Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

I had the update today and here's the results.  I made notes under the pictures.

null_zps8eeaf5b1.jpg?t=1375136544373a9a76-074a-40ad-918f-e8e0e4315edc_zps

This picture is the end of the trip with pre update.                                                                         This picture is the end of the trip post update.

I used cruise control because there was heavy traffic and lots of hills.  It seemed like the most efficient way to track the mpg.  Half of the trip was at 65 and the other half 70.  I also had a few times that I had to deal with traffic and slow down etc.  

null_zps06e90004.jpg?t=1375222396

Look Mom no hands  :skateboard: Don't try this at home.  There was no traffic around me and I was very careful taking this picture.   :camera: This of course is 70 mph on EV.  

C-Maxgo, a couple of questions, do you know the elevation change from the dealer to your home?  Did you use the AC? What was the approximate outside temperature when you left home and when you left the dealer?  Do you know what the approximate state of charge (battery level) was when you left home and when you left the dealer?

The return FE number is impressive but I have a feeling that we may need to make a few adjustments.  For example, the battery levels are not the same at the end of each trip and we don't know the beginning battery levels.  For example, on the trip to the dealer some of the fuel (0.29 gallons) could have been used to charge the battery to.virtually 100% and should be removed from the FE calculation and on the trip home from the dealer, the battery level could have increased or dropped from the start of the trip and needs to be accounted for in the calculations. Similarly, one would want to make temperature adjustment and potential energy adjustments due to difference in elevation in the trips.  That's why whenever testing one wants to test round trips at about the same ambient temperature with the car warmed up to negate elevation and temperature differences.. 

LOL you can see traffic in your picture.

Thanks for sharing.  In the first picture was it with a cold start-up and in the 2nd was the engine still warm?

Look Mom no hands  :skateboard: Don't try this at home.  There was no traffic around me and I was very careful taking this picture.   :camera: This of course is 70 mph on EV.  

C-Maxgo, a couple of questions, do you know the elevation change from the dealer to your home?  Did you use the AC? What was the approximate outside temperature when you left home and when you left the dealer?  Do you know what the approximate state of charge (battery level) was when you left home and when you left the dealer?

The return FE number is impressive but I have a feeling that we may need to make a few adjustments.  For example, the battery levels are not the same at the end of each trip and we don't know the beginning battery levels.  For example, on the trip to the dealer some of the fuel (0.29 gallons) could have been used to charge the battery to.virtually 100% and should be removed from the FE calculation and on the trip home from the dealer, the battery level could have increased or dropped from the start of the trip and needs to be accounted for in the calculations. Similarly, one would want to make temperature adjustment and potential energy adjustments due to difference in elevation in the trips.  That's why whenever testing one wants to test round trips at about the same ambient temperature with the car warmed up to negate elevation and temperature differences.. 

Both of these trips were reset on the entrance ramps to the highway. I had the air conditioner set to 74 or 75. While I was driving the pre install trip the outside temperature was 79 degrees. I didn't notice the temperature on the second trip but it was about 1 1/2 hours later and most likely about 80 or 81 degrees. I know for a fact that the battery level was about 90% at the beginning if the pre install. I didn't stop to take a picture of the battery level on the beginning of the post trip. I drove from the dealership to the highway and knowing how i drive I have to guess the level was at least 3/4 full. The car was definitely warmed up before the pre install. If it helps to determine if the car was warmed up on the way from the dealership before I reset for the post install I traveled about 2 miles at an average of 35 to 40 mph. It's not perfect but hopefully it will give you an approximation of the FE. Please let me know after you read this information what you would estimate the FE.

I had both the FE update and the headliner done today.  Posting pictures:

Before (with the red barn in the background)

post-950-0-72982100-1375237217_thumb.jpg

After

post-950-0-13495700-1375237231_thumb.jpg

As for the FE update, I noticed the EV+ was gone, but since I picked it up on my way home, there was no more freeway driving ahead of me.  I know what I generally get in gas mileage from the dealership to home, but I don't think today's test was a good one.  Usually by the time I get there my SOC is very high, making the trip on the slower, rural highway more EV than ICE.  When I picked it up and drove home, the dealership had apparently been tooling around the parking lot for a while....SOC was almost nothing, so I actually got worse mileage on the way home than usual.  Add in the road construction, which is usually finished by the time I drive through there and usually doesn't stop me at the bottom of a hill, and you have the makings of a really terrible trip FE wise.

