Converting Engineering Test Mode DTCs to OBDII DTCs

plus 3 golfer

In 2013, we became familiar with the Engineering Test Mode function in the left hand display.  But until recently we were not quite sure how to convert the ETM DTCs to the standard OBDII codes.   The ETM display shows Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) as stored by the modules in the vehicle in Hexadecimal format in 6 bytes of data.  One can convert the 6 bytes into the OBDII DTC formats.  Below is an example of how to convert.  Assume C46B86 is displayed in the ETM. 

1) "C" hex = 1100 binary,  first two bits 11 = Network Code U, second two bits = 0 in hex.  So, the first two (OBDII) digits are U0. 

2) The next three bytes after the "C" byte are the same in OBDII format. So, the OBDII DTC is U046B.

3) The last two bytes in the ETM code are used to better define the DTC and are attached to the OBDII DTC with a ":".  So, the C46B86 ETM code becomes U046B:86. 

The first two bits of the first Hex digit can be 00, 01, 10, or 11 binary where

00 = P for powertrain codes

01 = C for chassis codes

10 = B for body codes

11 = U for network codes

However, I don't recall ever seeing and Powertrain, Chassis, or Body codes in the ETM from any poster. I have only seen the first Hex digit being a "C" or "F" which are U DTCs.  This leads me to believe the ETM only shows U codes.  But I could be wrong.  If anyone has seen P, C, or B codes in the ETM please post. The first digit of a powertrain ETM code should be either a HEX  0, 1, 2, or 3 digit so  OBDII P0A2D - Drive Motor A Temperature Sensor Circuit High = 0A2D in the ETM and P1289 - Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Circuit High = 1289 in the ETM.   Here's an example of an "F" ETM code.  

F00316 = U3003:16

U3003:16 Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Below Threshold