Poor mileage due to new 2.0 lt. engine??

Penquino

I have approx 3000 klms(2000 miles) and have achieved only 6.2 lts/100klm. My driving is very conservative and in primarily level terrain with maximizing mileage as much as possible. This means getting it into EV mode as much as possible. My lifetime summary shows that I have kept it in EV for more than 50% of the total mileage which implies that  in the 1300 klms that the gas is being used, I am probably getting about 12 lts/100klms. The hybrid system is doing what it is supoosed to do but this new engine seems to be VERY INEFFICIENT and that leaves me VERY DISSAPOINTED. I also have a 2008 Escape 4x4 Hybrid with 90,000 klms which is getting about 7.5 lts/100klms(very happy).  

I have approx 3000 klms(2000 miles) and have achieved only 6.2 lts/100klm. My driving is very conservative and in primarily level terrain with maximizing mileage as much as possible. This means getting it into EV mode as much as possible. My lifetime summary shows that I have kept it in EV for more than 50% of the total mileage which implies that  in the 1300 klms that the gas is being used, I am probably getting about 12 lts/100klms. The hybrid system is doing what it is supoosed to do but this new engine seems to be VERY INEFFICIENT and that leaves me VERY DISSAPOINTED. I also have a 2008 Escape 4x4 Hybrid with 90,000 klms which is getting about 7.5 lts/100klms(very happy).  

There is nothing wrong with the engine. Read 3mpg gain with grill covers thead and mileage theads in general. Should answer all your questions.

Paul

I range from 5.4 to 6.2 L per 100 kilometers --very dependent on the weather.  Which Richmond are you in--British Columbia or Ontario?  I am in White Rock, BC.  If you are in Richmond, Ontario your mileage isn't so bad.  If you are in BC, it is mediocre but will improve come Spring.

I appreciate that the vent covers help but that will not make up the needed discrepancy to get even close to the posted mileage numbers. I do think that Ford should take notice of this "invention" and make these part of the design. I do live in BC where the winter temps range from about 0(32) to 10(50) degrees, not the optimum for hybrids I agree but still........12lts/100klms ( that's 19.6 MPG US) on the gas engine..... That sucks no matter where you live. The worst mileage for any 2 liter engine made!

I appreciate that the vent covers help but that will not make up the needed discrepancy to get even close to the posted mileage numbers. I do think that Ford should take notice of this "invention" and make these part of the design. I do live in BC where the winter temps range from about 0(32) to 10(50) degrees, not the optimum for hybrids I agree but still........12lts/100klms ( that's 19.6 MPG US) on the gas engine..... That sucks no matter where you live. The worst mileage for any 2 liter engine made!

Is this the first hybrid you have owned?

As I stated in the original email, I have about 90,000 klms on my 2008 Escape hybrid and I have continually met the posted mileage numbers. I have also done about 10K in a Prius.

So you currently own a 2008 Escape Hybrid and a (?) Prius with no drop in fuel economy noticed during cold weather?

I had a 2008 EH which I traded in on 2010 EH Limited, I was getting over 40mpg City and 31-35mpg Hwy. The mileage when down during the winter so I made a cover for it which helped 2mpg. My dauther's prius has gone down also. I just made 3900mi trip across the country and back. I averaged 40.6mpg with a head wind component most of the way. The average temp was 40deg.F so if you add that back in to 40.6mpg at 2mpg for every 10deg.F drop from 70deg.F you get 6mpg + 40.6mpg =46.6mpg. Short trips 6mi or less drastically reduce MPG's along with rain and snow. Also you need to drive the CMAX differently than EH and Prius it took me awhile to figure that out. You should check your odometer with a GPS mine is off by 1.5% or about .5mpg to the plus side. You might want to convert my 2mpg for every 10deg.F drop from 70deg.F formula to km/lts  and convert F to Cdeg. Good Luck

Paul

I just completed a 43.6mi trip temps from 39-45deg.F,very hilly, 55mph, slight tail wind and 300ft drop in elevation and I got 53.6mpg, 28mi EV (64%) 3.9mi regen, .8gal and brake s. 99%. BTW that was with grill covers on and WT temps 195-205deg.

At 70deg. I should be getting 60mpg. Pretty good don't you think!