C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Interesting...perhaps my engine is opening up and the MPGs are improving. Right now my odo is 2305 miles.

Had a run from the Simi Valley Costco back to San Fernando along the 118 to the 210. Temps were around 65F. 

26.1 miles 6.4EV 1.7 regen and I got a personal best of 40.7MPGs using 0.6 gallon. 

I used the P&G up to 75mph and let it glide down to about 63mph. The big hill climb over Topanga Canyon I eco-cruised at 63mph and thats 3 miles up and 3 miles down.

My previous best for this run was about 36MPG.

I'm really not concerned about the C-MAX's gas mileage. I've always thought that the 47/47/47 claim was too good to be believed, because it stands to reason that a hybrid should get higher mileage in stop-and-go traffic when the ICE doesn't run as much, and lower mileage on the highway, when it has to run more often. Even so, with pulsing and gliding, you can make a hybrid switch over to EV briefly at higher speeds. I've seen our Camry switch over at 45-50 mph. For me, the C-MAX represents a good compromise between fuel efficiency and power, as opposed to the Prius v, which sacrifices power for efficiency.

My main concern with the C-MAX is its longterm reliability. And I won't make any decision until it's been on the market for a while and Consumer Reports has finished their testing -- and all you brave early-adopters have shared your experiences, good or bad.

I flirted with the Ford Fusion Hybrid for a couple of years while I mulled my decision on our first hybrid vehicle. I drove one a couple of times and liked the way it drove and handled. I did not like the lack of headroom in the rear seat (with a moonroof). But what ultimately put me off was complaints from owners about being stranded on the road when their 12-volt batteries unaccountably died -- and reports that Ford dealers didn't really know what to do about that and some other problems. I'm concerned that at least one member of this forum has reported that the battery in his new car gave out.

I like this car. It's smooth and quiet and has plenty of pep when you need it. It's well equipped, even the base model. The price is right. Only time will tell if the car's right for me.

Lifetime stats: 1,013 miles, 488 EV, 88 Regen, 38mpg

Mostly city with very small percentage stop-n-go traffic, once per week 85 mile mostly highway trip.

New England weather, so only has been cool a couple of days.

Question: With almost half our miles EV and really very light on the accelerator, why only 38mpg?

Any idea what the mpg would be if car only had gasoline engine?

As is everyone, awaiting that magical 2-3k mileage for real results.

My mpg continues to falter. Only environmental difference is related to cold weather but I've kept the heat off a majority of the time.

Last fill up:

11.8 gallons

375.4 miles

= 31.8 mpg (display indicated 32.9 mpg)

Lifetime:

3,550.8 miles

1,607 EV

289 regen

37 mpg

About 75% of my miles are in areas of 40 mph or less. I realize the lower mileage is somewhat due to winter temps but could it also be related to the fact that the gasoline engine by itself is not as efficient as perhaps another engine made by Ford which would have had horsepower? Or, is it not that simple an answer?

Edited by Hybrid dude

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Aptos Driver" data-cid="4923" data-time="1356799363"><p>

I'm really not concerned about the C-MAX's gas mileage. I've always thought that the 47/47/47 claim was too good to be believed, because it stands to reason that a hybrid should get higher mileage in stop-and-go traffic when the ICE doesn't run as much, and lower mileage on the highway, when it has to run more often. Even so, with pulsing and gliding, you can make a hybrid switch over to EV briefly at higher speeds. I've seen our Camry switch over at 45-50 mph. For me, the C-MAX represents a good compromise between fuel efficiency and power, as opposed to the Prius v, which sacrifices power for efficiency.<br />

<br />

My main concern with the C-MAX is its longterm reliability. And I won't make any decision until it's been on the market for a while and Consumer Reports has finished their testing -- and all you brave early-adopters have shared your experiences, good or bad.<br />

<br />

I flirted with the Ford Fusion Hybrid for a couple of years while I mulled my decision on our first hybrid vehicle. I drove one a couple of times and liked the way it drove and handled. I did not like the lack of headroom in the rear seat (with a moonroof). But what ultimately put me off was complaints from owners about being stranded on the road when their 12-volt batteries unaccountably died -- and reports that Ford dealers didn't really know what to do about that and some other problems. I'm concerned that at least one member of this forum has reported that the battery in his new car gave out.<br />

<br />

I like this car. It's smooth and quiet and has plenty of pep when you need it. It's well equipped, even the base model. The price is right. Only time will tell if the car's right for me.</p></blockquote>

My mpg continues to falter. Only environmental difference is related to cold weather but I've kept the heat off a majority of the time.

