C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Tricky issue

Measuring fuel economy can be tricky - an issue well highlighted by Ford Motor Co.'s Fusion sedan win of the "Green Car of the Year" at the L.A. auto show.

The Fusion hybrid is estimated to get 47 miles per gallon, although early tests by Consumer Reports magazine signal that the Fusion hybrid, like other hybrids that have been tested, has not come near that figure.

Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood said the company was expecting to see a wider range for fuel economy on its new generation of hybrids because it is not asking drivers to compromise on vehicle performance.

"If you want to drive for maximum fuel economy, the car has the tools. You can do it," Sherwood said. "If you want to drive 80 miles per hour on the highway you aren't going to get 47 miles per gallon."

A hybrid is an automobile with more than one power source, such as an electric motor and an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor with a battery and fuel cells for energy storage.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20121129/OEM/121129846#ixzz2DkEpqzIE

I tried some tests today. The conditions weren't the greatest with 10-15 mph winds out of the south and temps at 55 degrees. The test I did involved going 10.3 miles north and 10.3 miles south on the freeeway at a steady speed with Eco Cruise on. I started and stopped measuring the mileage at the same point each way to balance the wind and elevation differences between the two points and then averaging the mileage. Based on these tests and differences between actual and indicated mileage I had measured before at an average of 2.9% here is what I found. The 70 is a little off because I had to slow a couple times on the north trip. So, for what it's worth...

55 mph 51.6 mpg indicated 50.1 actual 9.4 ev miles
60 mph 46.0 mpg indicated 44.67 actual 6.7 ev miles
65 mph 43.15 mpg indicated 41.9 actual
70 mph 40.75 mpg indicated 39.57 actual

Oh, and I had my best tank yet today at 44 mpg over 480.5 miles. Considering the temps not too bad but I have been trying hard and compared to my Civic Hybrid still disappointing.

Edited by rkk

I made a few trips yesterday and today. The best REAL result was 47.8. Today-s trips show some 39+ some 40+, but they involved mountains, fast moving traffic, rain and wind and night time with climate control working (but A/C off).

What I find out:

- Premium gas in CA makes some difference

- Tires must have 38 - 48 psi pressure (they had 34 when I checked them first time)

- Night time, rain, wind, working climate control dramatically decrease mpg

- The best results are when I ride on cruise with 63 mpg and then in small city (as usual, 35 - 40 mph and almost 100% on breaking)

- Mountains drops mpg too, as even if battery have enough capacity to charge on discent (our is not big enough, even in moderate mountains), energy do not recuperate 100%.

- Break in time is important too - moleage was dramatically low until 1000 - 1200 miles.

- Cruising faster then 63 mph eliminates EV mode and it decreases mpg.

So I think that EPA tests can show about 42 - 45 mpg, especially if they never drive 70 - 75 or in mountains.

Edited by stranger267

I tried some tests today. The conditions weren't the greatest with 10-15 mph winds out of the south and temps at 55 degrees. The test I did involved going 10.3 miles north and 10.3 miles south on the freeeway at a steady speed with Eco Cruise on. I started and stopped measuring the mileage at the same point each way to balance the wind and elevation differences between the two points and then averaging the mileage. Based on these tests and differences between actual and indicated mileage I had measured before at an average of 2.9% here is what I found. The 70 is a little off because I had to slow a couple times on the north trip. So, for what it's worth...

55 mph 51.6 mpg indicated 50.1 actual 9.4 ev miles

60 mph 46.0 mpg indicated 44.67 actual 6.7 ev miles

65 mph 43.15 mpg indicated 41.9 actual

70 mph 40.75 mpg indicated 39.57 actual

Thanks for the speed by speed results, that's helpful.    

I made a few trips yesterday and today. The best REAL result was 47.8. Today-s trips show some 39+ some 40+, but they involved mountains, fast moving traffic, rain and wind and night time with climate control working (but A/C off).

What I find out:

- Premium gas in CA makes some difference

- Tires must have 38 - 48 psi pressure (they had 34 when I checked them first time)

- Night time, rain, wind, working climate control dramatically decrease mpg

- The best results are when I ride on cruise with 63 mpg and then in small city (as usual, 35 - 40 mph and almost 100% on breaking)

- Mountains drops mpg too, as even if battery have enough capacity to charge on discent (our is not big enough, even in moderate mountains), energy do not recuperate 100%.

