Thinking of buying a 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL ...

I'm looking at a 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL. It has about 74k miles on the clock, and comes with a reversing camera, and convenience kit.

It's $12k including taxes and registration. I live in NJ right near NYC and don't current have a car.

Because of Covid-19, I'm going to buy to buy through Carvana. Normally, I probably wouldn't go down the online route, but I have a newborn and am living with my elderly mother. So I might just eat the extra cost and the inability to haggle.

Given I can't test drive the car beforehand, but have a 7 day return period and 100 day warranty, what should I look out for?

Also, is anyone willing to dissuade me from the purchase...

Some things to consider:

• Its not necessary, but if you really want to check things, get a compatible OBDII adapter and Forscan software ahead of time so you can scan all the modules for codes, check 12v battery age (below), etc.  Search for Forscan on this site (Plus 3 Golfer has lots of informative posts) and check the Forscan site.
  • Listen for any strange transmission sounds - lots of info on this forum.  On the good side, Ford's warranty is for 100k miles (hybrid components) so if you aren't going to drive that much, you'll be covered for quite a while.
  • Check the 12v battery (its in the back under the floor) for age and proper model.  If its not the original type, it likely wasn't replaced by Ford so there's a good chance the 12v battery age parameter wasn't reset (some Ford dealers miss this step as well).  If the age isn't reset, the 12v battery won't get charged properly.  You can check and reset the age parameter with Forscan.
  • If possible, make sure all the updates have been done.
  • Make sure it has a recent inspection and, obviously, check tires, brakes and all the normal used car concerns.

Is it coming from a Ford dealer?

No way I would try to dissuade you.  After 194k miles I still love our 2013 SE.

What SS said.  

I’d try to get $1k off as with lease return, auction values declining 16% (JDPowers mid April), and used car sales way down, used inventory is up.  I doubt we’ve seen the bottom in used car values.  IIRC, in the 2008/09 recession, used car values dropped around 15%.  

The unique hybrid components (including High Voltage battery, the transmission, and certain control modules) are warranted by Ford for 100k miles / 8 years.  So, find out the date when the vehicle was first sold (or at least build date), to see how much warranty is remaining.  

I’ve got 125k miles on my 2013 SEL.  It still drives like new.  Nothing done to the car other than recalls and routine oil, filter, tire rotation, and alignment maintenance.  Look at the rotors for pitting / rust as some have found they had to replace to pass inspection.  Since friction brakes are used very little and I live in AZ, my rotors / pads show virtually no wear and no pitting. 

Yeah, the 2014 75k mile SEL wasn't the best deal, but I was really angling to not go to a dealership and a car would be very convenient at the moment.

I'd love to get Sync 3 with CarPlay and Android Auto, but I'm trying to stay on budget. The car will get a bit of use now, but I'm not sure how many miles we'll add to it (aside from holidays) when coronavirus settles down and we can start using public transport again.

Ideally, I'd like a more modern and up-to-date version of the Mazda 5. Something with more than 5 seats so when things get back to normal we can transport the family and one or two non-car-owning family friends.

Getting a Odyssey/Sienna/Sedona/Pacifica for that use case seems a bit excessive, and I'm dead set against getting an SUV.

Congrats!  Check the version of Sync 2 that you have.  Version 3.10 is the last version we will see.  Both 3.08 and 3.10 are virtually trouble free.  If you don’t see 3.08 or 3.10 listed on the screen as shown in the thread attached, you should update software.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

16 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

Congrats!  Check the version of Sync 2 that you have.  Version 3.10 is the last version we will see.  Both 3.08 and 3.10 are virtually trouble free.  If you don’t see 3.08 or 3.10 listed on the screen as shown in the thread attached, you should update software.

Hmmm ... it says that it's version 4.30 ...

20200501_165652.jpg