Last fill up:

11.8 gallons

375.4 miles

= 31.8 mpg (display indicated 32.9 mpg)

Lifetime:

3,550.8 miles

1,607 EV

289 regen

37 mpg

About 75% of my miles are in areas of 40 mph or less. I realize the lower mileage is somewhat due to winter temps but could it also be related to the fact that the gasoline engine by itself is not as efficient as perhaps another engine made by Ford which would have had horsepower? Or, is it not that simple an answer?

Go to my 3mpg gain with grill covers thead and I have a graph that shows MPG loss with temp drop.

Paul

So I tested the mpg on my normal commute to work and got 54.3 mpg! Temp was in the 40's, the drive is 55-60 mph and under, E10 gasoline, and terrain is mostly rolling hills. The drive is about 13 miles. Woohoo!!

You can expect about about 3mpg better mileage with grill covers. I should have some ready to ship tomorrow.

So I tested the mpg on my normal commute to work and got 54.3 mpg! Temp was in the 40's, the drive is 55-60 mph and under, E10 gasoline, and terrain is mostly rolling hills. The drive is about 13 miles. Woohoo!!

Good stuff! I get spurts like that when I drive to the gym, its a 12 mile run 90% freeway basically a slow downhill. However, coming back, you're going up the hill and its pay back time - usually around 36mpg...but I did use the NAV a bit now so when I do a "destination home" using the "eco-route" from the gym back to my place, I am getting back 39-42MPGs because its mainly 35-50mph streets and its a gentle upslope or predominantly flat.

Those with the NAV - go the "eco route".

Here's a crazy stat from today's drive:

8343126641_2b94320f24.jpg

This was a run from Encino Hills to North Hollywood mid valley. Here's the route:

8345904617_4d6dc23005.jpg

It's downhill from A to the Ventura and then it's "allegedly" flat from Ventura Blvd to B. Personally, I was stunned by the reading. Mind you, I had a full battery by the time I got to Ventura so there must be something there to push this car along to those mileage. Typically my batts are mid to low level.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Good stuff! I get spurts like that when I drive to the gym, its a 12 mile run 90% freeway basically a slow downhill. However, coming back, you're going up the hill and its pay back time - usually around 36mpg...but I did use the NAV a bit now so when I do a "destination home" using the "eco-route" from the gym back to my place, I am getting back 39-42MPGs because its mainly 35-50mph streets and its a gentle upslope or predominantly flat.

This was a run from Encino Hills to North Hollywood mid valley.

I have the same hills both ways (i.e., the aforementioned "rolling hills), so my mileage is pretty close in either direction.  Granted, I am an experienced hybrid driver and was really watching it to see how well it would do, but still I think I can manage to get better mpg than Consumer Reports without even trying. Not sure what's up with those guys.

Tried a highway drive today to see how the cruise affects the mileage.  First, let me give you the specifics: weather was in the 40's, little to no wind, a full tank of E10 gas, and as I've mentioned before, there's no place around here that doesn't have some hills, so this was on the outer belt highway (virtually no traffic until I hit close to the exit I wanted) but was definitely not a flat drive by any means.  I put the cruise on (NOT the eco cruise, which I don't think I'll use much if at all, considering it would tick off the drivers behind me) on the drive out.  Mileage was 38.7 miles, and I got 39.4 mpg.  On the drive back I turned off the cruise to see if I could do any better just working it myself.  The answer was no!  36.4 miles back, and I got 37.6 mpg. My car is still a little south of having 1,000 miles on it.

From what I've been seeing with mine -- and granted, it's not broken in yet -- if you do most of your driving in the city you're going to love the mileage you get with this car (I expect to get mid-40's or better on my normal commute to work if I'm at all paying attention to how I'm driving).  But if you do a lot of highway driving, unless it's as flat as western Kansas where you are, it will probably be less than the 47 Ford is touting (which also means the combined is off as well).  But that's true of a lot of cars.  With this one, the 188 horsepower it has was a draw for me, as when I go up into the mountains west of me I wasn't sure my Honda Civic Hybrid was even going to make it, it really strained the engine.  I won't have that worry with the C-Max.  Not to mention the ability to merge into highway traffic is more of a sure thing.

So it's still getting better than the doggy Civic Hybrid I had was getting, and it's a much bigger, heavier, more powerful vehicle.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the mpg, especially since the bulk of my everyday driving is 55 mph and under.