Tomorrow morning is expected to be about the same temperature as this morning, and I know where the little blue thermometer turned white over the last few days.  I will be able to report back if the engine warms up quicker than before, and I will be able to tell if there is a difference in my morning commute.  I'm usually through the never ending road construction area long before the crew shows up, so my commute should be "normal" tomorrow.

Crossing my fingers for an improved FE! 

I had the update today and here's the results.  I made notes under the pictures.

null_zps8eeaf5b1.jpg?t=1375136544373a9a76-074a-40ad-918f-e8e0e4315edc_zps

This picture is the end of the trip with pre update.                                                                         This picture is the end of the trip post update.

I used cruise control because there was heavy traffic and lots of hills.  It seemed like the most efficient way to track the mpg.  Half of the trip was at 65 and the other half 70.  I also had a few times that I had to deal with traffic and slow down etc.  

Thats astounding CMaxGo....I am slowly getting convinced. See that EV at 70 is amazing....as much as I weep the loss of the ICE High MPG with the eco-cruise method...looks like I'll have to do this manually...may be. Not?

Mind you at 70mph, that battery will go down SUPER QUICK....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

There are so many threads related to this FE update that I can't find the comment to quote it, but someone wrote that the update did not make the C-Max a different beast.  Perhaps not, but it will change how I drive, I think, and it changed the beast's "personality" a bit.  I did see improvement in my FE.....been averaging about 41.5 mpg on my daily trip into work, with around 8 of 30 miles in EV.  This morning I was at 43.6 mpg with 13.5 miles in EV mode. 

Some things I noticed: 

I watched the temp guage for the last few days to see where the indicator changed color.  This morning is started off showing it was warmed up enough, even though it was 5 degrees cooler than yesterday morning. 

The early part of my drive into work is very hilly, lots of steep hills and curves.  I noticed when I got to the freeway, there was a lot more time spent in EV mode, however where I used to have a stretch of several miles using ICE I would get that marvelous feeling when I'd see the ICE running but still getting that 60+ sign!  Didn't get that this morning at all - when ICE was running, only one time did I have the EV assist thing going.  Probably more about learning to get the balance back than anything else.

The last thing I noticed was when I got to my exit.  Usually I have a full charge at that point and I stay mostly in EV as I drive down the access road and head into the parking lot.  My SOC was very low this time, so I used more ICE than I'm accustomed to at that part of the trip.  Again, I think it's more about me figuring out the best way to balance things.

All in all, it was a pretty normal trip into work - I was running a touch late, so I pushed the speed a bit more than usual, and I bumped it up to over 70 a couple of times to ensure the FE update took.

So has anyone who has had the 13B07 update been told that the grill shutters were activated as a part of this flash? For short trips in and around town, having faster warmups would contibute to better fuel economy.

Surely the ford service managers would have an understanding of the scope of this process?

11Sti is correct - in My view you can scroll thru several options until you find the temp display.  This morning I had the temp display on the right and the trip meter on the left so I could gauge when the engine was warm and compare it to previous days.

Shelly...............Where is the temp guage............ :noobie:

So has anyone who has had the 13B07 update been told that the grill shutters were activated as a part of this flash? For short trips in and around town, having faster warmups would contibute to better fuel economy.

Surely the ford service managers would have an understanding of the scope of this process?

I forget where, but one of the articles describing the update listed more aggressive use of grille shutters as one of the changes.

Service managers are hired by the dealers, I've seen them vary from pure salespeople to individuals who know and can explain every detail. It's one of those things where the dealer can really change your experience for the good or the bad. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

New member here, I'm getting the 13B07 update tomorrow morning...  I know you guys were interested in a highway comparison, so I set one up.

I did a test run tonight before the update, 9 miles of highway at 70mph on EcoCruise (with 5 miles hwy prior to resetting Trip 2, to get the engine fully warmed and the battery charged up).  For the complainers I also recorded when I got back to my starting point at 21.2 miles (which includes a little off-highway for turning around).  Took photos of my Trip 2 at the start, 9mi, and 21.2mi.

I'll run the same test run tomorrow night, and will post the comparison photos here for everyone to see.