Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

Ok, so I think, I am the first to get the update.  So this thread will be my log of how things are different/ same.

First Impression: Car drives like it normally does (not a "new beast").  Perhaps not so oddly, my MTE went up after the update, without driving at all.  Everything seems to run smoother as power from either motor makes it to the wheels.  So here is what the new EV limit means to us, so far.  Nothing changed when accelerating, or passing vehicles.  When you need power above 50 mph, you are still going to use the ICE.  It was VERY refreshing to see the car immediately drop to EV mode, while coasting at 75 mph.  No more idle speed use of ICE when off the gas pedal.  This must account for the improved FE at highway speeds. I also noticed the shorter warm up time from the cold start.  I never timed it before, but it certainly felt shorter after the update.

I topped off my tank and rest Trip 1.  I will continue to update how this tank goes, but I have high hopes, at the moment.

Here are my starter pics.  I am going to post up as many trips as I can remember to do, for the entire first tank.  Due to forum limits, not all pics will appear in this first post, however, I will be posting them.

I forgot to snap a pic at the gas station, but here it is anyway:

fiin.jpg
3vo6.jpg
yet7.jpg
Edited by 11StiLimited

.  I will be taking a lunch time run shortly, and will be posting my trip data and any other feedback I notice along the way ;)

Pick me up a club sammich, add avocado slices, chips and ice tea.  thx.   :victory:

This is great to hear.  Hopefully I can get mine installed sometime next week.  I honestly thought it would only become available towards the end of the month.

Pick me up a club sammich, add avocado slices, chips and ice tea.  thx.   :victory:

This is great to hear.  Hopefully I can get mine installed sometime next week.  I honestly thought it would only become available towards the end of the month.

I don't think the sammich will be any good after shipping :p

I thought so too.  I just called my dealer and told them there was an update.  They checked their system and found it right away, so I made today's appointment last Friday.

Edited by 11StiLimited

One thing I'm really curious about, is if the car uses more blended power (ICE + battery) at highway speeds.  Have you noticed that yet?

I was driving on a 55 mph road, not a highway, and ran the car up and down through the 55-75 range to see how it behaved.  It does not seem to do that. Whenever I hit the gas, no matter how gentle or for how long, I think I was in ICE only.  However, as soon as I let off the gas, EV kicked in instantly.  I can't say it wouldn't use the combo, if the battery was charged enough, but my battery never went higher than about 60%, so I am not sure.  It seems to me that they simply raised the EV limit so that we could coast with ICE off at highway speeds.  I don't drive a lot of highway miles as part of my usual commute, but I think I may try this, just once, to try to answer that question for you.

One thing I'm really curious about, is if the car uses more blended power (ICE + battery) at highway speeds.  Have you noticed that yet?

My C-Max is getting the headliner and PCM update as I type this.  I will use my laptop and record various data and compare such with previous recordings I have made at 70 mph when time permits.  There will be "no guessing" as to what is going on under various scenarios.

My C-Max is getting the headliner and PCM update as I type this.  I will use my laptop and record various data and compare such with previous recordings I have made at 70 mph when time permits.  There will be "no guessing" as to what is going on under various scenarios.

I am glad someone can take the guessing out of this, I know I can't do what you can via OBDII.

I can't confirm that, as I have no monitoring software.  Based on what I have seen so far, my guess is that all ICE usage mpg will drop to some extent, due to the increased use of EV. If we are spending more time in EV while coasting, then most of the ICE miles are going to be pure acceleration miles, speed pending.  All those glide phases that were under ICE, should now be EV miles.

Does that make sense?

Had my update this morning...made no difference on my vehicle when coasting down from 70-75...no EV, until I hit around 62-63. Did have about 80% battery. In the new (with the SYNC update) Status display, I now see a new reason for ICE operating..."High Speed"...not just "Acceleration." Do you 11Sti have that on your Status display when above 62mph?

I am glad someone can take the guessing out of this, I know I can't do what you can via OBDII.

Observations are fine but I've seen too many posts here and other sites where anecdotal evidences is suspect like I get mid 43-44 mpg at 70 mph cruising or my average speed is XX mph and I get YY mpg.   For example, what really does 60 mpg for 11.5 miles relate to in a time of 41:24.  Time will tell whether one's overall FE has taken a jump after the update. If it's a significant change, the change should be readily apparent and FE should continue at a new level.

What I can't do is determine what someone else's FE will be.  What I can do is compare various similar data from before and after the update and estimate what the effect of the update might be on my FE at a constant cruising speed.  Problem is I haven't recorded any recent data.   But it should give me a good idea of the magnitude, if any, of FE changes at higher speeds as I can adjust for a number of conditions.

