Steering wheel vibration when ICE is cold - 2014 C-Max Energi

Arrival

Mine is a 2014, with 55K on the clock and probably on the original spark plugs.  I don't use the ICE very much - maybe twice a week I go farther than 20 miles in a day, at least this time of year.

When the engine is cold - like overnight cold, the ICE starting up causes the steering wheel to vibrate like crazy and the engine noise is noticeably louder. Once the car is warmed up, the ice goes on and off pretty much undetectably.    I think I noticed it somewhat last winter, but it seems  worse this winter

It also seems worse worse with outside temps in the high-30’s all the way to mid-50s’ outside temp.

I'm thinking I'll take it in to the dealer, but I thought I'd ask - anyone have a suggestion or similar experience with their C-Max?  Is it normal?

1 hour ago, Arrival said:

Mine is a 2014, with 55K on the clock and probably on the original spark plugs.  I don't use the ICE very much - maybe twice a week I go farther than 20 miles in a day, at least this time of year.

When the engine is cold - like overnight cold, the ICE starting up causes the steering wheel to vibrate like crazy and the engine noise is noticeably louder. Once the car is warmed up, the ice goes on and off pretty much undetectably.    I think I noticed it somewhat last winter, but it seems  worse this winter

It also seems worse worse with outside temps in the high-30’s all the way to mid-50s’ outside temp.

I'm thinking I'll take it in to the dealer, but I thought I'd ask - anyone have a suggestion or similar experience with their C-Max?  Is it normal?

Generally and based on your description, it sounds like your engine mounts are beginning to give. 

To simplify it, components “stiffer” more under colder conditions. And when it heats up, it softens, hence the vibration traveling through the mounts. 

Of course, this is just my opinion and it could come down to other things. You can have someone give you a hand a do the good ol’ “Power-Brake” it while you visually monitor the movement of the engine. 

6 hours ago, pobodysnerfect said:

Generally and based on your description, it sounds like your engine mounts are beginning to give. 

To simplify it, components “stiffer” more under colder conditions. And when it heats up, it softens, hence the vibration traveling through the mounts. 

Of course, this is just my opinion and it could come down to other things. You can have someone give you a hand a do the good ol’ “Power-Brake” it while you visually monitor the movement of the engine. 

I guess I would be very surprised if he was having engine mount issues at only 55K miles.....I guess it is possible, but I currently have a Honda with 215K miles, and had a Scion with 225K and a Kia with 230K and none of them had engine mount problems. I wonder if his problem might be some sort of misfire since he rarely uses the ICE. I can see how the engine may not get sufficiently warmed up which might cause all sorts of issues with fuel gum-up or oil contamination. (fuel past the rings and the like) I suppose depending on what is going on, the injectors or even plugs could get fouled.....

55K miles on spark plugs is NOT a lot, but 6 years is...not that they "rust", but as I said they might foul. I like the idea of watching the engine when it starts to see how much motion there is and how it settles out. The fact that it settles out alone makes me wonder if it is engine mounts.....I don't imagine there are any Check Engine Lights you could scan?

Good luck at the dealer....tell us what you find out!

16 hours ago, Arrival said:

... the engine noise is noticeably louder. ...

This sounds normal, as long as it goes away. 

When ICE first starts cold, it uses different operating points until it warms up a bit. I see it as instant EV when I start the car, that goes away in 30 sec. The Escape runs the same way when cold. I can EV up the hill from my house, but the ICE takes over by the time I reach the crest, then no EV until it's warm. 

HAve fun,

Frank

My steering wheel has never “vibrated”with ICE in warmup mode. Do you mean the steering wheel moves back and forth?  Does it vibrate with ICE starting up if starting ICE by pushing accelerator to floor in Park? Or do you have to be moving? The steering is electronic (EPAS).  EPAS has self correcting steering usually due to crowns in road to keep the track straight.  I wonder if it’s a failing steering rack / position sensor (electric motor is part of rack) which may be exacerbated by ICE running when cold in warmup mode.

43 minutes ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

My steering wheel has never “vibrated”with ICE in warmup mode. Do you mean the steering wheel moves back and forth?  Does it vibrate with ICE starting up if starting ICE by pushing accelerator to floor in Park? Or do you have to be moving? The steering is electronic (EPAS).  EPAS has self correcting steering usually due to crowns in road to keep the track straight.  I wonder if it’s a failing steering rack / position sensor (electric motor is part of rack) which may be exacerbated by ICE running when cold in warmup mode.

It vibrates with the engine noise, at idle, driving or coasting; It's a little like driving on rumble strips.  The vibration stops when the ICE turns off.   

If it vibrates with ICE and at idle, then transmission / engine mounts are suspect.  How about this SSM. ?

SSM 44253 - 2013 C-MAX / 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi - Powertrain Clunk/Whine - Bonus Bolt In Engine Mount

Some 2013 C-MAX and 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may exhibita tactile vibration or clunking/thumping noise when braking or when tipping in or out of the throttle, or a powertrain/transaxle whine primarily when braking. This may be caused by a foreign object such as a nut or bolt lodged in one of the powertrain mounts causing a ground out condition to the body - either the RH engine mount or the LH transmission mount. To access the LH engine transmission mount, remove the 7B012 Secondary On Board Diagnostic Module (SOBDMC) and the upper half of the mount in order to inspect for this foreign object and possible grounding condition.