Tesla Model Y Test Drive (w/ Self Driving Beta)

jzchen

Got to test drive a Model Y Wednesday afternoon.  (My wife has a Y order since day one or two, but Tesla refuses to build a 7 seat long range RWD).  They had a 7 seater so we wanted to see how much room we'd have with her sitting in the third row.  Luckily the trunk frame clears her head otherwise there'd be concern in an accident.  I positioned myself in the driver seat, adjusted the seat, then moved to the second row and moved the seat as forward as I could.  Barely had maybe 1-2 inches in front of my knee I'm guessing, but since the bottom cushion is long felt reasonably comfy.  Wife was okay in the back.

This was our third test drive, the first was a nightmare due to regenerative braking.  (That's how they increased the range it doesn't have the option to coast just one foot driving).  2nd test drive I confirmed no more coast option and turned on creep, much better as that's what we're used to at slow speeds.  This last test drive I barely got one sudden deceleration so not bad at all, car was set to creep when we got in.  That's slow speed creep if you aren't getting what I say.  At highway speeds if you let go of the gas the Y will immediately start to slow down as if you're braking.  This time just before we got in I learned how to set the self driving.  My wife was first and she would immediately panic, tug the wheel, and disable it.  On my turn I got it to turn on, it works on city streets some.  It was able to stop at a red light without a vehicle in front of me, which impressed me a lot, twice or three times in busy Old Town Pasadena.  But half way through waiting at the red it would disengage and require driver intervention.  I guess they haven't implemented green light recognition yet or something.  Overall it's starting to come together except I was uncomfortable with the slightly rapid acceleration and strong braking.  I think I was just as stressed having to be a nanny to the system driving as it would for me to be driving...

• 1 year later...