Will 40mm Offset wheels be OK on the CMAX?

bigqueue

I see that the CMAX wheel specification is 7Jx17 ET55. The ET55 refers to a 55mm offset. (I forget when the J refers to) 

Anyways, I bought 7x17 ET40 wheels to mount snows on, and I wonder if the 40mm wheels will be OK on the CMAX?

I understand the 15mm difference will mean that stick "out" almost an extra 0.6 inches. Any thoughts on if that will that interfere with the fender metal or some part of the wheel well?

-Quentin 

If you're concerned, you can get undersized snow tires. 

In general, narrow tires have advantages in snow. I put on 215/60-16's, a near-exact size match, and I'd have suggested it for you, too. I could even sell you a set!

In your case, consider a 215/50-17 or 215/55-17, both sizes available in Michelin X-ice 3. They bracket the OEM diameter, about +/- about 1.5%, so I'd go undersize, to get added clearance in two directions. 

Normally, this advice is BAD, because a smaller tire has a lower load rating. However, X-ice3 are "extended load" (XL) rated, so the smaller of the two tires is "95H XL," which exceeds OEM load rating (93V).  I use the Michelins as an example because of long-time familiarity, but the same ideas apply to any snow tire. 

Have fun,

Frank

14 hours ago, bigqueue said:

I see that the CMAX wheel specification is 7Jx17 ET55. The ET55 refers to a 55mm offset. (I forget when the J refers to) 

Anyways, I bought 7x17 ET40 wheels to mount snows on, and I wonder if the 40mm wheels will be OK on the CMAX?

I understand the 15mm difference will mean that stick "out" almost an extra 0.6 inches. Any thoughts on if that will that interfere with the fender metal or some part of the wheel well?

-Quentin 

You'll GAIN 15mm of inner wheel clearance to the strut housing and it''ll extend 15mm outwards. Generally, you'll be okay. 15mm is a noticeable difference but you'll still have good clearance. Not too sure how it would do in a "bottom out" event  but I wouldn't worry about the offset difference too much. Personally, I'd be concerned about the weight difference between the 2 sets in addition to the snow tire you plan on running.