Low MPG on a few more reviews

C-MaxJaxon

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1081417_2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-winter-gas-mileage-test-returns-35-mpg (34.5 MPG, watch out for annoying delayed popup on this site)

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2-000-mile-ford-c-max-hybrid-road-204605768.html (33.5 MPG)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/04/ford-makes-a-great-car-and-gets-slammed-anyway/ (35.6 MPG)

I still don't understand how people are getting such low numbers. I averaged 45.5 on a trip last night in 10 degree weather starting with a cold engine. The only times I see mid 30s or less is on short drives starting with the engine cold in cold weather, and driving over 70 on the highway. My overall average for 2.5 months is holding at 43.0 MPG.

Edited by C-MaxJaxon

Interesting articles, but a lot of weak connections/(mis)understandings..........................  the variables of winter & driving habits....................... no ways near conclusive.  At best, somewhat representative numbers 'for some folks' 'some of the time'. 

The one point I always come back to is that the C-Max has enough 'horses in the stable' to allow us to wack the mpg numbers all to heck if we want.

Kudos to Ford for a great hybrid alternative!  Sporty (or Winter) Mode - 32-36mpg;  Frugal (or Summer Breeze) Mode - 40-50 mpg!

Hoping for the best,

Nick

Seattle, WA

C-Max owner wannabe

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

That yahoo article is a hoot. His CMax was fully loaded and juice sucking and expecting a high MPG? I did a full loaded drive 580mile roundtrip (temps snowing 27-37F), see my article here "Let is now, let is now", wind etc and I got 33.6 out of it with mostly uphill. Coming back it was 41, average 36.8MPG and thats at 1600 miles on the odo.  Mind you, Max sucked almost a gallon just climbing an 18 mile stretch up a mountain to about 7000 ft (Bishop to Tom's Place).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That yahoo article is a hoot. His CMax was fully loaded and juice sucking and expecting a high MPG? I did a full loaded drive 580mile roundtrip (temps snowing 27-37F), see my article here "Let is now, let is now", wind etc and I got 33.6 out of it with mostly uphill. Coming back it was 41, average 36.8MPG and thats at 1600 miles on the odo.  Mind you, Max sucked almost a gallon just climbing an 18 mile stretch up a mountain to about 7000 ft (Bishop to Tom's Place).

Your experience in those conditions blows a huge hole in all the other media low mpg reports.

It hasn't been widely reported yet but the sales stats from Toyota and Ford show the C-Max beating Prius V sales again in spite of the bad press.

Edited by darrelld

Got 47.1 MPG on a 20 mile commute to work with heater/radio going this morning.  It was half freeway and half city streets with low 40 degree weather and a very slight downhill most of the way.

Last night I got 67MPG from the houst to the dealership about a 10 mile commute and the car was fully warmed up.

My overall average is 40MPG.  It's those uphills and 65+ speeds that will kill you.

Another reviewer who couldn't average even 40 MPG. His comments about the lack of power, poor steering and body roll are out of line. This guy must be used to driving a sports car and has apparently not driven the competing cars that are much poorer.

http://www.gearinstitute.com/vehicles/item/ford-c-max-hybrid-2013

That guy is on crack. I drove down Box Canyon Rd from the 118 this morning and thats a much, much tighter road than Mt. Baldy. That has some really, really nice inclines and the beauty of that road is that it links the 118 to the 101 and I swear, I barely used any gas, mostly EV, gotta luv the hybrids. I have also driven up to the top of MtBaldy when it was not snowed in so I know both roads. In regards to body roll, theres nothing there. It cornered and braked extremely well, no loss of brake feel at all. Tight and good feel sterring and its the 2nd time I have taken Max down this road and I just luv it, LUV IT!

Now, its not as much FUN as driving Box Canyon in my Jaguar but thats not apples to oranges. I see he quotes a 0-60 figure and provides none of his own assessment, unlike Dan at mpgomatic.com.

Another dumba$$, short and stupid review imo.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I had almost the opposite experience of that "The Street" article...

I found the volt slow, noisy, and rough. The plastics were hard and annoying. The engine was overly buzzy. The car felt very cramped.

That's why I chose the Ford.

I have not experienced what they call the herky jerky low speeds, and I have 900 all electric miles on my Energi.

Also - they spend a couple paragraphs blaming the Energi because they are incapable of using menus.

You set a shortcut to a radio station simply be tuning to the radio station then holding the preset you want to set for about a second. It beeps and the preset is set. Almost every car I have had for a decade has worked similar to this, across several manufacturers. How hard is that?

He chides the leaf&vine display, but never bothered to change it?

I do agree, it is strange Ford won't allow you to see the lifetime values except when you turn off the car.

The menus can be set to display all kinds of information. It seems like they took the default and then complained the whole time.

Also, our fuel economy is much higher than theirs - and it is winter time here, I think it has only been over 50 once since we got the car and it has been below 40 for a few weeks now. This past week 27 to 34. My economy isn't superb but it's better than theirs...

All in all we just didn't like the Volt. To each their own....

Edited by valkraider

Wayne Gerdes from CleanMPG.com did a recent evaluation of the CMAX, Prius v and Prius Liftback (with 17" wheels). Unlike his usual tests which involve wringing every bit of fuel economy they can out of a car, this test was designed to just drive the cars like normal people. He liked the CMAX except for the efficiency.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45723&page=16

Edited by F8l