Frustrated and disappointed

Mayday jay

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

I sympathize with those not getting the mileage they expected.  I mean, we buy a car based in part on the advertised mileage.  But, the advertised mileage "is for comparison purposes only. Your mileage may vary."

The blame should not fall on drivers ( except for horrible speeders and lead-foots), but with the EPA tests, especially highway. The MAX speed for the highway test is 60 mph. The average is about 48 mph!  Link above. So, one can only realistically hope to get 47 mpg highway if one drives like that on the highway, which obviously is not a realistic way to drive on a freeway.

So the fact that the Cmax does not get EPA advertised mileage on the highway is not actually surprising. But it is frustrating for the average consumer who thinks the EPA numbers should reflect the way people actually drive on the highway.  Ford doesn't design the test, so it's not really anything they did wrong - just a poor system.

I'm still waiting for my Energi to arrive, and although I would be thrilled to get the EPA numbers, I know that they are obtained under very different conditions than I drive my car, so I don't actually expect them.

I totally agree with those who have made the point that grill covers should not be needed to improve mileage. If they are that useful to mileage, they should have been designed into the car.  I have to wonder just how consistently they do improve mileage, given that such a simple device was not engineered into the car.

I saw this linked in another post - looks like the EPA does not share our concern about their testing protocols.

I also agree with you regarding the grill covers.  I think they could have made the slats more aerodynamic which would have improved fuel economy.  Take a peek inside the grill sometime - it is just a box with no apparent outlet unless the vents are open.  Initially I was pretty excited that there was a way to boost fuel economy by 10% with the covers, but after thinking about it for a while I decided to wait and see.  I do however have a pretty good idea on how to make a stealthy cover for about $25 in parts from Home Depot though, so I may just make one for the hell of it :D

I enjoyed the video, but I hope you don't have to drive 25 MPH to get good mileage. Because that's basically all he did. And at the end of the video it flashed a 35 MPG Avg. i don't have my fusion yet, but looked like that was his tank avg?

FUSION TX I have a solution for you if you want an electric car very fast, but there is a price to pay $ 98,000, its a beauty. look at the video.

http://youtu.be/AOdsTuaJEfc

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

I sympathize with those not getting the mileage they expected.  I mean, we buy a car based in part on the advertised mileage.  But, the advertised mileage "is for comparison purposes only. Your mileage may vary."

The blame should not fall on drivers ( except for horrible speeders and lead-foots), but with the EPA tests, especially highway. The MAX speed for the highway test is 60 mph. The average is about 48 mph!  Link above. So, one can only realistically hope to get 47 mpg highway if one drives like that on the highway, which obviously is not a realistic way to drive on a freeway.

So the fact that the Cmax does not get EPA advertised mileage on the highway is not actually surprising. But it is frustrating for the average consumer who thinks the EPA numbers should reflect the way people actually drive on the highway.  Ford doesn't design the test, so it's not really anything they did wrong - just a poor system.

I'm still waiting for my Energi to arrive, and although I would be thrilled to get the EPA numbers, I know that they are obtained under very different conditions than I drive my car, so I don't actually expect them.

I totally agree with those who have made the point that grill covers should not be needed to improve mileage. If they are that useful to mileage, they should have been designed into the car.  I have to wonder just how consistently they do improve mileage, given that such a simple device was not engineered into the car.

I never expect to get what the EPA rating is, but I do expect to get 85 - 90 percent of it given past experiences, not in the 65 - 70 percent of the rating. 

I saw this linked in another post - looks like the EPA does not share our concern about their testing protocols.

I also agree with you regarding the grill covers.  I think they could have made the slats more aerodynamic which would have improved fuel economy.  Take a peek inside the grill sometime - it is just a box with no apparent outlet unless the vents are open.  Initially I was pretty excited that there was a way to boost fuel economy by 10% with the covers, but after thinking about it for a while I decided to wait and see.  I do however have a pretty good idea on how to make a stealthy cover for about $25 in parts from Home Depot though, so I may just make one for the hell of it :D

Spent about $3 on pipe insulation, another few bucks on velcro ties to semicover the grill, and I noticed the difference - about 5% improvement on mileage.

Biggest surprise this week was shutting down climate control, as some have suggested.  Mileage has shot up about 15-20% on average trips (50/50% expressway/city).

EV kicks in after 2-3 minutes instead of 7-9 minutes. Great savings on short trips - even if ICE is inefficient it is on a fraction of the time. (outside temp 25-35F, -3/+2C) 

It's the same as I used to do with other cars - let engine warm up fully, then heat the car interior.  The hybrid is just so sensitive to temperature extremes (at least cold).

Anyone in warm places running AC a lot?

I drove a 2012 Focus 4 door hatch for a day (rental). There's no comparison the C-Max is hands down a better car. Its roomier, better build quality (in my opinion), quieter and drove better. Even at the same mpg I'd buy the C-Max instead and am pleased that I didn't buy the Focus.

I got a Focus loaner when my C-Max was at the dealers overnight. Agree the C-Max has a much more refined ride.