Size of factory wheel

mtb9153

The marking on the inside of my OEM wheel says 17" X 7" and +55mm, which I assume is the offset. I believe the bolt pattern is 5 X 108mm.

The wheel also says "Made in China", which is a little unsettling to me. I've had too many bad experiences with defective aluminum die castings that our penny-pinching purchasing department tried to save a few bucks on by sourcing them from China. I don't work for Ford or any automotive company, but I do work for an American manufacturer and I hate to see my product designs compromised by the whims of these fly-by-night suppliers thousands of miles away.

Chinese manufacturing is an interesting problem. Yea, they make lots of junk, but they also are capable of making things well. It all depends on the specific factory, and the level of quality control imposed by management. A big company like Ford can't afford to have wheels failing all the time, so they are going to impose strict quality control guidelines, and will probably only buy from good suppliers. But if you walk into Wallmart, you're probably seeing stuff produced by lesser quality manufacturers (or even stuff produced by the good ones that failed to meet quality checks).

I'm curious what the size of the factory wheel is?  I'm considering replacing them with aftermarket wheels, possible bigger diameter.

You need to take some careful measurements.

The wheel well is VERY full, a friend with a civic tried but couldn't do it, tire would rub the strut.

wab

Several of us have found that rims designated for the Ford Focus work quite well.  For winter tires I am using 16x7's with a 40mm offset.  I am using 215-60-16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70's which are within 1% of the factory 225/50/17's.  TireRack.com is now offering options of wheels up to 20" for the C-Max, although I have not heard of anybody trying a larger rim size yet.

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks, Question. I want to replace my factory rims, with rims that measure either:

17 x 7.5, +40mm, 5 x 108, center bore 65.1mm

17 x 7.5, +45mm, 5 x 108, center bore 72.6mm

Will either or both of these work? Does anyone know?

I plugged it in and it looks like your good. 

First one will stick out about .6" more and second about .4" due to the offset.

What rims are you looking at?

Thanx for your reply Edsel. I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-5x108-Black-Rims-XKR-Mercury-Volvo-C70-S80-V50-Thunderbird-Ford-Focus-Wheels-/321220485017

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-5-Black-Niche-NR6-Rim-5x108-5x114-3-45-Offset-M106177502-45-/300977497399?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

What do you think?  My C-MAX is Tuxedo Black. I'm tinting the windows as well and already have the mud flaps and window guards on it.

Other interest is fog lights but I read the thread and it seems this is not available as an add on.

Regardless the external dimensions, I'd be concerned about the centerbore. If too small, they won't fit. If too large, they won't center without the correct spacers. You cannot rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel (personal experience). Lose one spacer and you're SOL for the set; I avoid wheels with spacers like The Plague.

That said, until I get home, I can't say what centerbore you need... 4 snows on Ford steel wheels sitting in the garage.

Have fun,

Frank, the slowest fo these 3 great minds

Edited by fbov

Ok Thanx Ed, I did some digging and think the stock center bore is 63.4. The 1st choice (the ones you and I both like better) are 65.1. That's only .07"  or 1.7mm larger, I should think the lugs would tighten enough. But I will wait to see what Frank has to say. Anyway thanx again guys.

All good Frank. So an update. I'm sticking with the stock Rims, but having them powder coated, Harley Black 90% gloss. The shop will sand blast off the existing powder coat, prime and powder coat them in the Harley Black, I'm leaving the lugs Chrome. Painting the calipers red with caliper paint. I'm also talking to a machine shop about custom 10mm spacers to bump out the wheels. After an exhaustive search I found no one who makes 5-108 w/63.4 center bore. What do you think? Oh if you can measure what you have just to make sure I'm right about the 63.4 center bore I'd appreciate it.

hat said, until I get home, I can't say what centerbore you need...

Ok Thanx Ed, I did some digging and think the stock center bore is 63.4. The 1st choice (the ones you and I both like better) are 65.1. That's only .07"  or 1.7mm larger, I should think the lugs would tighten enough. But I will wait to see what Frank has to say. Anyway thanx again guys.

Measured last night and got 2.50" which is 63.5mm. Tim, I agree with you.

16x6.5-50 is stamped in the metal; 16" wheel, 6.5" wide with a 50mm offset (love the mixed units, don't you?)

Frank

Edited by fbov

All good Frank. So an update. I'm sticking with the stock Rims, but having them powder coated, Harley Black 90% gloss. The shop will sand blast off the existing powder coat, prime and powder coat them in the Harley Black, I'm leaving the lugs Chrome. Painting the calipers red with caliper paint. I'm also talking to a machine shop about custom 10mm spacers to bump out the wheels. After an exhaustive search I found no one who makes 5-108 w/63.4 center bore. What do you think? Oh if you can measure what you have just to make sure I'm right about the 63.4 center bore I'd appreciate it.

That sounds like it will look awesome! Please post pics when you're done. And if you don't mind telling us how much it cost, I'd be curious to know. Thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got some new wheels from tire rack for my winter tires:  17x7.5  et +42  hub 72.2  5/108  this would make the hub diff 8.8 mm or .346457 ".  Is that too much cause they say it will work.  Went with the Hankook  i*cept evo as they seem more suited to the winters here in the Hudson Valley.  

Edited by ChrisMax