Who says it can't be done-Post Highs here-over 25 miles traveled

salprint

I think the true testament to FE is ones overall mpg (Fuelly badges for example).  Getting 50+ mpg on a trip certainly helps ones overall FE.  But if ones overall FE is 40 mpg, there are trips where ones FE was less than 40 mpg.

My wife goes to a fitness center 5 days a week about 21 miles RT with over half the miles at 65+ mph.  Since the fitness center is in a huge shopping complex, we drive there quite often.  I currently get about 42 ish mpg RT if I take the freeway but can get 50+ mpg if I choose to take the parallel roadways (average about 35 mph) instead of the freeway and go about 50 ish instead of 60 ish for 9 miles with 4 traffic lights before hitting the freeway.  At least for now,  we feel that the extra time spent by taking the slowest route isn't worth the fuel cost savings over taking a faster route.   

So, as I've said before a C-Max can certainly get over 50 mpg.  But few have a fuelly badge showing 50+ mpg (see below). Now, that this is saved, we will be able to compare this fuelly data with later data.

And staff please don't ban me:  we are to hit 79, 82, and 86 F today, Sat. and Sun.  :)

gallery_167_32_2907.jpg

Do you think you will be able to see mpg improvement at 86deg.F?

Yup. I live outside the city and take the back country roads to work. Long roads, 45-55 mph, 3 stop signs and 4 red lights. It's about 7 miles one way and takes a few mins. I tried going thru town the other day. Good grief. The traffic was horrible and it took twice as long. So for me, it's not worth it to go a longer route to use more EV.

Paul, the problem for me with seeing a FE increase with higher temps (if you call this a problem) is my wife uses a/c when she's leaving the fitness center since the car has been in the full sun for 3 hours even when the ambient is 70 F.  She won't roll down the windows and leave a/c off.   When I drive (alone), I roll down the windows at 86 F.  Remember it's dry heat in AZ. ;)  Actually, during the Monsoon season, it can get rather humid (30-50%) but the humidity generally keeps the ambient below 110 F.

Sunday afternoon when the temp is above 80 F, I'll make a run at 70 mph without covers just to check FE and compare with my run at 27 F without covers.  Edit: I just remembered I won't be able to run that section of US 60 Sunday as their is a festival going on and cops and traffic are everywhere.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I to live outside of the city and drive 35 miles (one way) to work per week. I take the interstate at 65 mph. 20 miles is outside of the city and 10 city highway mile with slow stop and go traffic. Add 10 more miles outside of the city with construction and orange barrels starting later this month. I might get up to 65 for 10 mins or so on the highway.

Taking an extra 15 mins. and cruse  the back roads home isn't a bad thing after all.(oh yea!!! I will get better mpg to boot) win win Thank You C Max

So, it's a but  demoralizing to see people here bragging. I could get a higher average if I took a longer route to work, but my fuel use would increase.

But if anyone wants to have a competition on using the least number of gallons of gas per month, I might have a chance at winning that. I've been biking back and forth to work for over four years now. I've been slacking for the last few months and driving my nice new vehicle, but will be back on the bike if it ever warms up and stops snowing.

Well, I've posted here 3 times, so the demoralizing comment could very well be aimed at me.  It was never my intent to demoralize anybody, and I sincerely apologize if anyone has been put off by my posts in this thread.

That said, the 3 examples I've posted here were all done on the same route I take home from work every day, I'm not the sort of person that picks routes to maximize EV time.  I pick my routes to minimize travel time.  The only differences were my driving style and the amount of traffic on the road, which varies from day to day, even on the exact same route.

The only competition I engage in is vs myself.   I'm not trying to better the next owner, I just want to do better vs myself.  All of us have vastly different driving requirements and conditions, and almost any comparison would apples to oranges, the only fixed element is that we all have the same vehicle.  Operating temps, driving style, length of drive are all very different.

Agree, it's really about the overall cost of the variable components of operations which fuel is virtually certainly the highest component, not mpg and ones value of time as I indicated above - "we feel that the extra time spent by taking the slowest route isn't worth the fuel cost savings over taking a faster route."   

OK, I'm confused here, because it seems to me that fuel cost is indirectly proportional to MPG, so if my MPG is higher, my fuel costs will be lower.   

I agree with your quote, as I said above, I don't vary routes just to get a higher MPG. I want the fastest route home for my commute, which is 1/2 an hour even if there is no traffic. If I want to save gas, I can take a combination of bike + train, but that's 2 hours door to door (1 way), and not something I am willing to do that often, more like 1-2 times a year, tops.

The point is that if you travel more miles simply to get better fuel economy than traveling less miles to get from point a to b and get poorer FE, FE based on mpg in not the correct measure for comparison of the two trips. The correct measure is the overall cost including fuel, wear and tear, depreciation and so forth.