Like I said in another thread, from what I understand to be the operation of the Hybrid Powertrain system, "freeing up" the control algorithm to run up to 85 mph on EV should provide more opportunity to improve high speed overall efficiency.  It also appears that the grille shutter operation will now likely reduce aerodynamic drag at higher speeds. The only way I can test grille shutter operation is to put my camera back on the grille shutters and observe its operation for changes in speed and coolant temperature like I had previously done. However, since my laptop is older, it won't support recording of the video.  

Had my update this morning...made no difference on my vehicle when coasting down from 70-75...no EV, until I hit around 62-63. Did have about 80% battery. In the new (with the SYNC update) Status display, I now see a new reason for ICE operating..."High Speed"...not just "Acceleration." Do you 11Sti have that on your Status display when above 62mph?

Mine does not show that on the status and I absolutely was in EV mode coasting at 70+ mph.  Does your service ticket indicate the service was for "RECALL 13B07"?

vuco.jpg

Observations are fine but I've seen too many posts here and other sites where anecdotal evidences is suspect like I get mid 43-44 mpg at 70 mph cruising or my average speed is XX mph and I get YY mpg.   For example, what really does 60 mpg for 11.5 miles relate to in a time of 41:24.  Time will tell whether one's overall FE has taken a jump after the update. If it's a significant change, the change should be readily apparent and FE should continue at a new level.

What I can't do is determine what someone else's FE will be.  What I can do is compare various similar data from before and after the update and estimate what the effect of the update might be on my FE at a constant cruising speed.  Problem is I haven't recorded any recent data.   But it should give me a good idea of the magnitude, if any, of FE changes at higher speeds as I can adjust for a number of conditions.

Like I said in another thread, from what I understand to be the operation of the Hybrid Powertrain system, "freeing up" the control algorithm to run up to 85 mph on EV should provide more opportunity to improve high speed overall efficiency.  It also appears that the grille shutter operation will now likely reduce aerodynamic drag at higher speeds. The only way I can test grille shutter operation is to put my camera back on the grille shutters and observe its operation for changes in speed and coolant temperature like I had previously done. However, since my laptop is older, it won't support recording of the video.  

I agree completely, which is why I am not trying to speculate as to what the end results will be.  I am hopefully, providing user feedback, at best.  Every car is different, like anything else that is mass produced.  Your data will certainly help back up, or refute Ford's claims about the update.  I am just spit-balling what I have experienced so far.

I think after several tanks you should know (assuming your trips are similar) whether you see a difference in FE.  Have you looked at the climate control usage screen to see if usage appears different when using the AC?  Since we have a rather crude analog display of usage, it might be difficult to tell whether the update lowered usage by observing the screen.

Also, on my way home from the dealer, I should be able to see if / maybe how the update affects the previous "high" ICE threshold.  But, I don't have anywhere I can test it much above 70 mph until I have a trip on the 75 mph interstate. 

think after several tanks you should know (assuming your trips are similar) whether you see a difference in FE.  Have you looked at the climate control usage screen to see if usage appears different when using the AC?  Since we have a rather crude analog display of usage, it might be difficult to tell whether the update lowered usage by observing the screen.

Also, on my way home from the dealer, I should be able to see if / maybe how the update affects the previous "high" ICE threshold.  But, I don't have anywhere I can test it much above 70 mph until I have a trip on the 75 mph interstate. 

I have almost never used my climate control system and don't plan to unless absolutely necessary, lol.  Used the defroster for a few seconds at a time during rain, but that is about it.

I didn't have the speed limit to test it either, I just did whatever speed I felt like to test it out.  It was very easy to see the difference when I was doing 70 on eco-cruise, then cancelled CC.  Before, it would flat-line the Kw on ICE on anything over 62-63.  I saw it go to EV while still at 66 going on a mild uphill with no acceleration.

Having the update done tomorrow morning before work.  My drive from the dealer to work is about 22 miles - 20 of it at freeway speeds.  Will be interesting to see if there is a big difference.  I'll keep you posted.

I look forward to your feedback.  Seems like your trip will be a much better example of the difference on the highway.

All you beta testers keep the updates coming, I am scheduled to do this tomorrow morning. I have no baseline data other than what we have entered in fuelly and will add a note to the log entry marking the update point. From there I can calculate how much on average FE improves given the fairly consistent work path. The biggest change I am after is AC efficiency improvement since we do little highway driving in our C-Max.