2013 Check engine and rough sound - P0201, P0301, P0302, P0316

tyler

Hi! I just bought a used 2013 C-Max with 117k miles on it and suddenly got a check engine light and new grumbling sound at some accelerations. The OBD is reporting injector circuit malfunction and misfires. It sounds like some other folks have had injector issues too, is injector replacement the straightforward solution? Or could I also have the transmission or other things to worry about that the OBD isn't figuring out? I've avoided driving it since I got this issue two days ago, how worried should I be about driving it until I get it into a shop?

============1==============
P0201
Raw code: 0201
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Injector 1 - circuit malfunction
Ford: Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder #1
============2==============
P0301
Raw code: 0301
OBDII: Cylinder 1 - misfire detected
Ford: Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected
============3==============
P0201(00)
Raw code: 020100
Status: Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle, Warning indicator requested
OBDII: Injector 1 - circuit malfunction
Ford: Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder #1
============4==============
P0301(00)
Raw code: 030100
Status: Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle, Warning indicator requested
OBDII: Cylinder 1 - misfire detected
Ford: Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected
============5==============
P0316(00)
Raw code: 031600
ECU: Engine control unit[Archive (inactive)]
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
OBDII: Misfire detected during start-up - first 1000 revolutions
============6==============

I’ve uploaded a video recording of the symptom:

https://youtu.be/ob8i2P5-U-Q

Towards the end, 1:20->, the whole car is shaking from the front nearly violently, and that’s while regen braking from low speeds (which is what makes me uncertain whether it’s just the injectors and not also transmission).

It is almost certainly a bad injector.  Your transmission likely not the issue.  Injector replacement is straight forward and relatively easy to do.  Any auto shop can do it.  There's likely youtube videos on it if you can DIY.  Figure $50 for part including o-rings. But you probably need to replace all o-rings on other injectors - probably $10 for o-ring kit at Auto store or $20 at dealer.  Labor might be as much as 2 hours charged including diagnosis, replacement, and test drive.  Some shops might try to clean injector - probably not worth it.

It sounds like PCM is not shutting fuel off to the injector yet - grumbling sounds.  You should be able to drive it to shop if it's not very many miles.  Do you get the codes every time you drive it?  If it's a clogged injector, one might be able to add injector cleaner to tank and clear the deposits.

The violent shaking during regen - how fast were you going?  Was CEL on?

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Update on this: 

I bought a set of injectors ($33 total). Took it to a shop asking him to look at it and described what I'd learned on these forums and the YouTube videos, he dismissed what I had to say, said injectors would be a "super expensive part," said it must be the sparkplugs. I mentioned I already had the injectors, he said I'd want to return them, I left them with the car anyway. 

After no communication for two days, he says the spark plugs didn't fix it, admitted he would try the injectors. No communication for two more days, including stopping by once and he shooed me away. Finally get a call today. Says the injectors fixed it. Asks for $630 for labor and the spark plugs. I could've done it myself in an hour or two and not had to deal with this guy. Don't go to a mechanic for this issue if you've got the tools! I can only imagine how much he would've charged for the injector parts had I not brought my own.