Phantom Unlock

2013 Cmax Hybrid SEL.  When walking by the passenger side door (not touching it, just walking by within a couple of feet) the car unlocks.  Walk by the drivers side and it doesn't unlock.  All locks work as expected with touch.  It doesn't matter how the car was locked (touch, door button, key fob).  If a key fob approaches the passenger side door it unlocks the car.  Just started doing this.  Read a lot of threads about locking / unlocking issues, but I didn't find anything like this.  Any ideas?

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion.

So, I went out to clean the touch area on the handle, but it didn't unlock as I approached the passenger side of the car.  Worked just like it should, only when you touch it.  When the problem started it had just been driven for about an hour at highway speeds.  When I just went out now it had been sitting there for a couple hours.  So, I started the engine ( in case it had something to do with a component needing to be recently powered up), turned it off, locked the car (from the driver side), walked over to the passenger side and it did not unlock.  The problem seems to have vanished.  

I had previously checked to make sure all the doors were completely closed.  Temp is about 10 degrees cooler and humidity is lower (cold front coming through).  Maybe the electronics are getting fussy about the weather.  Not sure what to think at the moment.  

I'm going to check my battery tomorrow and make sure it's in good shape.  I've had weird things happen in the past when the battery was on its last leg.  

Could there have been moisture / ice on handle.  Yes, check your battery voltage before you start the car as low module voltages can create issues.

It’s possible there’s a wiring, connection problem with the door module or handle where a circuit is “stuck” open / closed.  As I said prior, the BCM initiates commands over the CAN to the modules to unlock doors for a valid FOB when door handles are touched. So, even if there is a bad circuit, the default is likely to unlock doors in presence of a valid FOB.

There are DTCs for the door handles and door modules.  For curiosity, check the ETM to see if there are any codes. See below.

“To enter the IPC engineering test mode or dealer test mode, begin with the ignition OFF. Press and hold the LH steering wheel switch OK button. Place the ignition ON and continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until the display indicates ET in the upper LH corner of the message center. Press the up or down arrow buttons to navigate through each of the display windows. To exit the IPC dealer test mode, press and hold the OK button for 5-8 seconds or place the ignition in OFF. Each down arrow button press advances the viewing window to the next set of items. ...

• DTC HIST CURR
  • xxxxxx x x
  • xxxxxx x

Displays all of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set (history and current Diagnostic Trouble Codes [DTCs]). An X in the HIST or CURR column means the DTC is active. Three Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) display on each screen. If more Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present, there will be additional screens listing them. If there are no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in history or current, the display will only be the title row.”