See if you can improve on that brake score :-)

I've got about 1,800 miles on my car, into my fourth of gas, with the tire pressure set at 38 psi, I was getting about 39.7 in combined city and FWY driving.  I reset the life time reading yesterday and drove about  80 miles mostly FWY driving, I averaged about 41 MPG.  Here in California, the temps have been in the 50's and 60's.  I have EV+ on and drive with a very light foot.  What I have found is that if you try to maximize your mileage on a California FWY, you will be a danger to yourself and others.  Everyone here drives at 70 or higher.  The sweet spot on the C Max is about 62 or 63 mph, so you will get the "middle finger" :rant:  a lot if you try to drive at the most efficient speed!  I think it is possible to get the 47 MPG but, not if you share the road with other cars or have to climb a hill or if the weather is below 70 degrees or if there is a passenger in the car, or, or, etc.  There are just too many variables in the real world driving experience for the C Max to achieve it's 47 MPG EPA ratings with any regularity.  Sure, we all can find those rare occasions when we have a tail wind on a down hill road on a 70 degree spring day, with no one else in the car, and no other cars on the road and all of the signals are green but, come on people, this is not real world driving or mileage!  I would love to see my car consistently get the rated 47 MPG, but it's just not in the cards!  Having said that, the Prius V is not achieving it's EPA mileage ratings either, so we are in no worse position for having purchased the C Max over the Prius V!  In fact, considering all of the superior technology, excellent fit and finish, ride, suspension, and good looks, I would have opted for the C Max regardless, and I think most of us on this forum would have as well.  So let's quit complaining about it :cry:  and enjoy our new rides.    :happy feet:  

Edited by Generalbeluga

I've got about 1,800 miles on my car, into my fourth of gas, with the tire pressure set at 38 psi, I was getting about 39.7 in combined city and FWY driving.  I reset the life time reading yesterday and drove about  80 miles mostly FWY driving, I averaged about 41 MPG.  Here in California, the temps have been in the 50's and 60's.  I have EV+ on and drive with a very light foot.  What I have found is that if you try to maximize your mileage on a California FWY, you will be a danger to yourself and others.  Everyone here drives at 70 or higher.  The sweet spot on the C Max is about 62 or 63 mph, so you will get the "middle finger" :rant:  a lot if you try to drive at the most efficient speed!  I think it is possible to get the 47 MPG but, not if you share the road with other cars or have to climb a hill or if the weather is below 70 degrees or if there is a passenger in the car, or, or, etc.  There are just too many variables in the real world driving experience for the C Max to achieve it's 47 MPG EPA ratings with any regularity.  Sure, we all can find those rare occasions when we have a tail wind on a down hill road on a 70 degree spring day, with no one else in the car, and no other cars on the road and all of the signals are green but, come on people, this is not real world driving or mileage!  I would love to see my car consistently get the rated 47 MPG, but it's just not in the cards!  Having said that, the Prius V is not achieving it's EPA mileage ratings either, so we are in no worse position for having purchased the C Max over the Prius V!  In fact, considering all of the superior technology, excellent fit and finish, ride, suspension, and good looks, I would have opted for the C Max regardless, and I think most of us on this forum would have as well.  So let's quit complaining about it :cry:  and enjoy our new rides.    :happy feet:  

Or you could buy a Grill Cover set and gain 3-4mpg and be getting 47mpg alot of the time. :)

Not to mention how poorly the Prius V performs in IIHS new tougher crash test, check out what's left of the Prius V in the post crash beginning at 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEs1RBxJMjE

Edited by darrelld

As I've said before, the question is, "compared to what?" If you're comparing your real-world mileage to the EPA ratings, it seems that you'll be disappointed. But if you're comparing it to any gas-powered car with similar utility to the C-MAX, you'll be very satisfied. The fact (and it appears to be a fact) that the C-MAX doesn't get 47/47/47 doesn't bother me. That always seemed too good to be true. But it gets a helluva lot better mileage than my 6-cylinder '07 RAV4, which is why I'm seriously considering it as a replacement in a couple of years. I think the C-MAX offers an excellent compromise between power and fuel efficiency. But I want to see how reliable it proves to be after all you early-adopters have put 40,000-60,000 miles on your cars. So stop goofing off in this forum and get out on the roads!

Not to mention how poorly the Prius V performs in IIHS new tougher crash test, check out what's left of the Prius V in the post crash beginning at 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEs1RBxJMjE

The Prius V looks pretty scary.  The Camry received a Poor rating also.   Even the Suzuki did better than the Prius V.

I think Toyota cut some corners in the structure of the Prius and Camry to save weight.  The C-Max weighs 300# more than the Prius V.

IIHS-small-overlap1.jpg