2013 transmission issue

Tndfw

Reporting in. 

I'm original owner of my 2013.  Dfw area with about 75%hwy usage.  I was always very conservative in driving so never drove it aggressively.

I think I have the dreaded transmission issue.  I have a early build 2013 cmax hybrid.  Never knew about it until I started hearing a droning noise last week and started researching it. 

I'm hearing a light drony whirling sound when coasting and accelerating etc.  Its subtle but its there....is this the early symptoms of this issue. 

Also I'm at 108k miles...so just outside of the 100 warranty.  What can I do to fight to get ford to provide a goodwill or prorated repair?

I can’t help you with the noise as mine is OK.  I suggested to a recent poster to record the noise and post and perhaps those who have had the issue will chime in.

With respect to goodwill, you might be able to get some help since you are not too far out of warranty.  Try to develop an argument that the noise was progressive as the failure progressed.  You can point out that you heard the noise several thousand miles prior and didn’t think it to be an issue.  But the noise became more noticeable over time.  So, you just  found out about the potential issue with an internet search.  Be cordial, polite, and do not make threatening statements like I’ll never buy another Ford again.

I’d start with a larger dealer that has done Hybrid transmission replacements.  I’d ask if they could test drive it and listen to the noise first and give an opinion. Hopefully, they won’t charge for that.  If they say it’s definitely the transmission, then you can make your case for goodwill.  As you may know, if the transmission case isn’t damaged then there is a transfer shaft kit that can be installed.  But the dealer has to open up the transmission to check.  The TSB show about 13 hours labor for transfer shaft replacement.  Otherwise the transmission has to be replaced.

if dealer refuses to negotiate on parts and labor, you can then open a case with Ford. If you’ve done past business with dealer or bought other Fords in the past might help with goodwill.  

If the above fails, you can go the route of SS and others on transmission replacement.

• 2 weeks later...