- Break in time is important too - moleage was dramatically low until 1000 - 1200 miles.

- Cruising faster then 63 mph eliminates EV mode and it decreases mpg.

So I think that EPA tests can show about 42 - 45 mpg, especially if they never drive 70 - 75 or in mountains.

My latest tank of gas is averaging 47.5 mpg, 170 trip miles (all city driving), 1600+ total miles.  The one thing I've been doing different on this tank of gas is using the ICE to accelerate up to and maybe slightly above the speed limit, let off the gas to let the EV kick in and then coast on electric until it's time to stop, increase my speed a little or charge the battery.  Many of my 6 - 10 mile trips consistently show 50+ mpg when I shut the car off. 

There has been a lot of grumbling about the mileage on C-Max, but my experience shows 47+ mpg is obtainable.  We have to bare in mind the car is new (still breaking in), a lot of the drivers are new to the hybrid way of driving, and the learning curve does take some time.  Remember, the Prius has been around for 10+ years and there is a lot of trial and error that has been learned and passed on.  Don't give up, driving a hybrid requires different driving techniques.  Learn the the skills and techniques to get the better mileage, enjoy the car, and if/when gas goes through the roof, you've got your C-Max as a hedge to high gas prices.

I have traded my fusion hybrid in for the cmax and find that with he ev speed limit less than 60 I am getting better mileage than the fusion that has a threshold of 42 mph.  I currently have 400 miles on my cmax and im averaging 43.7 mpg and going up.  Great car with lots of pick up heads above the fusion.

My wife and I are having fun with the mpg challenge and in south jersey plenty of under 60 mph driving.  I cant wait for a road trip and check it out.  I like to keep the e cruise off , I seem to be getting better mpg.

later

bill

With the recent run of above normal temperatures we've experienced here in Chicago the last few days, I've noticed a significant improvement in my fuel economy.

70 degrees in December?

I'm getting computer mileage numbers that are almost 10MPG higher than what I was getting early last week when the temps were in the 30s. Same commute, same driver, the only difference is I told Sync "Climate Off" last Thursday and I haven't had to tell it "Climate On" since.

Well the initial testing on my Plastic Center Grill Aero Cover are in and we are looking at 5.1 mpg at 70mph. That's 40mpg vs 45.1mpg with the cover on at 65 degrees F. and 37mpg vs 41mpg with the cover on at 45 degrees F.  I also noticed you lose about 1.5mpg for each 10 degress colder the outside temp. is.

I did several test starting with cold ICE and temps from 45 -65 degress with the cover on and off.  My route was .5mi to Fwy accelerate to 70mph set ECO cruise for 6mi to next off ramp turn around same procedure back on Fwy and off at my exit back to my shop and record the results. Total mileage of 14.1mi. with about 2mi. EV.  I'm working on simple to install kit that only takes 10-15 minutes to install. I'm looking for another CMAX owner that drives a lot of 70mph fwy speeds to test this cover out in the greater Atlanta area. My current average on this tank is 47.1 mpg with 404mi. and premium fuel. I should make it to 600mi on this tank.

Recorded some of the results from my commute to and from work.  Pretty much the same traffic conditions for the trip to work while the trip from work usually has slightly heavier traffic.  Top speed I usually drive is 67MPH but it fluctuates from 55MPH to 65MPH based on the elevation changes of the highway.  My commute is probably 15% city and the rest highway.  I try to drive with constant throttle position at 1.5 bars on the "empower" screen but increase it to 2 bars to prevent speed from dropping too much on uphills.  I try to maximize the charge as much as possible on the highway using only the gas engine.  Then use the entire charge for EV mode once I exit the highway and complete the final leg of the commute.

post-105-0-10304900-1354760806_thumb.jpg Commute to work ambient temp. 53F

post-105-0-67865800-1354760803_thumb.jpg Commute from work ambient temp. 47F

post-105-0-19138600-1354760801_thumb.jpg Commute to work ambient temp. 29F

post-105-0-69659400-1354760798_thumb.jpg Commute from work ambient temp. 37F

Tonight, I was filling up at the gas station, feeling pretty good about mileage on the just-emptied tank since the indicated mpg was showing 40.9.  Much to my disappointment, when I calculated actual mpg based on previous odometer reading and re-fill volume, I calculated 36.4!!  Holy cow!  That's more than a 10% difference!   This is the second tank that has happened to me.   Needless to say, I was very disappointed. 

