One beautiful 69* day

Fits2at

I have been away from the forum for a couple of weeks.  The week of New Year's I was sick with bronchitis.  The week after that, I had to go to Florida to help move my parents who had sold their house.  I got back on Friday the 11th.  Well, Saturday the 12th proved to be a beautiful and VERY warm day for January.

It got to 69* here in the middle of Indiana in the middle of January.  Those days don't go un-appreciated. 

So in my travels during that day, the WORST I averaged in mpg was 56!!!!  I had no HVAC on and I had my window down. I had 1400 miles on the car and initially I was thinking that the break in period made a huge difference.  No, it was the weather because the next day we were back in the 30's and have been in the 20-30* range all week and my mileage has gone back down. It's still not terrible but this week there are a couple of days that they are predicting below zero temps over night and highs in the teens during the day. 

I will be looking forward to spring even more now!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is frustrating to have purchased my new, expensive hybrid in January in Vermont. I'm getting about 32 mpg and disappointed. But, I will try to be patient and wait for Spring and more miles. I've only got about 700 on it now.

I'm also in Vermont. Purchased at the end of December, been cold, snowing or both for all 1700 miles, lifetime average is 31.5. Can't get it out of the high 20's during the past two weeks and I rarely use the heat. It does push the high 40's on those unseasonably warm days we have had, but below zero puts this car in the mid to low 20's. There are times I wished I purchased a Focus ST, that will probably change this spring.

Yes, when it got to 40 degrees I could make the car get 40 mpg+. I suppose the same thing happens with regular cars, it's just that all these gauges make it so obvious that the milage is crappy when it's cold.  I try not to put the heat on also. The heated seats help with that.  Here is what I don't understand. I live on a hill and can practically coast the 1/2 mile down into town. Why can't the car do that in EV mode when the engine is cold?  Why does the battery need the engine to be warm?  On the 45 degree day, it went into EV mode on the coast down.

I've observed that the engine will start on startup if the temperature is below about 32F, even if the battery has a lot of charge. If it's above freezing on the dash display, it usually goes to EV mode right away and won't start the engine until the battery is low or I press the accelerator too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Black Cmax with over 4500 miles on it and it is well broken in. I have never gotten over 30 mpg since it was new. I have driven every way including a round trip of 240 miles never over 55 mph. Only got 32 mpg. These cars suck!! False advertising. I think someone should make Ford reimburse us for the difference.

I'm in Florida - warm temps.  I've run the air conditioning on the car in the afternoon.  Per trip, I'm getting 42 - 46 mpg.  Mostly highway driving.  I will do 65 mph on the short stretch of highway where that is the actual speed limit.  When the speed limit drops to 60, so do I.  

I'm extremely happy with the car.  Pulling out into speeding traffic on the highway is also easy.  Love it!

I have to think there is something wrong with some of the cars getting very low mileage. I don't even have to try to get averages in the high 30 range in temps below freezine. And 40-50+ should be routine on trips with the engine already warmed up.

Could be. If we are to believe the location, rmalzo is at my neck of the woods and if we are to take this poster for the word, I would find it not credible given the temperatures we have had and the described driving conditions and the supposed mileage. I dunno, sounds suss imo. I am surprise that poster never took it to the dealer to have the car checked out, hell, if its that low and its warm, I'll be all over the Ford service dept.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I have been getting better average MPG the longer I have the car. Temps were in the 40's last week and I did a 24 mi trip and got 49mpg. Can't wait for the warmer weather to see even better mpg's.

You will...I have documented this many times with my long trips to Mammoth at various stages of my engine life. You will improve but don't lose heart if you're in the high 30s with lots of gradient/hills/mountains.... "hard to fight physics" as my wife says.

Temperature and road conditions can absolutely make a difference.

The temperature dropped down to 22 early this week and mine worked overtime on the heat on the morning drive into work and reported a disappointing 27 MPG. Drive home the temp had warmed up to the 50's and it was right back to 40 MPG! Yesterday it reported 45 MPG, so temperature matters.

Have a Black Cmax with over 4500 miles on it and it is well broken in. I have never gotten over 30 mpg since it was new. I have driven every way including a round trip of 240 miles never over 55 mph. Only got 32 mpg. These cars suck!! False advertising. I think someone should make Ford reimburse us for the difference.

I have to agree with others that it seems something isn't quite right with yours. Pretty quickly my average MPG rose to report 38, and now it slowly ticks up a notch or two every 3 to 4 days.  As it breaks in I expect it will do better and settle out somewhere in the low to mid 40's.

• 4 weeks later...

I have almost 4,000 miles on my C-Max, and am averaging a bit over 39 mpg indicated.  The mileage is dependent on the temperature.  Also, I read somewhere the EV stuff will not come on until it has been warmed up to some minimum temperature.  That has been my experience.  When the outside temp is in the 40's, it comes right up in EV mode in the driveway, but when the outside temp is in in the 20's to 30's it takes several miles.  My driving is mostly fairly steep mountain roads, 35 miles one way.  In the city I can get up to the low 50's.