P0340 error code

gbergus

I have a 2015 CMAX with 46K miles and at least once a year for last 4 years check engine light comes and and dealer finds a P0340 error. Usually happens in late winter.  Sometimes associated with dire  warnings to pull over to the side of the road immediately. Sometimes it is only check the check engine light that comes on.

My Ford dealer has replaced the camshaft position sensor several times but this has not solved the problem. Dealer now saying problem is that I am not driving the car enough and therefore "there is not enough build up of heat".  The result- according to dealer- is condensation gel. We get cold winters here in Iowa but I know other CMax owners who are also short distance CMax commuters and they never have had a P0340 error.

This is frustrating. Love the car but I never know if today is the day that the check engine light comes on.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. 

gbergus

I don't believe dealer.  Ask dealer how this "condensation gel" (water / oil mixture???) affects the magnetic inductive camshaft position sensor from picking up the rotating gear teeth and producing a sinusoidal voltage wave.  Seems to me the "gel" would have to have a significant metal composition and remain between the teeth and the pickup as the engine spins to disrupt the magnetic field such that the PCM can't determine cam position.  Also, magnetic field strength increases with cold.  I don't know what else might disrupt the magnetic field in cold weather that is near by.  It would most likely have to be an electric motor, inverter, or high current flow in nearby cables and then the shielding of the cam sensor wiring would likely have to be damaged.  More likely would be inadequate shielding of the sensor wiring.  If you are still under warranty, have dealer replace wiring harness for the sensor circuit if it continues to happen.  

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 Or Single Sensor)

Description: This DTC sets when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position 11 (CMP11) sensor.
Possible Causes:
  • CMP11 circuit open
  • CMP11 circuit short to ground
  • CMP11 circuit short to voltage
  • SIGRTN circuit open
  • VBPWR circuit open
  • Damaged CMP11 sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP11 sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Harness routing, harness alterations, damaged shielding, or electrical interference from other incorrectly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP11 signal.
Application   Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All   GO to Pinpoint Test DR .

Edited by plus 3 golfer

• 2 months later...

Well here is another owner with the same problem.  Short drives.  Third time just happened.  The last three March/April.  White 'stuff' under fill cap.  p0340 error.  Camshaft sensor replaced 3 times (twice on first visit! - a multi-part visit).  Car is 2016 with 18000 miles.

Seems like some engineering issue here.

• 2 weeks later...

ChuckV

Seems that we are driving the same car!  Interesting that we have the same  problem although different model years. When I ask other CMax owners around town they never have been bothered by a p0340 error. 

Bob, my CMax mechanic, called the Ford repair folks in Dearborn but  they were not much help. He suggested trying more frequent oil change in winter which I did. So far no p0340 error.

Did your mechanic have any suggestions?

BTW what part of the US do you live in?  I'm in upper Midwest. 

Edited by gbergus
spelling