Towing Heavy!...

stratosurfer

All, I've been towing right at 1,050 lbs 1,000 miles monthly as I commute from West Texas to my business near Galveston TX and tow a large Waverunner. I normally have about 150 lbs of cargo inside the car and I weigh 170lbs. I am considering stepping up to a larger trailer that will step my towed load up to 1,300 lbs. I have had zero problems towing the 1,050lbs in the Texas summer heat at 75 MPH in the Texas Hill Country (near Kerrville) and monitor all parameters on BlueDriver and all is good.

Anyone towing this much weight on a Cmax Hybrid? I would think I'll be OK with the extra 250 lbs if nothing else but by keeping it under 70 MPH. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

Well, I haven't towed so can't advise you (did buy a hitch off a guy but never installed it yet), but I wonder about trailer brakes.  I wouldn't expect trailers this light to have them but they should be a good safety addition since the total, I believe, will be over the GVWR of the car.  Also curious as to what MPG you get towing?

On 6/23/2020 at 6:14 PM, fbov said:

Given the degree of commonality between HF35 and HF45 drivetrains (same MGs, I believe), I think the new Escape Hybrid's 1500 lb. limit should give you comfort. 

Frank

Yes that does, I -really- don't see any problem and your info has helped me have more 'comfort'.... 

Thanks

Mark

I always wondered whether the towing prohibition was market driven, or there was some concern with the chassis. The first two hybrid transaxel generations (in Escapes) had similar design to the more recent HF35/45, and I can't imagine Ford sold an Escape that couldn't tow. 

Frank