Another user has already...Can't Connect to MyFordMobile

Hello I just got another 2013 C-Max Energi. I went to the MyFordApp and entered the VIN under add vehicle and it said 

Alert

Another user has already initiated authorization for this vehicle.

I did a Master Reset and connected my phone via Bluetooth and it still have the same message. I buy and sell a few of these and typically I can connect but can't control functions if it doesn't have the modem update which cost around $500 here locally.

Any ideas or suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with a recently purchased used 2015 C max energi. Below is a thread with a similar discussion. for me the ‘master reset’ option does not seem to make any difference (I tried a few times and waited 24 more hours all to no avail)

if anybody out there has other suggestions would love to hear them.

thanks in advance

https://discussions.myfordmobile.com/discussions/MyFord_Mobile_Discussions/PHEV_MyFord_Mobile_Discussion/New_OwnerMFM_issue/mfm010000d1/907.1?redirCnt=1&dbg=6&nav=messages&mobile=y

Edited by TomM
Typo fix

Yes

I tried calling ford mobile tech support. they weren’t sure. eventually they said I needed a ‘firmware update’ that I have to pay the dealer for. but then I read in a few forums you just pay a lot of money and it doesn’t resolve the problem.  it seems like it’s just somebody at Ford clearing some field in a database somewhere - that shouldn’t require an update to the software

I am on a computer now.  I'm wondering if you tried on the website vs mobile app:

https://www.myfordmobile.com/content/mfm/app/site/login.html

If you haven't already created an account create one (on the website) and try adding the vehicle there.  If it is registered under someone else they will receive an email asking them to release the VIN.  I hope they will...

One time our APIM or whatever broke, and took a long time before Ford agreed to repair/replace it while still under warranty.  There was a setting/field in one of the menus that read blank, which indicated failure.  I can't recall which one...

hey Jzchen -

thanks for getting back to me.

Just tried your suggestion (doing it thru the website instead of the mobile app)..
got the same dreaded 'Another user has already initiated authorization for this vehicle.'  
error message ?

re "If it is registered under someone else they will receive an email asking them to release the VIN.  I hope they will..."

- yes, that would be nice/helpful ?.  Unfortunately, I have no way of contacting them (I bought this car thru a used card dealer who acquired it thru an auction)

I tried again calling Ford tech support and they told me that I needed to go to the dealer to pay for/get a 'firmware update'.  I may just not bother depending on the cost.

Do you (or others) find the functionality provided by the MyFord-Mobile app to be worth it?  It would be nice to be able to check charge levels from my phone and control charging times, etc. But I am hoping/thinking the charging station I am planning on getting for our house (JuiceBox 40-amp https://evcharging.enelx.com/store/residential/juicebox-40?gclid=CjwKCAjwoZWHBhBgEiwAiMN66YYt4zmSKvp8iQmVyR2_-JuJunxPiyN6eqLZGx3srpLTFMhgagu6BRoCuMUQAvD_BwE) will have at least some or all of that functionality so I won't be missing much if I don't use the MyFord-mobile app.
What are other 'features' that you find useful in the MyFord-Mobile app?

thanks again

ps. here's a link to another discussion thread that is very much related: 

Regarding the value of My Ford Mobile on the C-MAX Energi, I can tell you I loved it and missed it dearly while it was broken for months.  It was BETTER (note the emphasis) than what our '18 HondaLink does.  '13 Ford C-MAX Energi vs '18 Honda Clarity PHEV (Touring if that matters any).

I would not waste money on any firmware/software update.  I pray the previous owner sees the email and then relinquishes their ownership.  I believe my wife may have received an email even though I had already released it.

If I were in your shoes I would try once a week.  Then the prior owner may realize that they need to release it and do so...

We traded our '13 Energi in back in 2018, so some of the functionality is probably lost in my memory:

1.  You can check the charge level.

2.  Set value charge to your Home Location.  (Not 100% sure this feature worked.  So for example you go on a trip and would like to charge outside of value charge hours.  All you have to do is plug in and it will know to start charging right away vs wait until 10 pm.  I think this feature worked on Level 1 charger but not Level 2).  Value charge can be set each of the 7 days of the week, vaguely remember something about summer vs winter but don't quote me on that.

3.  Remote start and cancel from FAR AWAY.

4.  Remote lock/unlock the doors.

5.  Can remote start and stop charging.

Value charge works between the times you set:. I set from 10 pm to 8 am in the morning.  If my wife comes home at 10:30 pm it automatically starts charging.  On the Clarity I set the same, if she comes home at 10:01 pm it will not.  You have to manually start it.

I did realize yours says something different.  Instead of someone else as owner it says initiated.  Hmmm.  There's a setting although I can't remember it exactly.  CPIM, CPSIM, CPID, or something similar.  If yours is blank it is a sign the APIM or something broke.  Ours broke and Ford eventually fixed it after visiting 4 different dealerships, (even providing a loaner), but it was 6 months.

Edited by jzchen

thanks for all the insights jzchen.

re  "If I were in your shoes I would try once a week.  Then the prior owner may realize that they need to release it and do so..."
- yes, hoping that happens.