Has anyone else seen big differences between indicated (left screen) mpg and calculated (odometer and fill-up)?    I can't trust the indicated mpg anymore.  

Recorded some of the results from my commute to and from work.  Pretty much the same traffic conditions for the trip to work while the trip from work usually has slightly heavier traffic.  Top speed I usually drive is 67MPH but it fluctuates from 55MPH to 65MPH based on the elevation changes of the highway.  My commute is probably 15% city and the rest highway.  I try to drive with constant throttle position at 1.5 bars on the "empower" screen but increase it to 2 bars to prevent speed from dropping too much on uphills.  I try to maximize the charge as much as possible on the highway using only the gas engine.  Then use the entire charge for EV mode once I exit the highway and complete the final leg of the commute.

attachicon.gif20121204_161932.jpg Commute to work ambient temp. 53F

attachicon.gif20121204_165247.jpg Commute from work ambient temp. 47F

attachicon.gif20121205_162015.jpg Commute to work ambient temp. 29F

attachicon.gif20121205_165655.jpg Commute from work ambient temp. 37F

Good information, and good mileage, especially at those lower temps.

I would change gas station, I had it happen to me once and I think the gas station pump was off by 8%. All my fillups have been within .3gal or less. One fillup was off by more than a gal.

RaPieR  I was wondering if you thought about trying out my TOCGO mod (taping off the center grill opening)? It seems to improve MPG's a few mpg's especially in cold weather.

sml_gallery_143_17_559076.jpg

sml_gallery_143_17_356425.jpg

l-world results of road testing by Green Car Reports and ConsumReaer reports indicate that neither the C-MAX nor the new Ford Fusion Hybrid live up to their EPA mileage ratings.

I just got a new record 608.6mi with 12.8gal of premium for47.3MPG 80%Hwy and I used my center grill cover. I believe I will get good enough to reach 50mpg the way things are going. I currently have 2800mi so I still think I'm in the break in mode. My Escape Hybrid took 10-15k before it leveled off. My overall average is 45.4mpg and climbing. The bottom line is your MPG is determined by your driving technique and motivation.

The amount of fuel you put in can vary widely from fill-up to fill-up based on the a number of factors.

Yes, that appears to be the case. I checked the Trip 1 reading and it was basing 40.9 mpg on an estimated ~11 gals used vs. 11.9 actual that I pumped in. I guess theoretically it should even out with the next tank.

BTW I achieved an indicated 54mpg on my way to work this morning.. of course there is a lot of downhill road going to work (30 miles). On my way back home I achieved only 36 mpg (last night). Still roundrip average would be near the mid 40s. Let's see what the calculated tank mileage next week comes out to be...

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by kechair

3400 miles on my C Max so far. About 24 miles of my 27 mile daily commute are on the highway, and here is what I've observed:

(original/current)

55 MPH = 54-55 MPG 

65 MPH = 42-44 MPG

75 MPH = 35-39 MPG

Overall, my mileage has slowly been creeping up - I'm getting about 2-3 MPG better on the highway now than I was when the car was brand new. That may be the break-in, or my driving, can't be sure, but I'm a hybrid driver for the last 10 years so I think it's probably some of both.

I don't watch the city mileage as much any more - as others have noted, city- and below-50-MPH driving are not problem areas for this car. It's only the highway numbers that see the big drop-off.

So far I'm greatly enjoying our new car. She is quiet, smooth, and well-mannered. Oh, and kind of fun to drive.   :wub2:

RaPieR  I was wondering if you thought about trying out my TOCGO mod (taping off the center grill opening)? It seems to improve MPG's a few mpg's especially in cold weather.

While cheap and easy extra MPG would be pretty cool.  I would be bothered by the look of the tape at the front just because I get nit picky with small details and I'm sure my girl friend would hate it as well.

Edited by RaPieR

2200 miles total, Temp today, >32< +- 3 deg, Hills and vales, Maine is not flat, Last trip 340 miles,  village, city, interstate (62 mph), back country roads (40-50). Avg 42.2 mpg, Lifetime 38.4

In town only, has been as high as 56 mpg. I have a very light foot, and use Cruse ECO most of the time on the open roads.

I find the hills really chew up the mileage, and the cold does also, usually 7 or 8 miles before the EV starts to operate after a cold start..

Edited by Arthur