2013 CMAX Hybrid power drain, dead battery

One morning car was dead. Replaced battery. About a week later again all power drained, as if battery was dead. Jumped car, charged everything looks good. About a week later same issue. This has continued for about a month. I just did my 4th jump yesterday. So I'm concerned. I've read this has been a issue but I haven't heard of a exact fix. Any good recommendations would be appreciated?  Trying to save money and avoid dealer. Let me know. Thank you

It's possible that your car never received software updates and other corrective actions that were provided free by Ford to original owners to address the issue.

If that's the case, and there are no other issues, the least-expensive work-around that does not involve a Ford dealership is to purchase a battery jump-starter, like this Stanley for under $75: https://www.zoro.com/stanley-jump-starter-300a-j309/i/G0431287/  (I purchased mine locally, so I'm not vouching for this seller.) The battery jump-starter doesn't need a huge CCA rating, because the 12-volt battery does not actually crank the engine. All the 12-v does is power the electronics. Once the electronics are powered up, the hybrid battery (~400v) actually cranks the engine and starts the car. This forum contains several lengthy 'dead battery' threads from 2013-2016. 

A Ford dealership can likely check the VIN service history of your car and provide that information, as well provide updates.

CarFax might display a notice if your car was ever included in a Lemon Law action.

We still own our 'early production' 2013 C-MAX SE, built in April 2013. We purchased it new in March 2014. We experienced the 'dead car' issue several times in the first year or so of ownership. First time, after driving through a heavy rain, and again after an automatic car wash.

The problem went away permanently after my Ford dealer applied software updates during two or three recalls and service visits from C-MAX Service Bulletins and Technical Service Bulletins from 2013 through 2016. These included corrective software updates and minor fixes from Ford, including putting dielectric grease on several electrical connectors in the front of the car and the engine compartment that were subject to water intrusion. 

Edited by kostby

• 1 month later...

I am having the same, or a similar issue. Over night the battery is going dead, did it the last two nights in a row. As soon as I hook it up to my trickle charger the car will start and runs okay. The 12 volt battery was last replaced in Dec of 19 so I doubt that it is bad already. I bought the car used in March of '17 (it's a 2013 hybrid) from a dealer so I would think (or hope) that the software upgrades were completed before I bought it. Any suggestions as to how the 12 volt battery is being drained?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by petemx5

Simply put there's a parasitic drain somewhere. Common ones are the ACM/APIM (the modules involving the radio/infotainment/Sync), potentially the rear hatch needing adjusted as there were known issues with the latch/ajar sensor not being triggered properly when closed, etc.. And of course the obvious: Make sure you don't leave anything plugged in when the car's off that may drain the battery.

There's no guarantee that a dealer is going to be on top of software updates unless the previous owner experienced these issues and actually bothered to get the source of the issue fixed vs throwing bandaids like just jump starting/replacing the battery. So may be worth checking in to see if any of that was actually done previously.