string.

Excellent.....I live our near Worcester and work in Andover.....so I right through your stomping grounds on my work commute.

8 hours ago, C-MaxA2 said:

Welcome!  I have a 2016 (SE) that I bought in June of 2018 with 2,200 miles (yes, 2,200...).  So far so good.  We don't drive it a lot so after a year and a half of ownership we're at 12,000.  Getting about 38 mpg in winter and 48 mpg in spring / fall (no AC and no heat).  Summer on the highway with the AC and 70 mph we get around 44 mpg.  Very nice car - quiet, comfortable.  Wish we had a back up camera as it's hard to see out the back.  Kona blue color. 

Run our Michelins at 50 lbs. (51 is the max and Michelin said 50 is fine 'as long as you like a 'firm' ride'.  It feels totally normal and helps the mpgs a lot. 

I definitely have to learn all the "secrets" to high mileage because my commute is a bit longer than yours :-).....and I can't wait to get up there in MPG. I have a history of pretty good mileage cars coming off a Scion xA, a Hyundai and a couple of Honda's......but only with one of my Honda's could I even "touch" 40MPG.....and that took a lot of very careful hypermiling.

My car is a 2016 SE in White with about 84K miles. I hope to drive it well over 200K miles, because that is the history I have with I think my last 7 cars. With the long work commute and a 2nd house in the Mount Washington Valley, I generally get in about 48K miles a year. (the reason I love higher MPG cars)

Anyways, I have a lot to learn.....I do so I al looking forward to playing with the car, watching Youtube videos and reading the posts in this forum to educate myself.

-Quentin

6 hours ago, bigqueue said:

Excellent.....I live our near Worcester and work in Andover.....so I right through your stomping grounds on my work commute.

I'm blessed by having lots of free chargers for my Energi along rte 495!  Littleton MBTA, 99s (Westford and Tewksbury), Chilis (first hour, anyway).  Several of the Chelmsford chargers used to be free.

Edited by stolenmoment
Clarification.

4 hours ago, stolenmoment said:

I'm blessed by having lots of free chargers for my Energi along rte 495!  Littleton MBTA, 99s (Westford and Tewksbury), Chilis (first hour, anyway).  Several of the Chelmsford chargers used to be free.

Yes, I used to work in Burlington, and when I had my Fit EV I would mostly come home on RT62 since the 64 mile run was close to the FITs 82 mile limit, and on cooler nights in the fall, I would have my "emergency" places I could stop for a FREE charge all mapped out. I remember on in particular in Hudson that was quite strategically placed along my route home. (Which was typically at night when it was colder) I stopped there a number of times not knowing if I would make it through Worcester.....and then even in Worcester, there were two more, one at WPI and another on RT9 that were last ditch places as I had quite a large hill to get up to get into my town. (about a 900 foot elevation) I had to have a decent charge left to do that last hill.....so I had it all planned.

Life is so much better with an ICE back-up....having the FIT EV was like having an ICE only car that had a one gallon tank that took at least 4 hours to fill.

-Quentin