C-Max: Ford Makes A Great Car -- And Gets Slammed Anyway

darrelld

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/04/ford-makes-a-great-car-and-gets-slammed-anyway/

Ford is not accused of cooking its fuel economy numbers. The company says it followed the Environmental Protection Agency’s testing procedures to the T and the C-Max earned its EPA-certified 47 mpg rating. Ford executives also say, however, that they’re working with the EPA to see if any changes are needed in its certification testing.

As Forbes contributor Jim Gorzelany explained recently, EPA mileage ratings are an elegant fiction. In fact, the EPA doesn’t do the testing at all. Instead, automakers measure a vehicle’s fuel economy under rigidly controlled circumstances in a laboratory using a standardized test that’s mandated by federal law. Then they submit the results to the EPA, which reviews the data and spot-checks about 15 percent of the ratings.

It seems to me the testing procedures, last revised in 2007, are ripe for review again, especially because it’s gotten tougher to predict fuel-economy for so many emerging technologies, like hybrids, electric cars and natural gas vehicles. An EPA spokeswoman could not say whether the fuel economy protocols would be reviewed.

The funny thing is, I really, really like the C-Max and would strongly consider buying one. It’s good-looking, has room for five and flexible cargo space. At a starting price of about $25,000, it’s a great value. Add some nice features like Ford’s unique hands-free liftgate and a premium audio and navigation system, and you’ll probably pay $30,000.

The best thing is, it’s zippy and responsive, and truly a hoot to drive. And at 36 mpg, what’s there to complain about?

Edited by darrelld

The question that perspective buyers will be asking C-MAX owners is "how do you like your C-MAX?"  Word of mouth is critically important when the media isn't trusted any more. :rant2:   Sites like this one is where those looking to purchase a C-Max will be looking for feedback and guidance.

I read this article this morning on another site, infact, that particular poster also posted 2 other negative recent articles, site shall remain nameless.

Now, even if this car only does a mid 30 MPG, I will still buy this car again cause it's FREAKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!! So many positive features, great design and thought - no way in the world would I ever buy the competition especially after personally driving it, I don't care if it does 100MPG. 

Oh...it does 7.5sec 0-60....hmmmh.

C-Max & Fusion share the same system, so what affects one affects the other. There are a few of us who do have problems though, but Ford is not stepping up to find out the problems. There are a lot of variables that affect MPG, but if an owner who has driven Hybrids since 2007 and has alway acheived at minimum top EPA in them, and cant do it in the new Fusion, the response is not to blow off the owner telling them its how they drive it, but to look into the car, especially when it throws misfire codes with fouled plugs after only 4500 miles.

Something like this can impact Ford, so why are they ignoring it?

Why would you think they are ignoring it? They have submitted cars to the EPA for testing and they are looking in to it at Ford labs as well.

They are not going to send someone to each customer's house to play with their cars, nor at they going to even contact customers until they have established a pattern, diagnosed a potential problem, and possibly have a fix in place.

It's not being ignored.

The question is why are people freaking out about Ford when this happens to all hybrids? There is ample evidence that this is a problem with Hybrids and the EPA test procedures... Yet so many people are blaming Ford...

Why would you think they are ignoring it? They have submitted cars to the EPA for testing and they are looking in to it at Ford labs as well.

They are not going to send someone to each customer's house to play with their cars, nor at they going to even contact customers until they have established a pattern, diagnosed a potential problem, and possibly have a fix in place.

It's not being ignored.

The question is why are people freaking out about Ford when this happens to all hybrids? There is ample evidence that this is a problem with Hybrids and the EPA test procedures... Yet so many people are blaming Ford...

Its the American way. I used to work with these Japanese technicians on an integration project for DOD and they marveled at how Americans approach problems. They told me "In America you fix blame, in Japan we fix problems."

Edited by darrelld