2015 with Sync and MyFord APIM Issues

Hi all.  I'm not sure if this forum is still viable, but I'll give it a try.  I have a 2015 SE with Sync and MyFord, no touch, it has the 4.2 inch screen.  Last week the Bluetooth stopped working, and it would not turn on.  It would allow me to get to "Set On?" in the menu, and when I'd press "Okay", it would kick out and go back to the Radio mode.  I couldn't get it to go any further into the menu.  Occasionally the "Phone" button wouldn't even respond.  My local Ford store checked it for me this past Thursday, did a master reset on it, and it allowed me to pair my phone, ONCE, but it's now back to doing the same thing.  The service writer did tell me I'd probably need a new APIM, and it looks like I do.

APIM's are pricey!!

My two part question is this.  I have seen, on eBay of course, used systems (some complete) with the bigger touch screen, all of the required electronics and control panels, as well as the dash panel and upper dash panel with the CD player in it, for reasonable money, about the same as the $600 quote to replace my APIM.  Can I install (or have installed) the "better" system and it expect it to work, or will the VIN key in the car prevent things from working?  Also, do I have to stick with the correct part number APIM, or will any similar function APIM work (mine is GE8Z-14D22- AA)?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sarals

I was in a similar position. To install the "better" system, is possible, but certainly not practical. The two different cars have different wire harnesses, dash skeletons, etc. I spent weeks reading up on how to "convert". Although possible, it's not worth the time and money to do so. You'll read that it's better off to sell your C-Max and buy another that is equipped with the 8" screen. 

What you CAN do is upgrade to an Android head unit or similar. Check out Crutchfield for the dash kits and modules if you want to keep your steering wheel controls. There are plug and play kits available and if I recall correctly, Crutchfield also has a service to make a 100% plug and play radio harness for those who don't want to deal with the troubles. Of course, for a small fee. 

I don't care for SYNC so I opted for a headunit with Apple Car Play, DVD, etc.. Also installed a reverse camera. All that for under $500. Cheaper than buying an APIM. 

18 hours ago, pobodysnerfect said:

I was in a similar position. To install the "better" system, is possible, but certainly not practical. The two different cars have different wire harnesses, dash skeletons, etc. I spent weeks reading up on how to "convert". Although possible, it's not worth the time and money to do so. You'll read that it's better off to sell your C-Max and buy another that is equipped with the 8" screen. 

What you CAN do is upgrade to an Android head unit or similar. Check out Crutchfield for the dash kits and modules if you want to keep your steering wheel controls. There are plug and play kits available and if I recall correctly, Crutchfield also has a service to make a 100% plug and play radio harness for those who don't want to deal with the troubles. Of course, for a small fee. 

I don't care for SYNC so I opted for a headunit with Apple Car Play, DVD, etc.. Also installed a reverse camera. All that for under $500. Cheaper than buying an APIM. 

Thanks for the reply.  I suspected as much.  I've decided to leave the car as is.  Your suggestion of adding an aftermarket head unit was interesting, but after thinking about it, I am not interested in adding an aftermarket stereo.  I just want the OEM unit in the car to work.  I've been exploring APIMs and how to program them.  The information hasn't been easy to find, but I've discovered that it can be done.  Thanks again!

On 2/8/2020 at 10:21 PM, pobodysnerfect said:

The more I dig into this, the more of a hassle replacing the APIM myself is appearing to be.  For instance, I'm not even sure where the APIM is located with a 4.2 inch MyFord display (maybe under the center console?).  My dealership wants a king's ransom to replace the APIM, and I really want to avoid that.

So, I went to Crutchfield's site and started looking.

The dash kit is a Metra part for an Escape, not specifically for a C-max, and I'm not so sure of the quality or the finish.  Scosche has a similar dash kit that looks nicer, but Crutchfield doesn't sell it.

Yes, Crutchfield will "adapt" the radio harness to the makeup harness they sell for the car, and the fee is reasonable.

I looked at a Pioneer AVH-1550-NEX head unit, which has Apple Car Play and other attractive features.

Crutchfield suggests an interface module, iDatalink Maestro, so the steering wheel controls retain functionality.  Apparently some sort of interface module is a necessity.

All this for around $650, just a bit more than the APIM cost by itself, and likely less than having the dealership replace the thing.

I wonder, though, what happens to the 4.2 inch display?  I assume the APIM is still in the car and connected, but is it now disabled?  Do the displays on the speedometer assembly still work?  It would be wonderful if all of the OEM functions are still there.

Thanks!

On 2/12/2020 at 10:13 PM, sarals said:

That's encouraging.  Perhaps the aftermarket route is the way I'll go after all.

The aftermarket route is definitely the more "bang for your buck." Here is my set-up. It's simple and cost effective. I AM, however, looking for another headunit that can do wireless CarPlay. But for now, this will do.

I was having trouble with the speakers as the headunit has a equalizer. It sounded like the speakers were popped/cracking, so I completely bypassed the DACM that is directly behind the glove box. If you choose to do the same, here are the wiring schematics you'll need for the 16 pin connector. NOT the 20 pin (there are 2 connectors on the DACM): 

Left front positive - WHITE

Left front negative - WHITE/BRN

Right front positive - WHT/VIO

Right front negative - WHT/ORG

Left rear positive - BRN/GRN

Left rear negative - BRN/YEL

Right rear positive - BRN/WHT

Right rear negative - BRN/BLU

HU1 HU2 HU3 HU4