Yes, the outside temp makes a HUGE difference!!!

Adair

I haven't been able to get over 38mpg average on a tank of gas yet until today. Our temperatures have been in the 20s and lower until this week, with a steady rise to 55 today.  I filled up on Friday and cleared all the settings and my agerage on this tank is 44.7!!! And that was with about 50% highway driving!

Completely agree.  We had temps in the low 70s this weekend.  I was quite amazed at the difference.  I took a trip this weekend where it was rainy (wipers and A/C for humidity), foggy (fog lights), and in the mountains and I still came out with over 40MPG for the tank.  This also included extended periods of 75+ MPH driving to stay with the nutty traffic pattern in those conditions.

You can see the difference on my Fuelly page, even with those conditions.  Short trips and cold weather are what kills the MPG on this car, as well as other hybrids.  I am looking forward to Spring now :)