Compensation for swollen lug nuts

DaveofDurham

Has anyone had any luck getting compensation for Ford for swollen lug nuts?

I had some very minor service done yesterday at my Ford dealer on my 2013 C-Max (108,000 miles).  The tech noted "swollen lug nuts due to age".  I looked this up.  Read about the unsuccessful lawsuit.  Then I tried my 3/4 lug wrench socket (which is a bit larger than the specified 19mm socket).  I could not get it on any of the 20 lug nuts.  Tomorrow I am replacing all the swollen nuts.

This sure seems like a manufacturing defect (poor material selection) to me.

At least I found out about it before I had a flat.

I had this problem on one wheel right after I bought mine new in Oct 2012. I checked the torque with a socket by hand on all the wheels, and all five on the rear passenger were swollen. I had them replaced under warranty sometime later when I had the dealer rotate at the same time. This is definitely not a problem that is always caused by aging.

Just to throw a (lug nut) wrench into the discussion... I traded my C-Max in with the original lug nuts. They were perfectly fine. I suspect the reason was that they'd never seen an uncalibrated impact wrench. I do my changes by hand, and my mechanic uses torque rods with impact wrenchs. 

The only problem I ever had doing my biannual tire swap was a tight center hole. I'd have to loosen lug nuts, then drive around the cul de sac to get them off. Steel wheels were worse, but they had rust at the center hole where the paint had been scraped off. 

And I'll wager I had far higher corrosion rates than most of you... front rotors dissolved and plenty of surface rust. But lug nuts still fit the wrench. Who changes your tires?

HAve fun,

Frank

On 1/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, fbov said:

Just to throw a (lug nut) wrench into the discussion... I traded my C-Max in with the original lug nuts. They were perfectly fine. I suspect the reason was that they'd never seen an uncalibrated impact wrench. I do my changes by hand, and my mechanic uses torque rods with impact wrenchs. 

The only problem I ever had doing my biannual tire swap was a tight center hole. I'd have to loosen lug nuts, then drive around the cul de sac to get them off. Steel wheels were worse, but they had rust at the center hole where the paint had been scraped off. 

And I'll wager I had far higher corrosion rates than most of you... front rotors dissolved and plenty of surface rust. But lug nuts still fit the wrench. Who changes your tires?

HAve fun,

Frank

I agree with you, I have a feeling the lug nuts get screwed up by using impact wrenches. For sure it's not a problem with water swelling them, I live in CA and the car is always garaged. The only time it gets wet is when it gets washed.?

I understand they are always very busy and don't have time to torque the lug nuts. I had a flat tire and needed to get towed when I found out about it. Can't even change my brake pads now.

I will need new tires soon and might get it from the dealer...let's see if they still can get the wheels off.

• 2 years later...

Just replaced all the swollen lug nuts on our 2018 cmax and need to do the same on our 2017 cmax. Ridiculous.  Standard 19mm/3/4" lug wrenches don't fit anymore, so I purchased a 19.5mm socket to remove the swollen lugs. 

Two piece lug nuts suck !!!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...