It says my mpg is 47, but when i fill the tank, im getting 44mpg?

WannaCMAX

I guess i cant complain too much about 44mpg avg in middle of winter...but is it normal for car to say you are averaging 47, but only get 44?

I notice that in the morning, the first 15 minutes drags the average down.  When motor is cold, it runs constantly, the battery fills up relatively quickly, but until the motor is warm, it doesnt really do much pure ev.  The battery is realatively full, it not until later in the trip that ot goes long stretches of ev.

That said, when i turn off, about half of the miles are ev miles.  If car is already warm and im doing short trip between stores, it might be 75% ev.  Hope everything is ok.

1 hour ago, WannaCMAX said:

is it normal for car to say you are averaging 47, but only get 44?

Yes. The car only measures about 95% of the fuel you pump. 

Odometer vs Pump fuel use.pdf

The only thing that helps in Winter is to cycle the heat, on when the ICE runs, off when it stops, until the ICE is warm enough to maintain cabin temperature. Seat heaters (and now steering wheel heaters) help. I just hate sitting still with the engine running. How things have changed!

Frank

Edited by fbov

23 hours ago, WannaCMAX said:

I guess i cant complain too much about 44mpg avg in middle of winter...but is it normal for car to say you are averaging 47, but only get 44?

I notice that in the morning, the first 15 minutes drags the average down.  When motor is cold, it runs constantly, the battery fills up relatively quickly, but until the motor is warm, it doesnt really do much pure ev.  The battery is realatively full, it not until later in the trip that ot goes long stretches of ev.

That said, when i turn off, about half of the miles are ev miles.  If car is already warm and im doing short trip between stores, it might be 75% ev.  Hope everything is ok.

I have filled up a few times now, and yes indeed, the car is perhaps 10% over optimistic on fuel mileage. I appreciate why they can't measure it perfectly, and why the error will likely go up as the volume decreases.....but it was a slight bummer to see mpg over 40 come out just under 40, even is by only 0.1MPG. But I am still a happy camper.