clunking noise

grege

2018 titanium hybrid bought new.  Since 10,000 miles (now at 25,000 miles), still having a mysterious clunking noise under the front end.  Dealer kept car for a week chasing different parts and ended up replacing the lower control arm, strut parts, and finally the two stabilizer links (which they thought was the ultimate culprit).  Nope.  Basically, when hitting ruts and smaller speed bumps, get this metallic clunk/thump/metallic slap just below/in front of the cabin area.  Sound reminds me of older muffler hanger movement noise.  

Anyone have something similar?  Frustrating, but don't know if they checked the motor mounts - hmmm...  Will need to follow up with that...  No other cmax I've driven does this and neither does my wife's, so...???  Would like a solution...

Greg

Could be the motor mounts - my Focus (and other people's) had that issue and I'm told it's a common Ford problem (Focus Forum).  When I first heard mine I thought it was a bad shock or something.  If you do the mounts - do both so you don't have to repeat the drill later on the other side.

• 1 month later...

Will have them recheck in July.  Dealer recently adjusted the hood, thinking there was a 50% chance the hood rattle was the culprit.  Nope! 

Also now getting a repeat offender:  the rear wheels are grinding/pulsating as if the brake discs are warped and rusted again.  I can't believe the repeat problems with this car.

Greg

• 3 months later...

Just purchased a used 2017 energi - when driving it makes a rhythmic and mostly consistent humming noise which sounds like its coming from the right rear - dealer said it was tire noise - I put four new tires on - noise is still there - almost like something is rubbing - is this normal - any thoughts - thanks love getting the great mileage - plan to flat tow behind the RV

4 hours ago, JimMoses said:

Just purchased a used 2017 energi - when driving it makes a rhythmic and mostly consistent humming noise which sounds like its coming from the right rear - dealer said it was tire noise - I put four new tires on - noise is still there - almost like something is rubbing - is this normal - any thoughts - thanks love getting the great mileage - plan to flat tow behind the RV

Both our 2017 energi and 2018 hybrid have tire noise.  Both also have rusty grinding/pulsing noise very noticeable at low speeds.  Both cars have had rotors replaced/milled and eventually both began doing it again.  I suspect yours is rotor related.  These cmax rotors rust and "pulse" often, especially after sitting for more than a day.  I figure as long as ours don't get worse with speed (i.e. wheel bearing noise) and MPG stays consistent, I'm starting to ignore the noise.  

Greg

Edited by grege

I know that at 80k miles, my Energi was still in good shape with brakes/rotors - 7mm F and 9mm rear, no issues with rotors.  I rely heavily on 1-pedal driving, though, and am pretty good on brakes but don't drive like a granny either.  I've heard people having issues with rotor surfaces but have had no such issues with mine.

I haven't had to touch the brakes and rotors either, but depending where you are maybe the winters are harsh -- or maybe the things rust up from not being used?  

I notice some initial vibration when starting out which I attribute to the thing sitting around more now than it used to. 

Isn't it great that these cars are so quiet?  Double sided sticky tape is an official "fix" for all the creaks in the plastic and tire noise is something you might not notice on a V8..

I had 1 front and 2 rear brake services in 66K miles. 

- rears only lasted 50K miles before problems in RR caused rotor warp. Ford's repair only lasted 5K miles, so...

- At 55K, rears were fixed by an independent shop, and the fronts replaced due to rotor rust. 

Now, I live in an area that gets 8' of snow each winter, at about 1"/day. We have had years with 90 straight days of snow. They use salt "frequently" and with high regen scores, the brakes never get hot enough to dry off. That explains the fronts. The rear brakes had a problem Ford missed. 

Rear rotor warp is also the root cause of the "failed brakes" sensation when slowing. As the car switches to friction brakes at low speed, the ABS system assumes proper operation, which does not require any pad motion, just pressure. Rotor warping pushes pads back, so brake force is delayed by a short time while the piston moves the pad. There's very little pulsation from the rotor, just some grinding noise. And there's never any concern for actual brake failure!

Frank