newbe looking to buy maybe? Energi

Towpro

When we picking up my Wife's new Escape titanium Hybrid I saw a 2015 C-max Energi SEL.

36K miles.  Asking $12.5K.

I have been looking to downsize the 2011 Escape (and have been looking at new small Jap. car that runs around $15K)

One side of me is interested in this used car, the other side says RUN.  But where am I going to get what this vehicle offered in interior and accessories for this money (its lost more than 1/2 its value in 5 years).

I know its out of warranty accept that "covers hybrid electrical components" which has 3 more year left on it.

I drive maybe 7000 miles per year.  when I do drive its trips to the airport, 40 miles down a 70mph road  so I am not buying this as an electric vehicle.  I would probably only run it as Hybrid and never charge it (I hear the batteries last longer that way?).

Anyway 

I hear to expect the trans to be good for 100K miles, after that you might run into bearing problems.

I have read complaints about Hybrid battery loosing capacity for those that plug these in.

I have read complaints about 12V batteries going bad.

They also have several not Energi C-max and fusions.

My big concern is am I buying something that I can't get rid of 5 years down the road.

has anybody ever had one HV batteries replaced by Ford under the Hybrid warranty? 

thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge.

Edited by Towpro

8 hours ago, Towpro said:

... Anyway 

I hear to expect the trans to be good for 100K miles, after that you might run into bearing problems.

I have read complaints about Hybrid battery losing capacity for those that plug these in.

I have read complaints about 12V batteries going bad. ...

The Energi tranny was not a problem. It has an electric oil pump to support EV-only operation. 

Energi loses range permanently to the extent its been stored in a hot environment with a full charge. Rarely needs replacement.

Early Hybrid SE had 12v issues; not sure about Energi. I had a 2013 SEL (Titanium equivalent) that I traded in with the original 12v battery. 

C-Max is a great car, but your usage pattern hits its weakness - high-speed driving sucks gas. The $15K Japanese car might have similar highway economy, and no issues with resale of a little-known model. It will not be as fun to drive!

Stay well,

Frank

HVB capacity fade (degradation) and HVB Internal wiring is not covered by Ford under the Unique Hybrid Components 8 yr /100k warranty. I can recall just a few that have had a manufacturing defect with the HVB and have had it covered under warranty.

The capacity fade issue In the Energi is that the usable EV only kWh is around 5.4 kWh, when new, out of the initial 7.6 kWh HVB capacity.  The difference of around 2.2 kWh is for hybrid operation and minimum operating limit (can’t discharge below a certain level).  So, if the HVB capacity fade is 25%, one loses a greater % of usable EV range.  For example, 25% capacity fade is around 1.9 kWh or about 35% of EV only range.  Some have reported a capacity fade of 2.4 kWh or a loss of nearly 45% in EV range. Thus, one would see their new EV only mileage range nearly cut in half.

Once capacity fade reaches a certain level, one is probably better off simply operating the HVB as a hybrid and not plugging in anymore and charging to full capacity.  Thus, the HVB should be good for several 100k miles. So, before buying a used Energi one should know how much capacity the HVB has lost so one is not disappointed as several buyers of used Energis have been.

well the Energi sold before I could get there, as well as several other Hybrids I wanted to look at.  But local dealer had a 2018 One owner with 32K miles.  still has some bumper to bumper warranty left on it.  Priced right so we bought it.

thanks for the help everyone.  I might problem have some more questions in the future :).   Already getting over 2x the MPG of that 2011 escape and it rides a whole lot better, and quieter.