Ford's motivation is to get me to spend $ at the dealership so I don't think I'll be able make any progress contacting the prior owner thru Ford.

Do you know if there is any other way to contact the prior owner? Do they receive an email each time I make an attempt to add the VIN to myFord mobile?

thanks again.

In theory the Master Reset option in Sync should take care of all that for you with no need to contact the prior owner. I've had to actually do a few master resets of mine recently when I've played around with Sync 3 and it very simply removes the vehicle from my MFM account and sends me an e-mail, text, and app notification telling me it has been removed. From there it is free to be added again.

I don't see it mentioned above, but first things I would do to make sure the modem is actually communicating with Ford:

1) Check the system info in Sync and see if the TCU ESN is displayed properly. If it just shows blank instead of an alphanumeric string, the TCU/Modem is not functioning correctly.

2) Whether or not (1) is showing, try pulling the 'Cellular Passport' fuse (forget the fuse number, but this is how it's listed in the manual) for 5-10 minutes

2b) Check (1) again after doing the fuse and also try the master reset option again.

3) Verify you are in good AT&T 3G coverage as that is what these modems use.

4) Verify the modem recall has been done. Early models came from the factory with 2G modems (Can't recall what model years this applies to) and AT&T has shut that down. Ford had a free recall for a period to swap these for 3G capable ones.

Basically there is no way for you to contact the prior owner through official Ford channels and the only time they're going to get some clear notification is how I mentioned above if the Master Reset was successful and the vehicle is removed from their account anyways.

If all else fails, relying on the dealer to do any necessary updates and resets and potentially reset the MFM link for you is the only option you have.

Edited by cr08

cr08 -

thanks a ton for your response.

I'll try your steps later today (my wife has the car at work right now).

Re # 1 (verify TCU ESN) and #4 (Verify the modem recall has been done)
- how would I be able to do these steps?

thanks again

tom.

Edited by TomM

It's been a hot minute since I've used MyFord Touch (you mention you have a 2015 which should have come with MyFord Touch/Sync 2 unless a Sync 3 upgrade was done) but you should be able to go into the Settings (gear icon) menu and then System Information and it should be listed in that menu. It'll either be referred to as TCU or 'Modem' ESN or Serial.

EDIT: I had a photo from a while back of that menu. It's actually listed as the 'CPPM ESN'.

great.. thanks guys and sorry for the dumb question (can't believe I forgot to check the help menu path).

The CPPM ESN does show as NE002MTF

is there any way of knowing whether this car got the 3G modem upgrade or not?

I did call ford tech support yesterday.. Based on my VIN, they told me this:

- Sync Version:  V3 Gen 2
- Modem:  2.5G    (not sure what the 0.5 means, but I fear that means it is only a 2G modem)
I'm not positive if this is based on Ford's records of when it was shipped from factory or whether this is information based on service/upgrades done to the car since then.

It seems very likely 2.5g is referencing the old modem as that is often referencing the old 'EDGE' networks that have since been shut down. Have you added the vehicle to the owner.ford.com site and see what it lists for recalls? I'm not sure if that particular recall would still show now if it was never completed, but it's worth checking to confirm. If you see the recall listed, that is an easy sign it hasn't been done.

I'm headed out here momentarily and I'm gonna have a play with ForScan. I think I recall discussions elsewhere of some useful diagnostic info produced from the modem including a signal level PID so will see if I can confirm that exists and report back if I find anything useful in case you have access to ForScan as well.

One thing to note that I came across doing some further research on this is it looks like AT&T's doing a final shutdown of their 3G services Feb 2022. So short of Ford doing another recall or offering a paid 4G/LTE upgrade for our vehicles (both of which I have high doubts of), MyFordMobile for us is going to be dead come that date. So take that as you will especially if this ultimately ends up resulting in the dealer charging you to sort this out. 

thanks cr08.
i just registered my car on owner.ford.com and it lists no recalls.. I believe the 2G--> 3G upgrade was just for 5 years so my guess is my car's window expired for this upgrade sometime in 2020 +/-

good info on 3G being shut down in Feb 2022.. that may make my interest in upgrading 2G to 3G go way down if it is just going to be a 'temporary' fix.   Hopefully ford will do another recall to upgrade to 4G but I agree with you, likelihood of that is very low.

I don't have ForScan (I'm new to the 'Ford World'.. have been a Toyota owner for last 2 cars)

Yeah, kinda hard to say at this point, but leaning towards the modem wasn't ever upgraded so the obvious SOL aspect is there. And unfortunately with these it does require dealer activation shenanigans and isn't a simple DIY module swap.

If you ever do look into ForScan, that should give you a definite idea. I've posted a screenshot I just took here a few minutes ago.

ForScan's free and the adapters are cheap enough if you don't already have a compatible one. OBDLink's are good and the stupid cheap ELM clones are just fine for basic diagnostics. Only catch is you need to make sure they read the MS-CAN bus as this is what the TCU/modem and other 'non-essential' modules sit on.

Screenshot (59).png