P301 issue - maybe a software thing?

For the last 10 months, I've had a persistent P301 engine code (cylinder 1 Misfire). I've taken my 2013 C-Max SE into the Ford dealership and Firestone. Both service mechanics could not get the fault to repeat as it only happens periodically (?). Since then, I've replaced the spark plugs, the coil packs, had a fuel system cleaning, and had the the fuel pump checked - all seems well.

Could this be a software issue?

Help!

-ACB

Oh wow...This is really helpful! I will check this out. Every mechanic seemed to specifically focus on mechanical items only and they avoided electrical/computer issues. I have to go to a new Ford dealership to get the Door Latches repaired under a safety recall. I will have them check this out. Thank you so very much. This is a great start. 

Two years ago I had a persistent cylinder misfire code that ended up resulting from coolant in one of the cylinders.  A Ford engineer had to come to the dealership to do diagnostics as they couldn't figure out where the coolant was coming from.  Their fix was replacing the engine short block.  Thankfully it was all covered under warranty.