Ugh. I hate the windows down. No girl wants stray hairs sticking to her lip gloss. I ride with the vent on most of the time. I bought super jumbo shades at Walmart. They work but boy are they big.

Last time I drove with the windows down, my daughters were babies. :wub2: We were on a back country road, and a bee flew in the window and landed in my lap. :sos: (I was mortally terrified of bees.....before this!) It was all I could do to not lose control of the car, drive it safely to the edge of the road, and get out. I'll sacrifice MPG and use the AC, thank you very much    ! :)

Those of us in the great frozen north and/or who have a short drive to work are at a significant disadvantage in the high MPG competition. So, it's a but demoralizing to see people here bragging. I could get a higher average if I took a longer route to work, but my fuel use would increase.

But if anyone wants to have a competition on using the least number of gallons of gas per month, I might have a chance at winning that. I've been biking back and forth to work for over four years now. I've been slacking for the last few months and driving my nice new vehicle, but will be back on the bike if it ever warms up and stops snowing.

That would change if we could charge our battery at home and work with 120vac. Are you using oil pan or block heater? I don't remember whether you were using grill cover of some kind.

That would change if we could charge our battery at home and work with 120vac. Are you using oil pan or block heater? I don't remember whether you were using grill cover of some kind.

Gave up on the block heater idea after the ridiculously high dealer labor quote. I won't use a 3rd party heater. Still have the clear tape on the grill, but I don't think it helps much.

Can't complain about my fuel costs. My credit card bill for last month has one charge for $32.50, so I am more than happy with my monthly fuel expense. Once I start biking to work again, maybe I can go two months without refueling. :)

Gave up on the block heater idea after the ridiculously high dealer labor quote. I won't use a 3rd party heater. Still have the clear tape on the grill, but I don't think it helps much.

Can't complain about my fuel costs. My credit card bill for last month has one charge for $32.50, so I am more than happy with my monthly fuel expense. Once I start biking to work again, maybe I can go two months without refueling. :)

Did you blook off both grills?

Finally did it!  47MPG My previous best was 45MPG (This morning on the same route, temp was mid 30's) This was on a trip from Concord, NC to Conover, NC.  Outside temp was in the mid 40’s. Most of the drive was on rural roads, but it included a 15 mile run on the interstate (65MPH) in the rain.  It CAN be done! THRILLED!

BTW my lifetime MPG is 40.6, so this was a BIG deal for me.

post-355-0-80382200-1362528467_thumb.jpg

Edited by HannahWCU

Finally did it!  47MPG My previous best was 45MPG (This morning on the same route, temp was mid 30's) This was on a trip from Concord, NC to Conover, NC.  Outside temp was in the mid 40’s. Most of the drive was on rural roads, but it included a 15 mile run on the interstate (65MPH) in the rain.  It CAN be done! THRILLED!

BTW my lifetime MPG is 40.6, so this was a BIG deal for me.

attachicon.gifCMAX 47MPGs.jpg

Hannah -  Way to go!  Way to represent the great state of North Carolina!

Hannah -  Way to go!  Way to represent the great state of North Carolina!

THANKS! My last car (a 2004 Dodge Neon) I was averaging 38+MPG on mostly highway. So I have been a little disappointed with my mileage (40.6mpg) so far with the Max, but I am trying to figure out what works best for me.  I might be onto something. ;)

Here is another comparison of my work runs. This is the route (start and destination changed for privacy). San Fernando to Oxnard, typically 51-52 miles. A little over half the route is freeway (210,118) and then highway (Los Angeles) from Moorpark across farmlands (50-55mph):

8532068491_62f37d26f1.jpg

Now, back in 12th December 2012, this same run with my odo at a young 938 miles. Temps, when I look at my property photos, was probably around mid 50s, it was a cloudy day:
8533181416_f4d0097cce.jpg

I did this same run recently, temps was 65F:

8533180970_c71bd11644.jpg

So, the EV is about the same here 30.5 vs 30.3 miles (58% of this trip  :wub2:) on both trips so this indicates I am driving about the same style. 

However, look at the Fuel Use, 0.91 gallon (12/12/12)  vs 0.8 gallon recently, can one infer that Maxine engine is better at 7995 vs 938?

Coming back, for the recent trip, I had 45.1MPG:

8532071449_32321fd53e.jpg

Average for the recent trip is 52.75 MPG  :happy feet: 

No trip data for the 1st trip as I had to deviate to another city on that day.

Food for thought...it will take time for the CMax engines to break in, not the 1000 miles as we all seem to favor as the rule of thumb, but imo, more gradual starting from 3000 on up on the odo. As well, as support for my opinion, in the past - I have posted my 3 trips to Mammoth at various odo that also show improvements in the MPG given the same conditions. Does it peak or shallow out....we're still finding out. I hope those on a higher odo, can add to this. If not, I'll continue to track the data on my Maxine.

Patience young grasshoppers... :) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax